In Love with the Prince (of Darkness, That Is)

Chapter Twenty-Five: All I Need Is Time

Taylor picked her up that night and announced that he was taking her out to dinner. Dreama stayed silent in the car, not sure how to broach the topic of the afternoon's events, or even if she wanted to. Was it better just not to know? Part of her said yes, said that it didn't matter. Yet a much bigger part kept reminding her of the things that she had said to Gemini, about secrets that were being kept. Why would he tell her that he worked somewhere when it wasn't true?

"Something on your mind, baby?" Taylor asked after a few minutes.

Dreama shrugged. "Just thinking."

Taylor grinned and took her hand. "About me, I hope."

Dreama offered a phony grin back and nodded, all the while wondering where the spark that came with holding his hand had gone.

The restaurant they went to wasn't as fancy as the ones Taylor usually picked, instead opting for quantity over quality of food. There were six different buffet lines, one a salad bar, one a dessert counter, and the other four food from various countries.

Dreama picked at her food, half-hoping that Taylor would notice something was wrong.

"So I forgot to tell you," Taylor said suddenly from beside her on the booth bench.

Dreama turned to face him. "Hmm?"

"I got a new job last week."

Relief rushed through her like nothing she had ever felt. He hadn't been lying to her. "Oh, really? Where?"

He chuckled. "It's kind of embarrassing, actually."

Dreama laid a hand over his on the table. "You can tell me."

"I'm a busboy at the Sheridan downtown. I know it's not much, but they've promised me that I can work in the kitchen on weekends. It won't be formal training or anything, but they have one of the best chefs in the city."

"Taylor, that's amazing!"

He shrugged. "I guess so."

"You guess so?" Dreama echoed. "What happened to your big dream of owning a restaurant?"

"I still kind of have it," he admitted.

"So, then? Isn't this the first step? How is there any possible downside to this?"

"They want me to work full time--twelve hours a day, every weekday. We won't be able to spend nearly as much time together."

Dreama felt strangely let down at this news, even though she knew that it was Taylor's dream. "Well... maybe I could take more shifts during the week... and get Friday and Saturday nights off."

"But your tips are the best on Saturday nights, and the club night is your favourite to dance."

"Well, we can go some times. But the other nights are just as fun. You know me; I'll dance to anything."

Taylor frowned. "I'd hate to think that I'm taking you away from your favourite things."

Dreama reached forward and took his other hand. "Better to give up a couple weekends of dance than have you give up your dream."

Taylor lifted her hand and wrapped his lips around her knuckle. "You're too good to me, did you know that?"

Dreama blushed and shook her head. She kissed his palm. "You deserve it."

Taylor tucked a lock of escaping hair behind her ear and leaned forward to brush his lips against her skin.

"Dreama?" he whispered.

"Yes?"

He took her face between his hands and placed a gentle kiss on her lips. "Will you let me make love to you tonight?" he asked, putting his mouth against her ear again.

"Of course."

"Will you tell me that you love me?"

Dreama was shocked to hear his voice crack. She pulled away from him.

"Taylor, wh--"

The look on his face stopped her.

"Can--can you tell me that?"

"Why is it so important?" Dreama asked, confused.

Taylor closed his eyes. "I can't say. Please, tell me if it's true," he begged. "Please?"

Dreama bowed her head, feeling tormented. "I... I want to give you what you want, Taylor. I really do. But I don't know if that's what this is."

"What do you need? Proof of how I feel?"

She pressed their foreheads together, and gripped his hand tighter. "No. That's the one thing I never doubt any more."

"What, then?"

"I need time."

"That's all?"

Dreama kissed him gently. "That's all," she lied.

*~*~*

Later that night, when they were lying together in his bed, Dreama brushed away the hair from his face and kissed his forehead. When she pulled away, he had his eyes closed.

"Taylor?"

He made an inquisitive noise as he put his arm around her.

"Who do you see when you close your eyes?"

"What do you mean?" he asked.

"When you kiss me. You always close your eyes. Who do you see?"

"I... I don't really see anything."

"Promise?"

He cracked an eye to see if she was serious, and then nodded and kissed her cheek. "Promise."

For all that she was sure he was being truthful, Dreama couldn't fall asleep that night, and spent the hours wondering why not.
♠ ♠ ♠
Title credit to Gladys Knight and the Pips off the album Neither One of Us/All I Need Is Time.
Well folks, this is the beginning of the end. And by that I mean the end of my pre-written material. That's right, babes--there's one chapter left, which I will be putting up tonight because I've promised to get to the reason for the title soon. Of course, "soon" is a relative term, because it's taken twenty-five chapters to get this far. It's also the beginning of the end of something else, but I'm not going to tell you, and you shouldn't waste your energy guessing.