Status: Complete(:

Death is Black and White

She Gets Hurt.

Everyone's wearing their jackets today, due to the noticeable chill in the air around us. The sky is overcast again and everyone's extra anxious to get to their cars after school.

"Thanks for driving us," I say to Sam's mom, feeling the immediate warmth in the car when I pull the door shut. Sam sits in the front, then Adam and Josh cram in the back with me. I smile, mostly because Josh is sitting next to me. Also because it's finally winter break.

"No problem," she says in her scratchy, monotone voice that I've grown accustomed to hearing over the years. "Am I dropping all of you off at Lydia's house?"

I glance at Josh as if he might change his mind, even if he has no reason to. Everyone nods and agrees. Trying to make conversation, I guess, Sam says, "So you haven't heard or seen anything from Lotty lately?" I think she's in denial. She still seems to be pouting about the fact that she didn't get to see the ghost last time she "visited".

"Lotty?" Josh asks. Crap.

"It's a ghost," Adam says faux-eerily.

"No!" I interject, for my sanity's sake, and Sam turns around to stare at me. I give her a pleading look and she sighs.

"It's just a joke," I assure Josh. He nods and smiles, but it's one of those oh-okay-not-my-inside-joke-i-get-it smiles.

"It's okay, Lyd, Adam told me about your...um, problem."

The car stops in front of my house and a wave of anger at Adam washes over me. "Oh, so I have a problem?" I snap at Adam.

"You know that's not what I meant," Adam cries.

"Then what did you mean? Because you're making me sound like a fucking mental case, dude!"

I unclick my seatbelt and get out of the car, slamming the door in Josh's face, who obviously intended on getting out on my side.

"Oh. Sorry..." I trail off softly, realizing that I just blew up on my best friends. And slammed the door in my crush's face. But no big deal.

Everyone's staring at me, probably waiting for me to say something rude or bitchy or maybe just to apologize but I can't bring myself to say anything.

"Do you think it was...?" Sam whispers to her mom. Her mom shrugs.

I look at everyone in confusion. "Well let's go in, I guess."

The guys seem hesitant and hang back a few paces while Sam catches up to me. "What the fuck was that, Lydia?"

She says it tenderly, though. Not angrily. I shake my head. "Whatever. Things have just been getting a little hectic with the baby being due soon, I guess. Maybe I'm just stressed."

Sam smiles at me and puts an arm around my shoulders. As proof to this theory, my home is chaos at the moment. I walk inside and Miranda's on the couch, screaming at Bryan.

"Why don't you just fucking move in?" She yells.

Bryan looks like a deer stuck in the headlights. I roll my eyes at both of them, and the rage that was built up inside me in the car is slowly making its way back into my system.

"We can't support the baby if I don't have a job, Miranda... I need to focus on studying..." I can feel the weakness of his excuses like a balloon. And Miranda's shrieks are needles jabbing at them.

"You need to focus on the fucking baby! Where were you yesterday during the ultrasound? Studying?" The tension in the air is embarassing. I look at my friends with wide eyes and quickly edge into the hallway.

"What the hell are all these people doing here?" Miranda screams at me from her pedestal on the sofa.

"What the hell are you doing in my business? How about you get out of my ass?" I bitch at her, waving my hand to let Sam lead everyone into my bedroom and out of the battle front. They follow her out and I take a step towards Miranda.

"Now could you two stop arguing? That can't be good for the baby."

Miranda glares at me with so much hate, I can barely recognize her.

"Get. The hell. Out." She growls.

"You can't tell me where to go, you hormonal bitch. I'll be in my room."

"No! Get the hell out of the house! You and your stupid ass friends are just gonna eavesdrop on our conversation, so--"

"Conversation?" I shriek, waving my arms. "You screaming at your boyfriend so loud that the fucking president can probably hear you isn't my idea of a conversation! You act like we care about your petty little arguments! Just shut the fuck up and we won't have to hear what you're saying!"

I take a deep breath and suddenly Miranda bursts into tears. Bryan takes a step closer and she flicks him off.

"Fuck off, Bryan. If you can't move in, you should just leave," she says between sobs. "And don't come back."

I gape at them, anger still coursing through my veins, saying nothing. After a long minute, Bryan says, "I'm not leaving this baby." There's a hurt in his eyes that I've never seen before in a person. My sister is such a bitch. "But I'll go. For now. I'll get my things and... we'll figure this out. I'll be back at 6 tonight."

Miranda says nothing, but she lets Bryan kiss her forehead and he walks out the door.

"You better hope he comes back," is all I say and I turn around.

"Fucking bitch!" Miranda screams and something hard hits me in the head, knocking me to the ground.

She gasps loudly and I groan, the smell of blood filling the room.

A door slams shut and I hear footsteps. "What the hell happened?" I hear Adam's voice directed at my sister.

"Did you...throw that at her?" Josh's voice comes next. Sam's shaking me but I can't move. I feel like I'm in a cacoon, a cacoon suffocating me and making me sweat and killing me.

"No! I've been sitting here the whole time!"

Sam stops shaking me. "But you keep it on that shelf across the room, right?"

Miranda whimpers. Josh speaks again. "What's that smell...Oh my god, guys. She's bleeding..."

And that's when I slipped into unconciousness.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, so I'm changing the spelling of Bryan's name because I think it used to be Brian. But I'm more used to spelling it this way so that's why :)

I'll update soon, I know what comes next. We're almost done, kids!

So tell me! Who's your favorite character? Leave a comment :)