Status: Complete(:

Death is Black and White

Do It, Lotty.

"I'm not scared..." the little girl said quietly.

The boy next to her sighed. He obviously couldn't understand how a seven-year-old wasn't afraid of the dark. Especially this girl. "Yes, you are," he insisted.

"I told you, I'm not!" the girl screeched at him, shooting him a glare that wasn't seen due to the pitch dark. "Now let's go home."

"Lotty, if you're scared, just tell me and we can leave," the boy mocked.

"I'll tell mom!" she yelled. Her voice echoed off the unseen walls.

"Tell her what?" he stopped walking and turned toward the sound of her voice. "That you fell in the tunnel and I helped get you out? That will definitely get me in trouble."

"You pushed me! Just....take me home, John. I'm tired and it's cold and it just doesn't feel right!" Lotty growled.

"So you
are scared!" He said matter-of-factly.

"I am not!"

"Then what's the problem? I can't leave until I can prove to George that you are afraid of something. Every girl is afraid of the dark." John's tone turned a bit pleading.

Lotty's voice went stone cold. "I am not afraid of a thing, John. Now take me home or I'll...I'll kill you!"

John laughed faintly. "Admit it. You're afraid." He was reaching her breaking point. He was definitely getting George's jar of quarters. He was going to win.

Lotty said nothing, just kept walking.

"You're afraid. I know it, Lodonna. You. Are. Afraid."

"I am not afraid of anything."

"You are afraid. You are afraid of the dark, Lotty, you are afraid. You want to go home? I'll take you home when you tell me you're afraid."
Do it.

"Honestly, John--"
Do it.

"You are afraid! Just say it! Please, I want my quarters!"
Do it.

"Pardon me?" Lotty turned around. Her eyes had adjusted to the darkness of the dank underground cave. She could make out her brother's silhouette and the roots and rocks jutting out of the walls.

"Please, Lotty. I'm sorry, I just need that money! I promise I will buy you a new dress. Or some new boots? Don't you want that?"

"I don't want boots. I do not want a dress. I want to go home!"

"JUST TELL ME YOU ARE AFRAID, DAMN IT!" John yelled.
Do it.

And she did.

Lotty wiped off her little hands on his shirt and knelt down. His face was pale and she put her hand on it. She put her lips up close to his ear. "You made me," she whispered.

"It is time to go home, love," the lady in white smiled warmly. She had been following Lotty and John since they fell into the tunnel, and the woman was the source of Lotty's discomfort. Suddenly, though, Lotty trusted her. She took the woman's hand and started down the tunnel.

"Wait," Lotty said. "What will we do about the body?"

The woman shook her head. "I'll take care of it, Love. Here we are, now run on home and wash up."

Lotty stood at the opening of the tunnel where the warm afternoon sun started to slice through the darkness. She turned around to say her goodbyes, but the woman was gone.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'd really appreciate comments and such. I've been giving this story a lot of thought, and though it's my first, i think i can do a good job with it... please tell your friends! (: