In Love with the Prince (of Darkness, That Is)

Chapter Thirteen: Save the Last Dance For Me

"Sometimes it's hard to remember exactly when my life got this way," Dreama said. She was lying between Taylor's legs, her back against his chest. "I mean, I know things got flipped upside-down when Dad died, but it happened before that. Ever since I was old enough for a job, I'd get up at seven to take the subway to school, and go straight to work after--I was somewhere else before I turned nineteen. I'd get home at ten or eleven at night, and then do homework until one or two in the morning. On the weekends, I had dance classes all day, which ate up my money."

"That must have been rough on you."

"It was. But it was the only way we could afford to keep the apartment. Nate was still in university, and Dad spent money we didn't have on his drinking."

"Was he addicted?"

"I don't know if he needed it, per se. I think it was more that he enjoyed it, the escape of getting buzzed. He was never completely trashed, at least not when we were around, but it got to the point that he was never sober enough to take us anywhere. Or afford to take us anywhere."

Dreama smiled. "But when he was sober, boy did he know how to have fun."

"You're not fond of him, are you?" Taylor asked after a few minutes of silence.

"I loved my dad, but.... Sometimes I think I was a disappointment to him. I was supposed to be his golden-girl, you know? I was the one that got straight A's and earned a spot on the honour roll every semester, and I was the one that was going to get the full scholarship to law school." She looked down at her hands and scoffed. "You should have seen his face when I told him I was auditioning for Juilliard."

"Was he mad?"

"You bet he was. He didn't talk to me for two weeks."

"Did you go?"

"No. I couldn't afford to go. I was so angry--I've been taking and teaching classes my entire life, and I had all the money saved up to go, and suddenly my dad came to me and told me that he needed cash to get out of some trouble."

"What kind of trouble?"

"He'd spent his entire pay cheque at the bars and couldn't afford to pay the landlord our rent for the third month in a row. He said we were going to be evicted if I didn't let him use my money for New York to pay the rent."

"That's horrible."

"And that was the end of my dream."

"It doesn't have to be."

"I can't even afford to take my dance lessons anymore, Taylor. I've come to terms with the fact that it just isn't my dream to live."

She tipped her head as far back as she could to look at his face, and he bent over to kiss her. "You know what I think we should do?"

"What's that?"

"I have a couple friends in London. We should drive down, have dinner, go see a musical, and get a hotel room for the night."

"Are you asking what I think you're asking?"

"Not at all. I just feel like showing you a good time, and we'll both be too drunk and tired to drive back home after."

"You're smooth," Dreama admitted. "I have to work tonight, though."

"When don't you?"

"Not for a few weeks."

"Call in sick."

"I can't do that."

"One sick day is not going to get you fired."

"My brothers will ask questions."

"Tell them you stayed with Gem."

Dreama was out of arguments. She couldn't say that she didn't want to do it--the idea was appealing, and it wasn't every day someone offered to take her on a vacation. Even if it was only for a night. She nodded. "It does sound fun."

"Doesn't it? So let's go. I'll talk to them and get the tickets online while you go home and pack a bag, and then I'll come get you, hmm?"

"Sounds good to me." He walked her up to the door. "I can't believe you're so spontaneous," Dreama laughed.

"You bring out the best in me. Dress fancy."

Feeling spontaneous herself, Dreama put an arm around his neck and tangled the other hand in his hair. "Kiss me," she whispered. His arms circled her waist tightly and they shared a deep embrace, tongues dancing hungrily with each other. They broke off after a minute or so, breathing heavily. "Thank you," Dreama said cheekily. She let go of Taylor and took off toward the bus stop.
♠ ♠ ♠
Title credit goes to the human god, Michael Bublé, surpassed in such category by Josh Groban. It's on the 2005 album It's Time. The only reason I chose this title is because this little scene reminds me of the movie Save The Last Dance (with which I am in love, because I adore cheesy dance movies).
Shout outs to Tiana, and Rob, and everyone who is reading!