In Love with the Prince (of Darkness, That Is)

Chapter Twenty-Two: Love At First Fight

Dreama rolled over onto her stomach and propped herself on her elbows. She was positioned in between Taylor's legs, looking up at him. She rested her chin on his midriff.

"What's up?" Taylor asked, running his hand through her hair.

"Nothing, really."

"I don't believe that."

Dreama grinned wryly. "No, you know me too well for that, don't you?"

"Yes," Taylor replied simply.

"You're an angel."

"No I'm not," he laughed.

Dreama slid up his body and brought their lips together. They kissed for a few minutes before Taylor cupped her face in his hands and lifted her head for her. "That's nice, but it isn't going to distract me. What's wrong?"

Dreama sighed and collapsed against him. He groaned, and then chuckled. "Sorry."

"It's not you. Well," she amended, "it's not all you."

"Tell me."

"It's Gemini. She's mad at me because I've been spending so much time with you."

"Have you?"

"Taylor."

"Sorry."

"And she thinks that I'm a pushover," Dreama admitted. "Or a slut, or something."

"Pushover or slut? That's a bit of a difference."

Dreama groaned in frustration and got to her feet. "Jesus, Tay, I'm trying to be serious, here."

He lifted himself upright, looking truly apologetic this time. "All right, I really am sorry. Go ahead. Why does she think that?"

"Because... oh, it doesn't matter, it was just a conversation that we had."

"Hey, that's not fair. You've piqued my curiosity--you can't stop there. What were you guys talking about?"

"You."

Taylor's eyebrows shot up. "Why would you be considered a pushover in relation to me?" he wondered, truly confused.

Dreama frowned. "How long have we known each other?" she asked.

"I dunno--four, four-and-a-half months."

"And how many times have we gone out?"

"I've lost count, to tell you the truth. What's this have to do with anything? That's what we do--dinner and movies and dancing."

"And what are 'we'?" Dreama asked, looking at him expectantly.

Taylor shrugged, looking bemused. "You're gonna have to spell this one out for me, baby. I don't get where you're headed."

Dreama's eyes deadpanned. "Christ, Tay! We've slept together!"

"Several times, as a matter of fact. What's your point?"

"Well... what are we?"

He shrugged. "I'd like to think we're friends. Lovers." She wasn't satisfied, he could see it in her eyes. "Dray, help me out here," he begged. "I seriously don't understand what you want me to say."

She leaned against the wall, anger and disappointment flitting across her features. "Why haven't you asked me to be your girlfriend?" she whispered finally.

"That's what has you worked up?" Taylor exclaimed. He laughed as he stood. "Aw, baby."

"Don't aw, baby me," she said angrily. "I'm serious!"

"I thought it was just kind of assumed by now," he replied truthfully. "I thought London confirmed that."

"Well it didn't," Dreama answered sharply.

"Why didn't you say anything?"

"I told you, I'm a pushover."

Taylor chuckled and gathered her in his arms. "If there is one thing you are not, Dreama Margulis, it's passive. If there's one thing you are, it's my girlfriend. Forgive me, hmm? I honestly didn't know you felt that way."

Dreama sighed and put her head on his shoulder. "Of course you didn't know."

"You gotta tell me this kind of stuff, Dray. I'm not a mind reader."

"Sometimes I'm not so sure."
♠ ♠ ♠
Title credit is to Ephemeris and Fabulous Distaster--they both called their CD's "Love At First Fight", but there aren't any songs by that name.
Shout out to my new subscriber (again--whoever you are). That makes six now. I feel so special.
And since it has been brought to my attention that I must beg, here it goes:
PLEASE, PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD AND CREATIVE, TELL ME IF YOU LIKE THIS STORY! I WOULD POST FOUR NEW CHAPTERS IN A DAY IF I COULD JUST HAVE MORE THAN ONE PERSON'S FEEDBACK! (Not that I don't appreciate you, LovedInside!) AND THAT'S SAYING A LOT SINCE I ONLY HAVE ABOUT FIVE NEW CHAPTERS WRITTEN!
--- On second thought, tell me if you hate it, too.