In Love with the Prince (of Darkness, That Is)

Chapter Thirty: Shut Up (And Kiss Me)

Thomas and Craig were sitting together on the couch, drinking beer and watching sports highlights, when Dreama woke up the next day.

"Hey sunshine," Thomas greeted.

"You're drinking already? Losers."

"Taylor called for you," Craig said.

"I bet he did."

"Are you going to talk to him?"

Dreama sighed. "We did talk. Last night."

"That's good."

"Not so much. I... I think it's over."

"How come?"
"There's a point when it becomes too much to deal with, and we crossed it. Feeling a hundred percent sure that he's lying to me is somehow different than hearing him admit it."

"Lying about what?"

"Where do I start?"

"That bad, huh?"

Dreama didn't say anything, feeling that silence would be an answer all in itself.

She was making herself breakfast, and Craig had gone to the bathroom, when Thomas came into the kitchen.

"How are you?"

"All things considering...."

"Can I take you out tonight?"

"I'd rather you didn't."

"What's wrong? When are you going to forgive me?"

"Why is it always about you? I don't want to go out with you because I'm not ready to."

"He's out of your life, isn't he?"

"It's not about Taylor, either!"

"Right," Thomas scoffed.

"Shut up or get out."

Craig emerged from the bathroom in time to see Thomas step closer.

"Dray, I've waited for you to come to your senses."

"Is that what you consider my relationship with Taylor? A leave from my senses?"

"Yeah, to tell you the truth, it is."

"Get out," Dreama demanded, her voice cracking.

"Dray--"

"I said get out!"

Craig stepped forward. "I think it's time you left, man."

"You're kidding, right?"

With his eyebrows raised, Craig looked between his friend and his sister, who was full-on crying. "No, I'm pretty damn serious."

Thomas sighed and turned, heading for the door. Craig moved into the kitchen, and folded Dreama in a hug. "It's okay, Dray. It's going to be all right."

"No, it's not! I'm such an idiot, Craig!"

"Shh. I know you'll fix things."

"I don't know if I can," she whimpered into his shoulder.

His hug tightened, and suddenly Dreama felt trapped, in the kitchen and the apartment. She was sure she was going to suffocate if she didn't get out.

Ducking under Craig's arm, she tore out the door.

Thomas was barely through the door at the end of the hallway. He heard the door shut and turned. Dreama threw herself into his arms, pressing her lips against his.

They drew apart, and Thomas opened his mouth. Dreama covered it with his hand. "Don't say anything," she begged. "Just hold me."
♠ ♠ ♠
Title credit goes to Mary Chapin Carpenter off the album Party Doll and Other Favourites (or something like that).
Shout out again to everyone who's stuck with me thus far, and for not abandoning me on March break like Courtney, Colin, and Kurtis, who are in Costa Rica and Ottawa. I was invited to go to Ottawa, but my parents didn't really like the idea of me taking a road trip with my ex-boyfriend. Go figure.
XO.