In Love with the Prince (of Darkness, That Is)

Chapter Thirty-Four: Does He Love You

Mr. Gable didn't return that night, but neither Taylor nor his mother seemed to mind, and Dreama had to admit that she wasn't very fussed about it either.

After dinner, Taylor drove Dreama to her apartment, where she told Craig that she was leaving for Christmas. He not only took it well, but he offered to help her pack.

"Are you sure I should be doing this?" Dreama asked nervously. She looked out the window and saw Taylor's car idling by the curb and tried to calm her heart rate.

"Stop worrying. I will explain everything to Nathan and Jesse, and we'll order that weird Christmas dinner from Swiss Chalet and save your presents for when you get back. So go and have fun."

"I love you, Craig."

"I love you, too, little sister."

"Don't starve, don't start a fire, and don't call me."

*~*~*

"So we will get there in the morning," Taylor said as they shuffled onto the plane, "and then you and mom are going to go dress shopping--some high-end boutique or whatnot--for the banquet."

"Taylor--"

"Dress is on us, as is the spa day she has planned. I think she wants to get a little bonding time in with you. I'm going to lounge around the hotel room and the banquet hall, making sure everything gets done, and then I'll meet you back upstairs in our room."

"To do what?"

"Officially we're supposed to sleep, but you know how that goes," he chuckled. "The banquet starts at sundown with the speech, then dinner, and the silent auction goes until sunup."

"That is a long night."

"Well, it actually caters to the young and rich, so people tend to last. It's pretty awesome. We have candles and music and food...."

Dreama took her seat and kissed Taylor's cheek. "I love you."

"I know."

"Hey! You're supposed to say it back!"

"Oh. Sorry."

*~*~*

"Mrs. Gable, really, I can't ask you to pay for this."

"It's no big deal, darling. It's on Joshua's credit card."

Dreama shifted a hanger to look at another dress, this one of shiny teal satin, with a low-cut v-neck, long slit up the left leg, and a small train.

"That's pretty," Taylor's mother commented from her chair by the window. Dreama lifted it from the rack.

"I was hoping for something a little more modest. So where is Mr. Gable, anyway?"

"In Philadelphia with his mistress."

"What?" Dreama turned, still holding the dress. "Does he know you know?"

Mrs. Gable sighed and stood, coming over to the dress rack. "Joshua knows I'm not an idiot. He's careful to hide it from the public, to not embarrass me. And Taylor doesn't know," she added forcefully, and Dreama understood that she was supposed to keep quiet about it.

Dreama put the teal dress back on the hook. "Why do you put up with it?"

Mrs. Gable offered a bracing smile. "I think you and I are alike, Dreama. We have the power to forgive anything from the man we love."

Dreama shook her head. "I don't think I could ever do that."

"I get my vindication."

"How?" Dreama asked, disbelievingly.

"Because when he leaves her, he's coming back to me, and she knows it."

Dreama had to laugh a little at that. But she still didn't agree. "I couldn't just watch him walk away from me like that. I'm too proud to share him."

"Taylor is nothing like his father. You don't have to worry."

Dreama sighed. "I do. Just not about that."
♠ ♠ ♠
Title credit goes to Reba McEntire. It's on a few CD's, but I have the version on her #1's album. The title doesn't fit with the chapter, but the actual song does.
Anyway, sorry this took so long to get up... I have a short-story project in two different classes at school right now, plus I've been invited to join honour band (I have to learn five pieces by Friday), Kill Cancer Laurier just got through with a campaign, and my WC class is putting together a Zine that I've been feverishly collecting submissions for. I hate that writing this has to take a back-burner, because it really is a stress buster, but there it is.
So, shout out to anyone who is reading this, for putting up with me.