Status: It's happening

New Years Explosions

Kayne

I didn't say anything when they found me. I guess a life's worth of spy movies and documentaries didn't prepare me for the real world -rather, a dead world. I was just kind of glad that there were other humans out here.
The boy made a noise that sounded like an eight year old shooting a gun, and I just looked at him, my left eyebrow raising slightly. This was a life or death situation, and he was playing policeman with me? Not only that -he looked to be just slightly younger than me, sixteen or so. Good lord, he must have been nuts.
I put both hands on top of the pile, in a relatively flat space, and flung my body up and around, vaulting over the mound of broken whatever-it-was-before-the-world-ended. I felt something stab me, but it wasn't that deep. Nothing to worry about -it would barely bleed. I made my way over to the boy and the creepy girl with the katana. I stood in front of them, still not saying anything, my hands my pockets. To anybody but those who were particularly perceptive, I looked casual and relaxed, not really caring the girl had just killed a zombie-human with a sword, but in reality, my body was tense and my mind racing, going through a million thoughts at once. I felt more at risk than I did at my first surgery. I was so tense, I felt my bones might pop out of place -which they were prone to doing often.
"What's you name?" The boy asked me, and I assumed that was similar to what I heard them arguing about just before.
I didn't know if I wanted to tell them. I didn't think I wanted to open my mouth. So I just stared at him, my face as blank as I could get it -and with years of experience of hiding constant pain, I was pretty good at that. I looked them up and down, and saw they both had weapons -the girl her katana, now streaked with blood from the zombie, and the boy a sturdy piece of piping. He also had a tin of canned peaches, which struck me as odd, but I didn't let my mind linger on that. I saw the girl's eyes narrow only slightly, and knew that she didn't really like me. I'm guessing she hated people who didn't even talk, let alone give his name.
"Wow! That's a great name," The boy said sarcastically. Great -nuts and sarcastic. Whoop-dee-farquing-doo.
The other boy looked kind of angry.
“Okay okay,” He sighed. “My name’s Cale Jones and I have food and a...pole?” He turned to the girl and gestured to her with his pole. “Now tell us your name and what you have.” She raised an eyebrow at him, glancing at his pole and her sword, probably thinking about attacking him. She seemed to me like the kind of person to do that, though who was I to judge?
“Why should I?”
The boy glanced at me, then turned his attention back to her. “We have to work together, all of us. And for that to work we gotta know each other’s names and what they have, kapeesh?”
He was beginning to sound a little flustered, like he was pissed about being with us. He was probably the type of person who went out and did things, where incompetence was a major flaw in the modern world. Not that that world existed anymore.
The girl stayed silent for a moment, narrowing her eyes, before finally speaking. “Harris. Charlie Harris at your service, weapons, supplies.” She didn't give an explanation about her weapon, but I guess we had seen it already. That, or she didn't even trust us enough to tell us she had was what obviously a katana.
“And you?” The younger boy asked me, his gaze flicking over to stare at my pale, slight figure. Should I? I suppose, since they both -even the dark-feeling girl- had given theirs.
“Kayne,” I mumbled quietly, and the back of my neck seared with a burning sensation. I clearly hadn't talked enough. "I don't have anything," I clarified, my throat flaring up again. That would take some time to get used to. They both looked at me. After a short pause, the younger boy -Cale- spoke again.
"Alright, so you can't do much at the moment," He said, slightly skeptically. I didn't respond. "So, what now?" He asked both Charlie and I. Charlie gave a slight shrug, and again I didn't respond. I didn't know what to respond with. I had that problem whenever I spoke with someone -which was thankfully hardly ever- and it always made conversation odd and one-sided. Cale rolled his eyes at us. "Great. One person looks like she wants to kill me, and the other I've only gotten what, five words out of? Jeez."
I kind of felt bad for making him angry, but what could I say? I didn't have any ideas that would be worthwhile voicing. I thought about it, then realized there was something I could do.
"Uhm... I-I am defenseless, so I could g-" I cut off to clear my throat, the whole idea of talking making it hurt. "Sorry. Could go find one?" I suggested, finishing my sentence. Cale and Charlie glanced at each other, then back at me.
"It's a better idea than standing here waiting for something to try and kill us," Charlie said.
"Yeah. Let's go do that, then. But where to start?" Cale said. Yet more questions I couldn't answer.
♠ ♠ ♠
Another chapter. The usual comment/subscribe deal. Tell us what ya'll think about it so far, which character you like best, any suggestions you might want to provide... Any input would be much appreciated.
Personally, I am holding a poll to see which character is most popular at the moment. Inbox me with your vote, and I'll count them and give the final report on the 10th of February, two weeks' time.
Thanks ya'll for sticking with us to our eighth chapter, and to new readers, I hope you will enjoy the rest of the story.
-Kris.