In Love with the Prince (of Darkness, That Is)

Chapter Twenty-Seven: Regrets

The telephone rang, and Dreama postponed leaving her room to avoid answering it.

"Hello?" she heard Craig's voice ask. There was a small pause, and then Craig knocked on her door. "Dray, the phone's for you. It's Taylor."

"Tell him I'm teaching."

"Should I say you'll call back?"

"Don't worry about it."

She heard Craig deliver the message, and then a beep as the line disconnected. Craig opened her door. "I think it's time we talk" he decided.

"About what?" Dreama hedged, trying to slip past him into the living room.

Craig held out an arm to stop her. "How about why you suddenly run from the room every time the phone rings? Or why you haven't left the apartment in days, except for work?"

"I don't know what you mean."

"Bullshit. That's the fourth time you've avoided his call this week."

Dreama flushed, feeling guilty. Nathaniel had noticed the same thing the night before.

"So what happened?" Craig demanded.

"I was right."

"About what?"

"He's hiding something from me."

"What was it?"

"I don't know. But it's there. I didn't stick around long enough to find out for sure."

"You're not even going to give him the benefit of doubt and let him explain? That's a really horrible thing to do after all he's done for you."

"What's he done for me?"

"Don't be selfish."

Dreama sighed, knowing that her brother was right. But she couldn't explain why she hadn't waited for Taylor to explain, nor why she was continuing to avoid the truth.

"I just get the feeling that knowing the truth will cause even more problems than not knowing."

"But you're not willing to have a relationship with him unless you know the truth."

"Well, then I guess it wasn't meant to be." Dreama ducked under his arm and headed for the front door, suddenly feeling suffocated in the tiny apartment.

Craig's voice stopped her just as she put her hand on the doorknob. "And you're not the tiniest bit upset?"

"Craig, that's enough."

"You're not even angry at yourself for not having the guts to trust him?"

"I said enough." This time, tears choked her voice, and Craig knew that he had struck a chord. One that he was going to keep playing until she gave in.

"You put everything on the line for this guy--your job, Gem, us.... And now you're going to let your pride screw all that up?"

"Please stop."

"Walk away if you don't want to hear it."

Dreama didn't move, though her hand trembled on the knob.

"After how he's helped you, he deserves the chance to tell you the truth. If not that, then he deserves the chance to end it with his dignity in tact, which I'm pretty sure you didn't give him."

This was true.

"Maybe you'll find he's worth it after all."

"No one's worth this game we've been playing."

"You should at least know what you're giving up, Dray."

"I do know."

"Then you should go find out why."
♠ ♠ ♠
Title credit goes to Mylène Farmer and Jean-Louis Murat, off the album L'autre....

Shout out to subscriber number eight. That means you've joined the ranks in the last week or so (since it's been that long since I've had a computer to work with *sob*). If you don't want to comment, I'd at least like a little profile blurb so that I know who you are. I want to read your stuff, too. It's only fair.

So, chicas (I'm going to assume everyone reading this is a girl... feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), here's the deal: next chapter, all shall be revealed. In less than twenty-four hours (I hope), you will know the reason for the title, the cause of all the mystery, and even Scott's illness. (Remember him, from way back? Taylor's friend with skin cancer?)

Feel free to guess.