In Love with the Prince (of Darkness, That Is)

Chapter Thirty-Nine: Keeping the Faith

Taylor had asked to be alone after that, and Dreama felt that he deserved at least that. It couldn't have been easy on him to say aloud, let alone to her, that he was going to die.

Dreama called herself a cab from upstairs and waited for it outside. The sky was darkening, which told her that her brothers would be home when she arrived.

For once, Dreama was glad of the fact that all three would be around at once. She needed their optimism, their comforting words and smothering hugs.

And all of them seemed to realise it the second she walked in the door, for even though Tom and two of David's friends were over, a deathly hush fell over the room as soon as they saw her.

"Where have you been?" Nathaniel asked.

"You look like hell," David said.

"What's wrong?" Craig demanded, stepping forward.

Feeling sick, Dreama stumbled forward into her brother's arms, the tears that she'd been holding back in the cab breaking forward in a series of sobs that shook her whole body. Nathaniel and David were next to them in a second, futilely asking what was wrong.

The room had begun to spin, and Dreama felt as though her limbs were made of stacked plastic balls, hollow and ready to topple either way with the slightest movement.

Nathaniel hoisted his sister into his arms and carried her into her room, placing her on her bed, where she curled up into a foetal ball and cried herself to sleep while Nathaniel stood watch.

*~*~*

Dreama woke slowly the next morning, for a moment attempting to recall how she had ended up back in her own room.

When it finally came flooding back, her stomach lurched so violently that Dreama was sure she was going to be sick, but the wave of nausea passed just as the door to her bedroom opened, and David peeked in.

"Hey, you're awake."

"I'm awake."

"How are you feeling?"

"I don't know."

"Do you want some breakfast? We made waffles and heated up the syrup for you, the way you like it."

Dreama smiled at the gesture, and decided that she had to drag herself out of bed for the occasion, even though she just wanted to curl back up into a ball and sleep forever. She padded into the main room in her pyjamas, and was shocked to find that all three of her brothers were sitting at the table.

"I called in a family emergency," Nathaniel explained.

"You guys are so sweet."

"I talked to Taylor's... uncle, I think. Rob?"

"His godfather. Why did you do that?"

"He called asking about you, and I decided that we should probably know what's going on."

Dreama looked down at her lap. "So you know."

"I'm sorry, Dray."

Tears were threatening again. "How do I do it?" she asked, her voice cracking. "How do I go back to what I used to have when I'm not the same person?"

"You don't know you'll have to."

"You know that's not true. They've already said that nothing can be done."

"That's one doctor's opinion, Dray. I'm sure there's something someone can do. Why don't you call Taylor? Surely he needs someone to talk to."

"I will, but I don't really think he wants me there."

"He's probably just scared. We men aren't as tough as we look, sometimes."

Dreama laughed. "The day you guys actually need a woman to get along is going to be one for the record books."

David stood. "Do you guys mind if I take off? I promised Lindsay we'd do something today--I haven't seen her in two weeks."

Dreama shook her head. "Say hi for me."

"Of course."

David, in a rare moment of affection, kissed the top of her head. "And you're wrong, Dray. We need you."

*~*~*

Dreama raised her hand to knock on Taylor's door, but it burst open. Standing in the doorway, Robbie and Taylor were both struggling with suitcases that looked fit to burst.

"What's going on?"

Taylor dropped the suitcases and grinned, pulling her into a hug.

"Hey, we were just going to come and get you."

Dreama leaned back to look him in the eye. "Get me? What are you talking about?"

Taylor's smile widened. "Dad found a surgeon in New York that's willing to operate. We're going to meet him."

"Taylor, that's great!"

"I know." He planted a chaste kiss on her lips. "I want you to come."

"Really?"

"I can't do this without you, Dray."
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow. It's been a while. Sorry about the wait! But the pile of projects on my desk are all due Monday, and then I'll have some free time when I'm not out job hunting. (Which might be always, but you know...)
Title credit goes to Billy Joel. There's also a comedy movie by the same name. Haven't seen it, but it sounds pretty great, and it has Edward Norton in it, so it must rock.
Anyway, thanks to all those who have hung around for this long-awaited (and far less depressing) chapter. I have officially hit 100 readers, and I want to thank every last one of you guys. You rock!