The Sun and The King

so turn me off and turn me on with your haggard conditions

Sunny decided to throw a party. She didn’t tell anyone; actually, I don’t think she even decided to have it until the last minute. But when Sunny Day has a party, everyone is invited and they know it’s going to be the wildest time of their lives.

It doesn’t matter who you are; jock, geek, loser, poser, prep, goth, or loner. You are invited to Sunny’s party. When she throws one, labels fade and everyone is just a person at Sunny’s party. The hate and prejudice ends for just one night. It’s like high school drama never existed.
If there is a girl you want to kiss, you go up and kiss her. If it goes well then the fire is lit. If it sucked, then all is forgotten.

Theoretically, her parties should be amazing. And usually they are. But not this time.
I’m already half drunk when Mason Richards pulls me by the collar out to the back yard. Mason is twice my size, on the wrestling team, football team, and hockey team. There is no way I could have taken him.

“If you even look at Sunny again, I’ll kill you.” He threatens. I nod but obviously it’s not good enough.

Mason takes his meaty fist and knocks me one in the cheek. And the gut. And the side of the head. He knees me in the balls too.

When he’s done he casually walks back into the house and I can hear his laughs from outside. I picture him with his arm around Sunny and my mind fades.