Back to December

Two

“Goddamn Lex!” Zacky shouted, jumping out of the van. “You dyed your hair again?

She giggled, tossing her now dark chocolate colored locks. “Yeah, last time you saw me I was a blonde.”

Brian pictured her as a blonde, smiling at the thought of her green eyes under her blonde bangs, if she even still had bangs.

“Well it looks good,” Zacky grinned, pulling in his sister for a hug.

“Thanks.”

“I hate to break up the family reunion,” Libby interjected. “But I need to get to Spencer’s before he kills me,” The girl smiled sweetly.

“Right,” Alexandra nodded. “See you guys at the house?”

“How ‘bout you ride with us?” Johnny offered, once again, opening his mouth at the wrong moment.

She looked hesitantly at Libby, then back at her brother, trying to gauge their reactions.
“I don’t know ….”

“It’s fine with me,” Libby said. “You can just grab the booze we bought for them from the back.”

Zacky flashed a smiled at the two girls. “You bought us drinks!”

“Mom said I couldn’t come empty handed,” Alexandra giggled nervously.

He threw his arms around Alexandra, pulling her in to a bone crushing hug. “I knew there was a reason you were my baby sister!”

“Zacky!” She squeaked from his chest. “You’re going to kill me!”

“Jimmy! Grab the goods. I’m kidnapping her!” Zacky declared, pulling Alexandra in to the van. Libby helped Jimmy put the case of Guinness and the couple bottles of Jack Daniels in to the back of the van while Zacky asked Alexandra a ton of questions about her life in Chicago since he last saw her.

While in the middle of talking to her brother, Alexandra glanced back towards the last row of seats where a jet black haired man sat, shielding his face with his fedora and aviators.

She sighed, turning her head back towards Zacky knowing that sooner or later, she and Brian were going to have to talk.

“Hold on a second honey,” Maria Baker smiled, answering the door. “She’s upstairs, let me go get her.”

Brian nodded his head and waited for the beautiful long raven haired, green eyed beauty to come trotting down the steps. He could already picture the huge smile on her face when she saw him standing there.

However, when her face remained stone cold, Brian knew that something was up.


“Wow Zack, this house is huge,” Alexandra noted as Matt pulled the van up in to Zacky’s driveway.

“Yeah, you haven’t seen it yet, have you?”

She shook her head.

“I want to give her the tour!” Jimmy declared, taking her hand and yanking her out of the vehicle.

“Jimmy! The only places you know in that damn house are the bathroom downstairs and the bedrooms upstairs,” Zacky called out after him, but he and Alexandra had already disappeared around the back of the house in to the backyard.

“Lexi?”

She picked her green eyes up, full of sadness in them. She shut the door behind her, coming out on to the front porch with him. She folded her arms over her chest, looking down at her feet.

Sighing, he pulled out the boquet of red roses he had bought for her.

“I got these for you.”

She didn’t say anything, but took the gift from him, holding it under her folded arms.

“Lexi, is everything alright?”

She bit her lip, looking up to his coffee colored eyes. This only made him panic, seeing the mixed emotions in them.

“I want to break up.”

“Wh-What?”

“I don’t want to leave you Bri,” She said, holding back her tears. “But I know we can’t be a thousand miles away and still make this work.”

He shook his head violently. “No, Lexi, we can make this work.”

“We can’t Brian, you know that.”

“Alexandra!”

She dropped the flowers at his feet. “I’m sorry Brian, but it’s over.”