In Love with the Prince (of Darkness, That Is)

Chapter Thirty-Seven: My Front Porch Looking In

The day passed far too quickly for Dreama's taste, and soon they were leaving the yacht to return to the hotel, where Taylor's parents were waiting in the dining room.

"Nice of you to join us," Mr. Gable said a little coolly as the two of them came back downstairs, having changed into street clothes.

"You, too, Dad," Taylor replied as he held out Dreama's chair for her, pretending not to notice the tone of his father's voice. "I believe you know my girlfriend."

"Yes, Ms. Margulis, of course." He pronounced the "s" at the end of her name, and Dreama fought to keep from rolling her eyes. Be nice, she reminded herself.

"How was your day?" Mrs. Gable asked.

"Awesome," both Taylor and Dreama replied in unison.

"That's good to hear."

Taylor lifted his eyebrow slightly, looking between his parents. "Okay," he said suddenly.
"What's wrong?"

Mrs. Gable folded her napkin on the table. "You didn't tell us you had gone for a biopsy."

Taylor scowled. "You talked to my doctor?"

"He called looking for you and I said I could deliver a message, yes."

The scowl deepened. Dreama was confused--wasn't a biopsy something they did to find cancer? But Taylor had just told her last night that he hadn't had a tumour since the one in his side.

"I didn't go for a biopsy," Taylor explained. "It started as a check-up because I was feeling a little low, and Dr. Emerson suggested that I have a couple tests. They found something starting on my neck and did the operation that day."

"Well your results are back."

The phrase alone sent a visible shiver down Dreama's spine. Taylor looked over at her and took her hand. "Hey. I'm okay, Dray. I've done it all before." He looked up at his parents. "Malignant?"

Mr. Gable nodded, once. "They want you to go back for a cat-scan to make sure it isn't anywhere else."

Dreama looked up at Taylor. "How could it be anywhere else?" she asked.

"Sometimes it can have metastized into other parts of skin," he said, quite calmly. "But they caught it early, so it's doubtful." He looked back at his parents and squeezed her hand reassuringly. "When are we going back, then?"

"Tonight."

"Aw, come on," Taylor protested. "It's no big deal! Let's enjoy the vacation a bit first."

"This isn't up for debate. The plane is leaving tonight."

Taylor sighed. He regarded his mother for a moment. "There's something else," he predicted. "What is it?"

"I took the liberty of packing your bags for you," Mrs. Gable replied primly. Dreama felt all of the colour drain from her face, and her knees went weak when Mrs. Gable gave her a very pointed look.

"I can explain," she blurted.

"I hope so. I was a little worried, when you began asking me those questions yesterday."

"No, it's not like that."

"What's going on?" Taylor demanded.

"I found a pregnancy test in Dreama's overnight bag."

"A pregnancy test?" Taylor looked shocked. "What?"

"I already took one and it was negative," Dreama interrupted hurriedly. "I just wanted to make sure, so I bought another one. I'm sure it was just stress, or something."

Taylor had let go of her hand. "Why wouldn't you tell me?"

This was not a conversation Dreama wanted to have in front of his parents. She stood and led him away from the table. "I'm sorry I didn't say anything," she said when they were alone. "I was just scared, and I didn't know what I was going to do. When the first test came up negative, I figured I was in the clear, and there was no point in mentioning it."

"No point? Dray, if you thought that you were pregnant it means I'm not being careful enough. That's my business, too."

"It's not that--there was just the one night, a few days before we had the fight, where we didn't use anything." She put her arms around him. "Taylor, you know I would say something the very second I knew if the test had been positive."

"You should know that I would have wanted to hear about it no matter what the results were. What would have happened if we didn't end up together, and you were pregnant? Would you have kept it from me?"

"What? No! Taylor, you're making this into a big deal, and it's not! I am not pregnant, nor do I intend to be for several years."

"What were you asking my mom about?"

"I just wanted to know... if you and I ever... I mean, would she be sick, too?"

"She?"

"I want a little girl."

"What were you asking for?"

"What, a girl can't fantasize? Look, Taylor, like I've said before, I'm not ready for marriage and a family, as much as I love you. But I would never dream of shutting you out--if the test had been positive, I would have needed your help."

Taylor nodded, assuaged finally. "Hmm."

"What?"

He grinned. "I don't know, really, but just picturing you with some little curly-haired girl in a sun-dress.... It's a nice image."
♠ ♠ ♠
Title credit goes to Lonestar, off the album From Here To There. The name of the song doesn't really fit, but the actual song does: it's a man talking about his family, and how all of the sights that he has seen can't compare to looking into his house at his wife and children.

Shout out to everyone who bought daffodils for the Canadian Cancer Society at school--we raised over two hundred dollars for research! You all rock!