Status: Complete(:

Death is Black and White

And She Didn't Even Scream.

"Halloween is so stupid, though, Sam," I groan while she rifles through a rack of used clothing.

She rolls her eyes. "You're stupid! Now what do you think of this?" She holds up a baggy brown dress-shirt thingy.

"Hmmm, if you're going as a paper bag, maybe," I laugh and lean against the thrift store wall.

Sam furrows her brow and hangs the brown thing back up. "Have you seen that girl lately?" She says nonchalantly while focusing on a pair of leather pants with sunglasses printed on them. She cringes and puts it back.

I raise my head. It's been three weeks since I saw that little girl get hit by a car then walk away from it. I actually hadn't thought about it in days.

"No," I sigh, rubbing my forehead. "I don't even think I've seen her before that. I can't remember any details about her face, what color the car was that hit her... Ughh this kills me!"

"Jeez, that's frustrating! Maybe..." Sam trails off.

"Maybe what?" I ask, even though I know what she was planning on saying.

"Nothing."

"I know, I know. What if I imagined it? What if it was really just a dream or something?" I suggest. Sam nods. "I really don't know. Maybe we should just forget it happened."

With that, we drop the subject and keep looking for Sam's Halloween costume.
~_~_~_~_~_~_~

Nine deaths in one summer.
Nine funerals.
Nine
murders.

"Make it ten," the voice whispered.
Sometimes the woman showed up in person, but lately she had been nothing but a voice to Lotty.

Lotty combed her hair, feeling numb. Her skin was paler than it was two months ago, back when she killed John. She looked tired and older, with darker hair and darker eyes. Lotty's hair was golden yellow until her fourth murder. It was now a dishwater blonde. It didn't make a difference though, because Lotty was stronger. The voice was right; she felt like she could take on anything.

She set the brush down on her lap, picking at the loose hairs between the bristles. "Who?" Lotty whispered softly.

The voice seemed to be contemplating. "Why don't you choose, love? It's your tenth one, you deserve a treat," it finally decided.

Lotty slumped her shoulders. She never made decisions like this before. "Oh dear... I'm not sure. Sylvia Michealson is a bit unfriendly. She took the penny I found last December. I wanted to buy candy with that."

The cold hands rubbed Lotty's shoulders and ran across her cheek. They were so comforting, but she couldn't stop the anger swelling in her chest. She bit back tears, not wanting to seem weak. "When should I..?"

"Tonight will be acceptable..." The voice paused. "She will need to fetch some water before supper, I'll make sure of it. You can meet her at the well at about six 'o clock."

Lotty smiled. "You'll do everyone a favor by killing this one. She's too spoiled. Good luck," the voice whispered sweetly.

At five thirty, Lotty set out to the well. It was a twenty minute walk and she planned on waiting in the bushes for a while in case Sylvia came early. Lotty knew better, though. The voice always kept her promises; Sylvia would be here at exactly 6, on the dot.

Sylvia had a light step, and she swung the bucket back and forth as she skipped to the well. Her dress was nicer than Lotty's. It had lace and her stockings were hole-free. Sylvia's mother pinned up her hair every day unlike Lotty's mother, who never had time. It took her mom twice as long to do anything in the house any more. She was always worrying, always out of it. Lotty couldn't help but resent Sylvia. She didn't need that extra penny last December; her family was rich.

Lotty stepped out of the bushes. Sylvia smiled. "Hello, Lotty!" She smiled. "I'm getting water for supper! We're having a roast!" This girl was so freaking peppy. It was probably all an act.

"Here," Lotty beamed, reaching for the bucket. "Why don't you let me help you with that?"

"Gee, Lotty! Thank you!" Sylvia handed off the bucket.

"So," Lotty said, "I really like your dress. Did your Gran make it? It's simply beautiful!" She lowered the bucket down into the well and scooped up some water.

"Thank you!" Sylvia replied, fingering the hem. "And yes, actually! My Nana made it for my birthday!"

Lotty unhooked the bucket and took it by the handle with both hands.

"Maybe I can ask her to make you--" Sylvia started, but was interrupted.

Lotty hefted up the bucket and swung all her weight around to smack the bucket right into Sylvia's skull. She groaned and her knees buckled, then she crumpled to the ground, holding her bleeding head. Lotty lifted Sylvia back to her feet and sat her on the edge of the well.

"I'm sorry! I must have slipped..."

Sylvia just whimpered.

"Here," Lotty said, ripping a swatch of lace off of Sylvia's dress. "Let me stop the bleeding."

She raised the fabric to the girl's forehead and narrowed her eyes. "You're a spoiled brat."

And Sylvia didn't even scream when she plummeted down the dark well.

~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~

My phone is ringing. I rolled over and make an angry face. "Hello?" I groan with a scratchy throat.

"HAPPY HALLOWEEN!" Sam and Adam shout in unison on the other end.

"Is it?" I retort, my strained voice dripping with sarcasm.

"Yes! It's gonna be so fun tonight trick-or-treating!" God, she is so happy. Who has this much energy this early in the morning... I look at the clock. 11:17. Shit, I take that back.

I push off my blankets and put my glasses on. "Jeez, Sam. You're, like, high off of Halloween. Take a chill pill." I can hear Adam chuckle in the background.

"Yeah, yeah," Sam says. "When are you coming over? I've tried calling for like two hours and you didn't answer. Did you just wake up?"

I stretch out my arms and remember my creepy little dream. "Yeah, I just woke up. I was up all night. I kept having this nightmare and slept like shit."

"Oh," says Sam with sympathy. Then she laughs. "You had a nightmare on Halloween. Coincidence? I think not. You can tell me about it when you get here. It'll be fun, like a scary story!"

I shake my head and smirk. "I'll bring the flashlight!" I laugh and get my costume together, pull on a hoodie, and roll out of my room for breakfast.

A night of scary stories, free candy, complete darkness, and monsters galore? Let the games begin.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry, would have been longer but my dad's making me go upstairs! Haha I hope you like this chapter, and I'm really sorry I haven't posted in so long! My computer has been rather jank-tastic lately and I've been rather lazy. Well, I'm peacing out. Comment, tell your friends, you know the drill (:
byas, -Em!