The Sun and The King

in your copy/paste world of compelling renditions

I wake up to a dog sniffing my crotch. Not exactly ideal, but it’s better than Mason’s fist in my face. I push the scruffy thing away and sit up.

I was still in Dan’s backyard. I licked my lips and they felt broken and swollen.

“Are you okay?” I look up. Hannah Lyle.

“Uh, yeah.” I say out of reflex. “I’m good.”

“Do you need some help?” She lends a hand.

I reach out for it and try get up myself and not pull her down. “Thanks, Hannah.”

“Sure thing.” She replies. I almost have to look straight down if I want to look her in the eyes because she’s so short. She has freckles around her nose hair that covers her eyes.
“So I’ll see you around.” I say awkwardly and begin to go back in the house. But I stop and turn to ask Hannah something. “Were you at the party last night?”

“Yes.” She nods.

“How did it end?”

Hannah’s eyebrows knit together in thought. “Well, Sunny Day got in a fight with Mason Richards and they broke it off. Then Dan sent everybody home.” She shrugs.

I slowly nod my head. “Thanks.” I smile and open the door.

Despite being punched unconscious and left to die, it looks like it’s going to be a good day.