I Think We'll Make It

All You Need Is Love

Luke wraps his arm around my waist. I try to shake him off, annoyed and done.

“I know you’re mad, Anne.” He whispers in my ear. My heart swells at his voice and my stomache erupts. It’s so hard to be angry with him.

“I know you know.” I mutter back. I lean into him with a sigh.

“I’m sorry.” He murmurs. He lets go of me and leans against our old, kitchen counter. It’s cold and snow falls quickly outside. Christmas is today. We both didn’t have enough money for gifts this year, but Luke got me a diamond engagement ring, with his bonus we were going to use on our apartment.

“So…is it a yes?” Luke asks. He stares at me and I look down.

“I don’t know, Luke. Honestly, how could we make it? Our jobs can barely let us live in this ratty apartment. How could we afford a wedding or support each other well enough?” I ask, finally lifting my head. Just barely enough to partly meet his dark eyes. He walks towards me, a frown on his face. He puts his hands on my hips and stares straight into my eyes. He knows I can never look anyone in the eyes.

“We don’t need money.” He whispers. A smirk plays on his lips and I chuckle.

“Yeah, we do.”

“Okay, we do. But we have enough. Love is all we need.” He fights. I try not to grin, shaking my head at him.

“All we need is love.” I sing. The old Beatles song rattles through my head. I eye the ring that sits on the counter. A smile tugs on my lips. Luke is the funniest person I know. Even with everything we’ve been through, he knows how to make me smile. Even when the worst is happening.

“A wedding, though. My parents won’t give any money and…” I let my sentence trail off. Luke’s parents died last year. When he was 19, when we first met.

“It’s called eloping, my love.”

“Eloping? Like Elvis is the priest?” I ask incredulously. Luke nods, his goofy grin on his face.

“Yes. Elvis. Or not. It’s all up to you. I just want to be with you. Forever and ever.” Luke sings. I look at him, having to smile even larger.

“Forever and ever?” I ask. He bows his head, walking up to me. I wrap my arms around his neck and he lifts me up.

“Yes, ma’am. Forever and ever.”

“Luke?” I say, putting my nose to his. His breath tickles my face as he looks at me. His eyes are big and brown. They’re my favorite eyes.

“Yes, Anne?”

“Yes.” I murmur. My heart beats unevenly.

“Yes? You’ll marry me?” He says. His voice is hopeful.

“Yes, Luke. I’ll marry you.”

Luke is the guy I want to be with forever. With him, I think we’ll make it. Even if the person who wittiness’s our wedding is Elvis Presley or Michael Jackson. I mean, all you need is love. Right?
♠ ♠ ♠
word count: 507(: