Status: Work in Progress

Get Rid of That Girl

Chapter 2

“I really wish that Haley had won the tickets so I wouldn’t have to hear you guys keep talking about it!” I said slamming my hands down on the table sending some peas rolling. My mom raised an eyebrow at me, she loved Haley, probably more than she loved me. See Haley was the perfect daughter; long blonde hair, honors classes, and head cheerleader of basketball and football.
“Haley was looking for tickets as well?” my mom asked placing her fork down on the black and white place mat. I nodded my head looking down at my plate, absent-mindedly chasing a pea around.
“Well girls, didn’t you win four tickets? Why don’t you bring Haley with you, and Kelly it will be good for you to go do something… different” my mom said pausing before different. The correct word was normal, let us just say I had not turned out the way my mom had hoped. Instead of being like my two cookie cutter older sisters, I had become my own person. You could say I followed more along the lines of my older brother Derek. He was always in high honors classes and was involved in any art program he could find. My dad had always wanted a football star boy, so he treated Justin like the son he never had.
“Mom I hate Haley” I said not looking up. If I looked up, I was going to shoot fifty-foot flames out of my eyes.
“Hate is such…” my mom started to say.
“And it’s a very strong emotion, which is exactly how I feel, very strongly about the fact that I don’t like her.” I said and with that, I pushed my self away from the table and walked up stairs to my room.

I slammed my door shut, despite the standing rule of never slamming doors. I locked the door and turned on my stereo I scrolled through my iPod until I found The Clash. I put it on and cranked up the volume. I grabbed my macbook of the nightstand and sat on my bed. I signed into aim and double clicked on my brothers screen name.

RAGE224: UGH!
DMAN21/7: yes… what did mom/jenna/dad/sarah/haley do this time?
RAGE224: mom just told me i have to go to that stupid concert with jenna and sarah and now we have to bring along haley
DMAN21/7: oh bummer, if i wasn’t in Colorado I would come pick you up so you wouldn’t have to go, it’s in two days isn’t it?
RAGE224: yup.
DMAN21/7: so listen you go with a sign that says really crude things and hold it up and yell boo the whole time :)
RAGE224: mom would disown me. and no im not coming to live with you.
DMAN21/7: psh well fine then if that’s the way its gonna be
RAGE224: i hear mom coming talk to you later, you should pay your phone bill so i can actually talk to you :)
DMAN 21/7: love you
RAGE224: love you too

I signed off just as my mom banged on the door.
“Kelly open this door immediately” she yelled.
“Or what you won’t let me go to the concert?” I yelled back putting the laptop down on next to me.
“Kelly open this DOOR!” my mom yelled pounding her fists against the door.
“Say I don’t have to go to the stupid concert” I yelled back standing on the other side of my door.
“It’s not stupid it’s what normal girls do. They go to concerts and go shopping with other girls! They don’t listen to angry music and wear boots.” She yelled. Then it was quiet.
“Well at least you finally said it” I said opening the door.
“Kelly that’s not what I meant” she said looking sad.
“No mom really it’s fine, I’m never going to be like Jenna or Sarah. Why not just adopt Haley as your own?” I pushed by her and ran down the stairs. My silver Docs clunking all the way down the stairs. I could feel my phone coming out of my pocket, skinny jeans don’t hold many things well. I jumped the bottom two steps and went to grab my hooded vest off the chair in the living room, but it wasn't there. I walked over to the door where my dad was standing holding it out for me.
“Mom took it, but I stole it back” he said smiling. I grabbed it from him and walked out the door. I didn't really know where I was going but I wasn't really thinking straight. After awhile I realized it probably was not to smart of me to walk alone on the streets of California in the middle of summer at 10:30 at night. My phone started to vibrate so I took it out of my pocket.
New Message from Justin:
Hey why are you out so late?
I turned around to nothing but the streetlights. I looked all around me but no one was there. I heard some rustleing from behind me and slowly turned around, bracing myself for what was coming next. A figure emerged from the bushes behind me. It was Justin, I had never been more relieved to see him in my entire life.
“How did you…” I didn’t even have to finish. My dad had his house number, he called him to ask him how football was, he had probably called and asked him to keep an eye on me.
“Your dad…” he started to say but knew I already knew. We just looked at eachother for a minute.
“Come ‘ere” he said and pulled me into him. He gave the best hugs, they always made me feel better. He put his arm around my shoulder and I leaned against him. This was so comfortable, being with him, it felt good. Even if Haley was his girlfriend she probably didn't understand him the way I did. She probably knew that his dad left his mom, but she probably did not know that he listened to Backstreet Boys before games and during workout sessions because it made him angry. The night that his dad had left them, his little sister had been playing Backstreet Boys in her room. Every time he heard a song by them, he would get very quiet.
"So what happened this time?" he asked with that half smile on his face that always made everything better.
"Well as you know they won the tickets, well mom has asked them to take me" I paused for a minute, "and Haley."
Justin just looked at me for a minute and I could see him trying to think of comforting to say. He knew that I didn't like her and he knew she didn't like me, as much as he wished we could get along he knew it wouldn't happen.
"Maybe, maybe this could be good for you guys" he said letting go of me and looking at his feet. I looked at him for a minute bewildered.
"How could this possibly be good for us? She's just gonna be a bitch the whole time and..." I started.
"Hey! You may not like her but she's still my girlfriend don't call her that" Justin said look at me.
"Oh please, do you know the things she says to me when you're not around? The things she and her friends say? Or do you really think she's nice to me, she's faking it when you're around" I said crossing my arms over me chest.
"Just stop, you know she told me that you were jealous of her and that you'd try to get to me and get me to break up with her. I defended you cause you're my best friend, but maybe she was right" he said turning away from me. I just stared at his back, my mouth was hanging open. I couldn't even believe what just happened, what he just said.
"Have fun with Haley, she's the only person you seem to listen to" I said walking back to my house.
"Kelly" he said grabbing my arm. I ripped it out of his grasp and just glared at him. I shook my head and continued walking.
"Have a nice life" I yelled back to him. I kept walking and didn't look back, I didn't want him to see the tears that were starting to spill down my face. I've cried in front of him before, but I wouldn't this time. Not over Haley. Not over this.
♠ ♠ ♠
comment:subscribe