Status: In progress

Child of Burning Time

Two.

Adella was moved into Henry’s residence within the week. It was true that she had been desperately seeking better accommodations; she had been staying with a distant relative who seemed to despise everything about her. The constant ridicule had taken a toll, and she was more than happy to get away from all of it.

She found Henry out back of the house, enjoying morning tea while he browsed through a newspaper. They hadn’t said anything more about Mr. Gray since that evening, but there were several questions swimming around in her head. “Henry, would you mind if I asked you some questions about Dorian Gray?” Her voice was quiet and unsure as she sat down; she wasn’t sure how he’d react to the inquiry.

He set his paper down and stared out into the garden for a moment before sighing and nodding his head. “What did he mean with the comment about you…corrupting people?” She asked first.

“Several people, myself included, blame me for influencing Dorian to become what he is. I never knew he would become so out of control. He was so innocent and kind-hearted when first we met; and I’m afraid he’s taken gluttony to an entirely new level.” Henry said darkly, staring hard into the distance.

She took this in for a few seconds before launching her second question. “Do you know why he hasn’t seemed to age in all this time?” She paused before exclaiming, “He doesn’t look a day over twenty!”

Henry looked at her sharply before replying this time. “I have my theories. But nothing definite, no. Though a part of me wishes I knew his secret.”

“I heard about…a girl, from long ago.” Adella said, thinking hard. “I can’t remember her name, but I heard there was some sort of tragedy and it was the final straw for Mr. Gray.”

“This is one story I wish wasn’t true, because I played a large part in that particular tragedy.” Henry replied. “Miss Sybil Vane was a beautiful young girl, though not wealthy in the least. He saw her at a club I took him to one night, but he was much too shy at that point to talk to her. By chance he saw her face on a theater poster and sought her out. They fell in love, and Dorian would talk about her incessantly. And that’s where I came in.” He sighed, and shook his head.

“I told him that he was rushing into things, and that he shouldn’t become tied down. There was so much more to explore, and should they have a child…well, that would be the end of it. They had an argument one night after he had missed a performance he’d promised to attend. I had kept him at the club that night, convincing him to partake in some activities I do not think I’ll repeat in your presence. She mentioned wanting a child, and he became scared and angry, remembering my warnings. He left her, though she begged him to stay.

Two nights later, after coming back from a lush gathering, her brother James was waiting in the parlor with the news that Miss Vane had drowned herself when Dorian rejected her; it came to light that she was with child, and that it was obviously his. Something in Dorian broke that night. And of course, there I was with my dismal outlook on life, telling him that he needed to forget it and move on; love wasn’t real, and it would have been a dead end anyway. And so he did, throwing himself into a world much too dark for his own good.”

When he finished his tale, Henry looked weary and beaten. Adella put a hand on his shoulder, and he put his own on it gratefully. “Oh, Henry,” She whispered sadly, her heart going out to the old man.

At that point a member of the staff came bustling out and bowed before them. “Mr. Dorian Gray to see you, sir.”

“Send him out here,” He waved in annoyance, replacing the beaten look with a much fiercer one.

“Should I take my leave?” She asked, feeling that nervous sensation in the pit of her stomach.

But he shook his head. “That won’t be necessary, unless you’d like to do so. “

“And I for one would enjoy your company,” That silky voice said from the doorway as Dorian stepped out into the sunshine.

There was no denying that Dorian was outrageously handsome, but Adella wished her heart didn’t feel as if it would burst forth from her chest and soar straight up into the sky every time she looked at him. He pulled up a chair very close to hers and leaned back comfortably. “I see you two have become close.” He commented, his eyes curiously on the girl next to him.

“Mmm, yes.” Henry said absent-mindedly. “She needed a place to stay. She’s proven to be wonderful company.”

“I’m sure,” Dorian commented, an entirely different meaning behind his words. “Perhaps sometime I could find that out for myself. What say you, Miss Snowe?”

“I say it would be foolish for me to be duped, Mr. Gray. I am aware of your reputation, and I do not wish to experience it firsthand.” Adella smiled thinly.

He leaned towards her, lowering his voice and giving her a coy smile. “You shouldn’t believe everything you hear; I might surprise you.”

A shiver ran its way down her spine, and a warm feeling overtook the nervousness in the pit of her stomach. “Adella, Dorian and I have some very important topics to discuss, and I fear they will bore you to death.” Henry said suddenly, watching the two of them.

She nearly jumped out of her seat as she scurried back into the relative safety of the house. Dorian watched her go, his interest peaked. Then he turned to his old friend, a lazy smile on his face. “Why must you try to ruin all my fun, Henry?”

“I won’t let you ruin her, Dorian.” He said, without anger. “She’s not a toy nor a conquest, whatever you may think. She’s a bright young woman with a good future ahead of her.”

“But we’d have such a good time,” Dorian said almost wistfully. “She’s stunning. I haven’t seen beauty like that since…since…”

Words were failing Dorian Gray for the first time in years. Henry looked at him with raised eyebrows. “I’m surprised you remember Sybil Vane at all.”

“Please don’t say her name.” He said through greeted teeth, all the amusement gone from his eyes.

“Why, does it make you feel guilty?” Henry asked with an unhappy smile. “If it doesn’t, it most certainly should. And she’s all the more reason why I want you to leave Adella alone.”

“She’s different, Henry. I can feel it.” Dorian said quietly, a rare seriousness to his voice. “You may be able to keep me out of here, but you can’t stop her from coming to me if she so chooses. And I have a feeling she might.”

With that he stood, a satisfied look planted on his face, all the arrogance right back where it belonged. Henry didn’t bother saying good-bye as Dorian took his leave. He was extremely bothered by the fact that Dorian was right. And there wasn’t a thing he could do about it.