Status: In progress

Child of Burning Time

Six.

Thankfully, Dorian did not dance with her again the rest of the night. In fact, she hadn’t seen him at all since he’d left her. This made her a bit uneasy, not knowing where he was. And it wasn’t because she enjoyed looking at him, or their little sparring sessions; of course not. It was only because it was Dorian Gray, and he could be up to anything. Most assuredly, it was never anything good.

She was exhausted by the time they climbed back into the carriage. It was obvious Henry was as well, his head drooping down towards his chest quite often on the ride back. The two were silent, and she promised herself she’d discuss the newest encounter in the morning after they’d had enough rest and a good breakfast.

Surprisingly, Adella was awake before Henry. By the time he made his appearance in the dining room, she was tucking into a rather large plate of food. He eyed it with an amused look on his face. “I dare say you have enough for the both of us there.”

Instead of being embarrassed, she pointedly took a bite and chewed slowly, a smile at the corner of her mouth. Henry laughed his hearty laughed and joined her at the table, requesting a similar plate fixing from a nearby servant. The paper was perused as he awaited his food, and Adella was engrossed with filling the void in her stomach. Once they had both eaten their fill and were enjoying cups of coffee, Adella finally brought up the night before.

Henry listened without interruption, though his eyes narrowed in a few places. “I will never understand how he became so well schooled in the art of being unbearable frustrating,” He said at last, holding back worse words, she was sure.

“I know I shouldn’t let him get to me, but it’s becoming increasingly more difficult,” She admitted. “And I’ve been thinking…what if he isn’t completely detestable? Perhaps he hides all his sadness and kindness underneath this devilish façade.”

“There is nothing good left in him. I’m afraid he’s made sure of that,” Henry said darkly, face turning red. “Really, Adella, you shouldn’t entertain silly ideas like that. They’ll only get you in trouble.”

Feeling ashamed, she bowed her head and said nothing, instead focusing on the cup that she was gripping much too tightly. When a hand gently touched hers, she nearly jumped out of her seat. “I apologize for being so harsh, my dear. But please understand: many young women have sought to find the goodness in Dorian Gray only to be crushed beneath him and left behind. I absolutely could not bear it if you suffered the same fate. You are like a daughter to me, Adella, and I am much too old to suffer heartbreak again.”

His voice was soft and full of regret, and it brought tears to her eyes. She finally looked up, willing the bothersome tears to go away. She smiled at him despite them, her heart feeling glad. “And you are a wonderful father to me, Henry. I do not mean to worry you; I just can’t seem to help myself.”

She gave him a kiss on the cheek, eyes still glistening. He sighed heavily, but smiled. “Sometimes there are things in life one must do. Promise me that you’ll be careful. I’m always here if you need me, for anything.” He finished his coffee, setting the cup down gently.

With a grateful smile she stood, making to move into the house. On the threshold she paused, a thought suddenly coming to her. “Henry,” She said his name softly, unsure of how he would react. “What really happened to Dorian Gray? You don’t just have theories; you know, don’t you?”

Henry had become very still in his chair, not daring to look at her. “That is not my secret to tell,” His voice was quiet but harsh. “And I doubt very much you will pry it from Dorian. Some things are best left buried.”

His response had frightened her, but she refused to upset him further. Instead she hurried into the house, her mind in a jumble. Her host had sounded so haunted it made her very heart ache. Try as she might she could not imagine what could be so horrifying that strong-willed Lord Henry Wotton refused to speak of it. If she asked in the right way, would Dorian give her the answers she so desperately wanted? There was only one way to find out.

She quickly summoned a driver and informed him that she would be calling on Mr. Gray. The driver seemed a bit uneasy with their destination, but bowed his head and helped her into the vehicle. When she arrived at his residence, she was shown into the salon.

Adella could not remain still; she fidgeted with her hands, moving restlessly about the room. After what seemed endless hours, she heard the handle on the door moving. Turning quickly, she hoped she didn’t appear to be too agitated. Her breath caught in her throat as Dorian closed the door behind him, looking her over curiously. “Ms. Snowe,” He said, sounding a little surprised. “To what do I owe this pleasure?”

Squaring her shoulders, she looked him right in the eyes. “I wish to know…what happened to you.”

There was an uncomfortable silence after her bold statement. Dorian’s expression did not change, nor did he move. He simply stood, as still as a statue, regarding her. A faint blush crept up her face, but to her credit she did not break eye contact. Suddenly he gave a small smile, but it was not amused or pleasant. “If I told you, I’d have to kill you,” He answered, remembering a time when he’d told his dearest friend the same.

“I don’t care.” The words were out of her mouth before she could stop them.

Dorian strolled casually over, stopping in front of her. His proximity made her nervous; she could feel the heat from his body. “Bold words from someone who seems to detest me so much,” His voice was low, a hint of a threat behind them.

And then she did something that caught both of them by surprise. Her hands were suddenly on both sides of his face, and before she could think about what she was doing, her lips had found his. It felt as if a bomb had exploded. Though she had initiated it, she quickly found his hands in her hair. Something hit her back, and she realized it was a wall. His lips moved expertly, and the thought that he’d had plenty of practice crossed her mind. With a gasp she pulled her mouth from his. He planted one last, lingering kiss on her neck and stepped away, his eyes still on her.

It took her a moment to compose herself, and she was horrified by her actions. “Well,” He said, a smirk on his face. “That was rather unexpected.”

“Y-yes. I don’t know what came over me,” She stammered, the blush now bright and rosy on her cheeks.

He reached a hand out and gently touched her face. “You look lovely like that,” He murmured.

Adella feared they would make a repeat performance and moved away, crossing her arms over her chest. “I really should be leaving,” She said, attempting to sound firm and in control.

“Please, allow me to drive you,” Dorian insisted. “It is getting late.”

Reluctantly she agreed. The ride was silent and uncomfortable, at least for her. Sneaking regular glances at Mr. Gray, he seemed to be at ease, his normal smirk still resting on his face. It rather infuriated her, but she said nothing. She was still reeling from what had happened in the salon. What had she been thinking? But the answer was easy; she hadn’t been thinking at all.

When they arrived at Henry’s residence, Dorian opened her door and assisted her out. “Shall I walk you to the door?” He asked.

Surprised that he had asked instead of just doing so, she nodded, placing her arm through his. She barely paid attention to the other vehicle parked nearby. As they climbed the steps to the front doors, Dorian glanced over at her. “Adella, I-”

The doors suddenly flew open, startling both of them. A woman around Adella’s age stepped out, her eyes swimming with tears and anger. “Dorian Gray,” She said in hushed voice, glaring at Adella’s arm linked with his.

And with a sinking feeling in her stomach, she realized this must be Henry’s daughter; the very one Dorian had once been engaged to.
♠ ♠ ♠
Slow going; I'm sorry. This is what I get for working on four stories at once. =P