In Love with the Prince (of Darkness, That Is)

Chapter Eighteen: Lying To Myself

"So you really do have a date tonight?" Jesse asked. He was sitting cross-legged on the couch next to Lindsay, who was flipping through a book.

"You just want me out of the house, don't you?" Dreama laughed, fastening on an earring.

"Dray."

"Sorry. I forgot you don't have hormones, Jess."

He flipped her off over the back of the couch as Dreama laughed and bent down to get her boots from the closet. "And it's not a date, date. He's just a guy I used to go out with in, like, the ninth grade, and we decided to get caught up."

The chance meeting on the street a couple days before had come only the morning after her conversation with Gemini, and Dreama's admission was still fresh in her head. She and Taylor hadn't defined the parameters of their relationship, and so she should feel no guilt whatsoever about going to knock a few back with an old friend.

"Why are you so dressed up if it's not a real date?" Jesse asked.

"Because sometimes I like pretending I don't spend my life looking after three boys."

"Ouch, Dray."

Dreama walked over to the couch and kissed her brother on the forehead. "You know I'm kidding, love. I have to work right after, so don't wait up. Have fun you two," she added as she closed the door behind her.

*~*~*

"Dreama Margulis. Don't you look nice."

"Hi, Luke."

He held out a bar stool for her and Dreama sat. "So how's life been since yesterday?"

"Well, my little brother's alone in the apartment with his girlfriend, but other than that...."

"You're not worried?"

"Ah, Jesse's a big boy. He can take care of himself."

"I was talking more about her."

"Oh, trust me, the way this girl looks, it's Jesse you have to be scared for."

Lucas laughed. "I could say the same about myself right now."

"That's cute," Dreama admitted with a smile.

"I try."

Dreama chuckled as David came up. "What'll it be, love?"

"That depends. Is Tom working?"

"Yeah."

"Then I'll have a couple shots."

David laughed, and took Lucas's drink order. While he poured, he looked back at Dreama. "You picked an interesting night to come."

"I work tonight, genius."

"Oh, I know. But didn't Taylor tell you that he's singing tonight?"

"Uh... no. I didn't get that memo."

"He goes on in ten minutes."

"I'll be fine."

David passed her two shots. "Drink 'til you're honest, love."

"Shut up, Dave."

She slammed back both shots in quick succession and turned to Lucas. "And this is what I go through every shift."

"So you work here, too?"

"I might as well live here."

"Yeah, my job's kinda like that, too."

"Really?"

"No, I work at a fast-food joint to pay for school. But I could see how it could be," he laughed, and Dreama joined in.

"I missed that sense of humour."

"Yeah, we caused some mayhem with it, didn't we?"

"Like the time we stuck the frog from the bio lab in Coleman's desk," Dreama remembered. "I can't believe we didn't get fried for that!"

"We? You did all the dirty work."

" 'Cause you were too squeamish to cut it open!"

"Hey--I came up with the idea. I think that entitles me to passive observation."

"You were still too squeamish to touch the dead amphibian."

"I clearly got better."

"Why do you say that?"

"I dated Cynthia, didn't I?"

"Ouch."

"One, you hated her. Two, well, you have to admit, she did look a little bit like a dead fish."

"Fish aren't amphibians."

"She had a tongue like a frog."

Dreama laughed. "That's so cruel!"

"You know it's true. So what's up with this guy? The singer or whatever."

"Just a guy I've been seeing. It's no big deal."

"Are you into him?"

"I guess so. I mean, you remember my attitude on dating in high school. It hasn't changed much."

"I guess not. Still a sucker for guys in bands, huh?"

"Yeah. I think it's the voice that gets me, honestly."

"Really? Well, in that case--will I get laid if I take you to a karaoke bar?"

Dreama laughed. "Depends who's singing. Are you that desperate?"

"Uh... recently? Yeah."

They laughed together and Lucas brushed a curl of hair off her shoulder. "How about a kiss?" he asked, leaning closer. "For old times' sake, you know?"

Not knowing why for sure, Dreama leaned back slightly. "How about I have a few more drinks first?"
♠ ♠ ♠
I had the Doug Stone song in mind when I named this chapter, but both Freestyle and Blackfire have songs that are named "Lying To Myself" as well.
Shout out to Andrea, my darling little (half) sister. Her grandmother died last weekend, after a long and hard battle with cancer. My thoughts and sympathies are also with the rest of the family, Dave, Rob, Janice, Steven, Andy, Kyle, and Penny. I love you all!