The Necklace of Zedan

Chapter 14

Feacon writhes on the floor in pain. He was preparing to spring at the opponent, but Xibnar was too fast. He was anticipating this maneuver and instead ensnares the cat in his old leash. Grinning triumphantly, the wizard kicks Feacon’s head with his boot.
"I see the leash still fits on your miserable neck. It'll be a long time before I let you offthis leash. I'm going to have to teach you a few more lessons about ownership first though.”
The feline hero shakes his head to try to clear it. Another boot finds its mark and Feacon can only wait to find the reprieve. Viciously the assault continues, as repeated boot attacks at the cat land, until he is finally knocked out cold. Enjoying the spectacle, Xibnar sits down and waits for the cat to awake. He has more pain in store for the un-loyal cat.
* * * * *
Jake rides non-stop until he arrives at The Smelly Goblin. He manages to help Thadden off the horse, while a stable boy brings the horse to the livery. The innkeeper looks up, recognizes Thadden's body, and decides to show Jake to a decent room.
"Don't worry about payment sir,” the innkeeper babbles on as he leads the way. "Mr. Thadden is a frequent customer to this establishment, and his credit is good. I just put it on his account.” Jake nods to the man, even though he does not hear a word. His attention is fixed on the badly burned body of his daughter's protector. A servant helps him carry Thadden into the room and put him on the bed.
"I'll send somebody up to look him over.” With that, the innkeeper leaves Jake to tend to his friend. The innkeeper shakes his head at his foolishness.
"Once again I lost the battle for a room, and this time the bastard wasn't even conscious.” He lets out a big sigh. "Well, on the other hand, I've more business since the last time he came here, and my prices have gone up. Maybe it's in my best interest that I be nice to this thief. It hasn't hurt me thus far. Of course, his friend, who arrived just before him, had just left me a healthy tip. That has helped me make my decision a little easier.” He continues to ponder, as he searches for a healer.
* * * * *
Just a few minutes before Thadden's arrival, Romeelus had wheeled into the stables. Despite all of his previous warnings, he knew he must rest. With the feeling of lead in his heart, the bounty hunter headed into the inn. He saw the same innkeeper that was there the last time he came looking for Thadden.
"Say, did you find your friend Thadden?” The innkeeper tried to remain calm.
"Yes!” Romeelus replied. His tone indicated that he did not wish to speak of the ordeal. Based on what happened last time, he wisely changed the topic.
"What room would you l-l-like?"
"A room with a bed, no windows and near the bath houses," the hunter replied. Romeelus' aching, burned body wanted to just collapse into the dreamy, soft, and warm realm of sleep.
"Here take room 20 and here's the key to the bathhouse.” Romeelus grunted thanks, and then dropped two gold pieces onto the counter. He was gone before the innkeeper even realized it. Feeling very happy about the payment, he was very pleased to have heard of Thadden, and his generous, but unusual friends.
* * * * *
The Duke of Millings'Dale, Clyde Le Frontaine, is a happy man. His daughter is about to marry a very influential prince. It is a marriage both sides of the family are glad to finally witness. Having received no reply by Belghar, Clyde sent a request out to other nearby cities. After he waited for a few days, he finally received a reply. A distant cousin of the Duke, who happened to be fairly wealthy, provided the funds for the wedding of Clyde's daughter. The payment negotiations were set, and the wedding could finally be prepared. Yes, the Duke is a happy man indeed. The wedding is to be held the following morning. Already, caravans, and wagons, head to Millings'Dale to witness "the wedding of the century." None of the people seem to realize how true that statement will soon be.
* * * * *
In the city of Tyrella, there is a celebration of a different sort. After a quick, merciless, victory over the Goblings, the Queen's soldiers return home for some much needed merriment. Only two of the soldiers have died, and three more are seriously wounded. The rest suffer from minor scrapes, bruises, and sore muscles. The Goblings are now no longer a threat to the city. As the soldiers drink and enjoy the pleasures of the women, Menecha is in the throne room of the mighty Queen Tyrella.
"Good Morning child, I trust that you slept well?"
"Yes, I have your graciousness.” She lowers her eyes to avoid staring at the beauty of the queen.
"So tell me, Menecha, that is your name isn't it?” The queen's perfect eyes seem to see right through Menecha's soul.
"Y-y-yes it is. How did you…?"
"We are aware of a lot of things that go on outside this city. Your name is the least importance of them. What is important is how you came to be captured by those Goblins? And why you were being held captive in the first place?" Menecha briefly explains her situation, and then bursts into tears. Magdellaine rushes forward to console her grieving child.
"Us Tyrellians shall take care of the matter for you. In the meantime how would like to learn how to defend yourself? After all, you can't just get captured all the time. It's time you learned to protect yourself from both the evil creatures in this world, and from the creatures that are called men.” The Queen rises from her throne in an excited flurry. "Magdellaine see to it that you train her in the use of the sword and shield. In a few days we shall take care of the upstart Belghar, and she better be ready by then.” With that said, she turns on her heels, and leaves the room.
"Come child, there is much for you to learn.” Magdellaine helps Menecha to her feet, and they too, are gone.
* * * * *
As nighttime falls down on The Smelly Goblin, the innkeeper locks his doors. It is a ritual he does every night, to prevent someone from sneaking into the inn. It’s time for him to go to bed, and he can't watch the door, and sleep at the same time. His servants see to it that nobody leaves their designated sleeping quarters. As he blows out the candle on the desk, a sudden chill enters the room. Goose bumps appear on his arms, and his hair starts to stand on end. He sees a shadow on the wall in front of him. The shadow is walking and appears to be carrying an axe. Staring directly at the spot where the person that the shadow belongs, he sees nothing. The sound of footsteps mirrors the movement of the shadows' feet. The shadow heads down the hall. The candles that line the hallway go out as the shadow passes by. The innkeeper runs forward, before the darkness can overwhelm him. The shadow rounds the corner, and the innkeeper is left in the darkness. Sweat bursts out of his pores, and his heart begins to race. Fear, the terrible beast that thrives on other people's misery, laughs at the innkeeper, as he begins to panic. He thinks back to the history of the inn, and wishes he had changed the name. The sound of the footsteps seems to be getting closer. Although his eyes have gotten used to the darkness, the innkeeper doesn't know where he can go. The sound is right in front of him and he turns as if to run. A hand grabs onto his shirt. He turns around to face the creature. A face looms before him, hideous, and evil. It has bloodshot eyes, and pointy teeth. The nose is big, and deformed. The mouth opens up to release a snarl. The innkeeper begins to scream. An axe severs his head from the body. No scream had a chance to escape. The Goblinoid creature, grabs the key ring from the lifeless, headless, corpse. On the tenth anniversary of its death, the Goblin brother, has arisen, to begin a new carnage. Death is coming to all that reside in its home and in the darkness, it heads to the first room.