In Love with the Prince (of Darkness, That Is)

Chapter Nineteen: Consequence

"You looked like you were having fun," Taylor said quietly from behind her. Dreama turned to face him.

"I didn't know you were coming in tonight," she hedged, zipping up her coat.

"Yeah, last minute change of plans. You?"

"Ran into an old friend from school and decided that since I had to work tonight anyway I'd let him buy me a couple drinks."

"Hmm. And the--the...."

"Kissing?" Dreama suggested.

"Yeah, that."

She smiled slightly. "Not so good as I remembered."

A corner of Taylor's mouth twitched up for a second, but his grin didn't last.

"It didn't, um... it didn't really mean anything," Dreama told him.

"Hey, what do I care? We didn't define anything between us."

"Taylor, it was just a couple drinks."

"Then why are you trying so hard to defend yourself to me?"

Dreama had no answer, and so she stood silent while she watched him walk away from her.

*~*~*

Dreama unlocked the door to the apartment at five-thirty in the morning and found Jesse and Lindsay still together on Jesse's pull-out bed. There was a movie menu on the TV behind them, and a bowl of popcorn and two drinks on the table off to the side. They were lying together, Lindsay on his chest, and Jesse had one arm around her waist, and another resting on her hip.

Dreama leaned over the back of the couch, into her brother's face. "Ahem."

Jesse and Lindsay both bolted upright.

"Hi," Dreama said, with a little wave.

"Dray."

"Uh, Lindsay?"

"Yes?" she squeaked out.

"Not that we don't enjoy your company, but what are you still doing here?"

"We must have fallen asleep while watching the movie," she said timidly, gesturing to the frozen television screen.

"Yeah, I see that. I'm going to assume this means Nathan and Craig aren't home?"

"Nathan came in just as we were putting on the movie. He's asleep."

Jesse had long since told Nathaniel and Craig about Lindsay, but they'd never formally met.

"He'll be un-asleep in ten minutes, and you know there'll be hell to pay if she's still here. What about Craig?"

"I didn't see him."

Dreama huffed in frustration, more so at the situation than her brother. "So everyone got laid last night but me."

"Dray--"

"Drive her home, now. We'll talk when you get back."

"I--I can take the bus home," Lindsay said.

"Oh no. You are not going to let him get out of this one. He's going to take you home, and he's going to walk you to the door and explain to your father why you spent the night here."

"Dray!" Jesse protested.

"You screwed up, Jess. Go fix it, and hope to God he believes you both kept your clothes on."

*~*~*

"He did what?" Nathan cried.

Dreama sighed and poured herself another cup of coffee.

"Yep. Found them together on his bed this morning."

"Oh, this is a nightmare. I should probably talk to her dad."

"It's his problem, Nate. You're going to have to let him fix it himself."

"Damn! How could he be so irresponsible? We were all raised better than that!"

"Nate, we all made mistakes."

"It's different now! Something like this, with Dad not around--" He sighed. "Look, I didn't want to say anything, but... I'm getting attacked, Dray."

"For what, looking after your family? For refusing to ship Jess and I off to some aunt we never met?"

"Yeah, that's exactly it! I mean, and maybe they're right! Jesse's not that kid--keeping secrets from us, and getting into trouble like that? I mean, Jesus, I know it's been rough on him, but she's a junior in high school! You know what this could do to her reputation if people heard about it!"

"Nathan, this city is not that small."

"It's small enough that we only have one high school," he shot back. "I just can't believe he wouldn't think of this stuff!"

"He's seventeen, Nathan, cut him some slack!"

Nathaniel turned away, and braced himself against the sink. Dreama folded her arms and leaned on the doorway. The front door opened, and Jesse came in, pocketing his keys and looking beat.

"Well?" Dreama asked.

"She's grounded for three weeks and I can't see her for twice that."

Dreama scoffed. "You got off easy, hotshot. If I were her mother, I'd never let you come around again."

"Dray, I'm sorry," he said sheepishly. "Nothing happened."

"That was not nothing," Nathaniel said. "That was a really big deal, Jess. Did you even stop to consider the fact that she's still in high school? That she's friends with all the gossiping girls? Did you think about how this is going to look to them?"

"I hardly think she's going to advertise it. Look, we're both ashamed of it, but we didn't do anything."

"You were irresponsible, Jess. There's no excuse." Nathaniel sighed. "You're grounded, too. Three weeks, same thing. You have to get a job, you'll work that during the day, and then you'll come home and help Dray out around here."

"What? You can't punish me!"

"Watch me."

"You're not Dad!"

"Don't you ever talk to him like that!" Dreama interrupted. "He's the best you've got!"

Jesse sneered. "Whatever. I'm out of here."

"Jesse!"

He slammed the door behind him as he left, and Dreama slumped against the wall. She closed her eyes, but they flew open almost immediately, because Nathaniel sobbed.

Dreama rushed to him and wrapped her arms around her brother, pulling him against her. "Nathan...."

"What if they're right?" he asked. "What if I'm not good enough for him?"

"You're his family! What else does he have in this world? Who knows better for him than his own brother?"

"This would have never happened when Dad was alive," Nathaniel choked out.

"You're doing better than Dad ever did with us," Dreama whispered, and she knew that it was the truth.
♠ ♠ ♠
Title credit goes to Incubus, off the album Make Yourself. I wanted to use "Repercussions", but the only artist that's ever done a song with that word in the title (so far as I could find) is 50 Cent, and I'd sooner stop quit Vocals class than glorify anything he does. And since, technically, I guess I just did, it's a good thing I'm not taking Vocal next year.
This is more of a filler than anything, but I figured I'd put it up now instead of disappointing my fans (okay, fan) tomorrow.
Shout out for loyalty, and to Kurtis for being such a sport about me sobbing at him the other day.