Status: Completed.

My Escapade

9 Months Later

I peered over the shoulder of the tall man in front of me in line at the music store. I was in line for the pre-order of The Escapade’s second album, Like Monsters. I had heard all sorts of things about the album. It was going to be huge, and I knew my boys were going to go far. Jaxin hadn’t contacted me, but I smiled fondly when I thought about him. I didn’t have my closure yet, but I knew that he would seek me soon. Not to get back together, I knew that. The tabloids had confirmed it—the day before my article had come out, Jaxin had found himself a new love—and they were still together. I shook my head to myself, a smile lingering on my lips as Florence Welsh’s voice wailed out of my headphones. I felt a tap on my shoulder and turned around.

Jaxin stood before me, shifting uncomfortably from foot to foot. “Hey, Rory.”

“Hi, Jaxin.” I smiled widely.

“I… I hope you can forgive me. For being such an ass through all of this.” He ducked his head.

“Do you forgive me?” My words came out softer than I had intended.

He smiled. “Of course. Best friends shouldn’t fight for too long.”

“I agree,” I told him.

He handed me a CD. “Here, I thought you’d like to have one.”

I stared at it. Like Monsters was in my hand.

“Go on, open it. Look in the back of the booklet,” Jaxin encouraged.

I opened it up and flipped to the back, where all the credits were. “Track number 05, ‘Shadows,’ was written both musically and lyrically by Rory Alison Walker. Performed by The Escapade. Produced by…” I trailed off and stared at him, openmouthed. “You guys gave me credit.”

He smiled. “I know.”

I looked back down. I spotted my name in all caps in the credits, and a big paragraph beneath it.

Jaxin covered it with his hand. “It says that I love you, I really do. Not in the way I thought I did months ago, but I do. I miss you so much. You’re my best friend, and I hope it stays that way. It says that I hope that you and I will be best friends forever, and I mean it now more than ever.” He placed his other hand on my shoulder. “You’ve taught me so much, ever since we were little kids, and I think that if things had gone differently, we could’ve still worked.”

I nodded, tears in my eyes. I wasn’t upset, no. I was glad that I was getting my closure, but sad that we were really over. “I love you so much, Jaxin. Best friends?”

“Best friends.” Jaxin hugged me, and placed my forehead on his shoulder as my tears slid down my face. Jaxin pulled away, wiped my tears away, and kissed my cheek. “I think we should start over completely. I don’t mean forget everything we’ve been through, but… take it and use it as guidance. We can be like we were a few months ago, but not dating.”

“I agree.” I smiled, very happy to have my old Jaxin back. “So, what made you decide to come down here?”

Jaxin smiled and blushed a little. “My fiancé convinced me to come down here.”

I smiled at him. “Fiancé? That’s amazing! She sounds like a very smart girl.”

He nodded, his eyes softening. “She told me that first of all, I couldn’t just let our friendship go, and second, she wants to meet the Best Woman before the wedding.”

I raised my eyebrows. “Best Woman?” I echoed.

“You wanna be called the Best Man?” Jaxin teased, smiling cheekily.

“Well, we never were exactly conventional, were we?” I said dryly. “Why start now?” I laughed. “I swear to God, if you tell me to wear a suit, I’m kicking your ass.”

He chuckled, shaking his head. He stopped laughing at looked at me solemnly. “I hope you like her.”

“I’m sure I will,” I told him sincerely. “You really love her, don’t you?”

He nodded. “I do. I honest to God do.”

I wrapped my arms around his neck, hugging him. “I don’t doubt it.”

He hugged me back, and then I pinched his cheeks. He let go of me, rubbing them. “What’d you do that for?”

“I’m like a proud momma. My little boy’s growing up,” I cooed.

He rolled his eyes. “Oh, hell.”

I laughed. “Listen, you, text me, Skype me, call me, whatever. Come visit me. Don’t be a stranger.”

“You know I’ll see you often.” Jaxin smiled.

I gave him one last hug. “I love you, man. See ya later, alligator.”

He hugged me back. “I love you, too, woman. In a while, crocodile.”

I walked out of the store and he yelled after me, “I wanna be the crocodile next time!”

I turned and called, “I bet you do, but we both know I’m the crocodile in this relationship.”

Jaxin Ramirez laughed, eyes shining, and I walked out of the store, knowing that it would definitely not be the last time I would see him.

I walked to my apartment, looking back at my life so far. I was happy with the way I had lived it so far. “No regrets,” I whispered. I stopped by The Black Kettle and peeked inside and caught a glimpse of Anthony taking orders. I had avoided it for so long, because I knew deep down that I wanted Anthony, really wanted him, but I couldn’t without closure. I stood still, staring, not really knowing exactly what to do or how to proceed, when he looked out of the window and saw me. He smiled widely and waved, and I smiled back and went inside.

“Hey, stranger,” he greeted me.

I smiled. “Hey.”

“Where’s lover boy?” He asked.

“Have you not read the papers?” I teased.

“I like hearing the truth from the real deal, not the papers,” Anthony replied.

“Well, it’s done and over with.” I smiled at him. “So…” I looked down and traced the patterns of the countertop with my fingertip.

Anthony leaned onto the counter, putting his chin on one hand, the other traveling towards my hand. “So… how about that date we once talked about?”

I touched my fingertips to his. “So… how about yes?” I looked up at him, biting my lip.

He smiled broadly, eyes twinkling. “So… how about Saturday night?”

“So, how about I can’t wait?” I whispered.

I smiled at the handsome boy in front of me. Maybe it would last, maybe it wouldn’t. But right then, right there, I was happy.
♠ ♠ ♠
That's it.
I know some of you may not like the ending, but I do. I hope you all enjoyed reading this story as much as I enjoyed writing it. I really love this story.
thanks to the ghots of you; for commenting on the last chapter. Or next to next to last. Whatever.
I love you guys. Now I just gotta finish 50 Myths. <3

Bye-bye, my lovelies.
--Kat <3