‹ Prequel: I'm Scared
Status: Active!

Family Man

three

"Hey Em, you've let yourself go. You're getting fat."

I rolled my eyes at Patrik Berglund as I grabbed cheese, pickles and pineapple from the buffet table. I was at a team banquet with TJ, and I didn't care if I looked ridiculous with my food choices. I was pregnant and I wanted what I wanted.

"Good one, Bergie. I haven't heard that joke yet."

He burst into laughter and TJ rolled his eyes from beside me, biting back a grin.

"I'm just clever," Patrik informed me. I gave him a look and turned to my husband.

"Timmy, he's trying to make me laugh again," I whined. TJ burst into laughter and took my free hand, leading me back to the table where we were sitting with Patrik, David Backes and his wife, Ella, and David Perron and his wife, Jamie.

I dove into my food and listened to the conversation going on around me, nodding and smiling at the appropriate times. TJ eventually nudged me, and I turned to meet his worried eyes. My own widened innocently. He bent down and placed his lips close to my ear, his arm on the chair behind me.

"Are you okay?"

I nodded, reaching for his hand. I bit back a giggle, placing my hand on my stomach, before pulling him back so I could whisper in his ear.

"I'm just insanely hungry, TJ. I'm going insane."

He grinned and I smiled back. He reached to my plate and grabbed a piece of cheese, taking a bite of it before placing it in my mouth. I chewed it slowly and then swallowed, closing my eyes and leaning against TJ's arm. "Mm. Cheese..."

I heard TJ laughing beside me and was startled as he gently pulled my chair closer to him. We both looked over at Patrik as he groaned.

"You guys are so sickeningly in love."

I took another piece of cheese and took a bite before replying, "Don't be bitter. You'll find someone one day, Pat. You're not that bad of a catch."

Patrik narrowed his eyes at me and was about to throw a strawberry at me when Backes grabbed his arm and shook his head. Patrik glared at me and popped the strawberry in his mouth. I laughed and blew him a kiss. "Love you, Patty."

***
I stood in front of the mirror that night in my pajamas, frowning. I turned one way and then another, looking at my growing belly. I let out a loud groan and heard footsteps as TJ came running.

"I found the pickles. Sorry it took me so long, baby, I was, uh," he scratched the back of his neck sheepishly. "I was checking the scores on Sportsnet."

I sighed and sat down on the bed, my hand on my stomach, staring down at it. "It's fine, Teej. I don't even want pickles anymore."

TJ paused, placing the jar of pickles on the dresser before coming over and sitting beside me.

"What's up?"

I frowned, suddenly feeling tears building behind my eyelids. I chewed the inside of my cheek, attempting to compose myself. But as I caught another glimpse of myself in the mirror, I couldn't take it.

"I'm fat!" I cried. I burst into tears and placed my head in my hands. This was ridiculous. That could not be the reason I was crying right now. These stupid hormones were going to drive me insane.

"Baby," TJ said, his voice sounding panicked. He knelt in front of me and gently removed my hands from my face, rubbing his thumbs against them before reaching up and wiping away my tears. "You're not fat," he informed me. "You're beautiful, Emmaline. You're always beautiful."

After he spoke, another wave of sobs erupted in me. I felt bad as I saw TJ's eyes widen before he sat on the bed beside me again. He awkwardly rubbed my back, cooing and telling me it was okay. When I finally calmed down, I turned to him, my face apologetic.

"I'm so sorry you had to experience that."

TJ shrugged, reaching out and brushing my hair behind my ears. "I'm going through this with you, babe. You're not alone, just remember that."

"I'm alone for the next three days," I reminded him, my voice coming out somewhat harsh. I felt guilty as he removed his hands from my face, running them through his own hair before standing up and heading to the bathroom. I winced and sat there, trying to figure out how to fix what I had just said. I finally manage to stand up, letting out an 'oomph' as the weight of my stomach hit me, before placing my hand on my back and almost laughing at myself. I must have looked like the ideal, typical pregnant woman. I gently pushed the door open to the bathroom, where TJ was brushing his teeth. I walked over beside him and leaned against the counter, facing him. He didn't meet my eyes as he finished brushing his teeth, wiping his hands in a towel and leaning against the counter, his head hung low.

"Em, you don't know how much it kills me that I have to leave you alone."

"Teej..." I sighed. "I'm not alone, I have Jamie and Ella. They've had kids, they know what it's like."

TJ shook his head, finally looking up at me. "I'm the baby's dad, Em. I should be here."

I took a step forward and gently pushed one of TJ's arms down so I could wrap my arms around his neck. I looked up at him, kissing him quickly before speaking.

"TJ Oshie, you are the love of my life and I'm going to be with you for the rest of my life. But that also means I'm going to say a lot of stupid things, especially when I'm pregnant. So will you." I paused. "Except, you won't be pregnant." I waved my hand in the air as he smirked. "But that's besides the point. We're only human, we make mistakes. I'm sorry I said that. I would amount it to me being pregnant and hormonal, but I'd be lying if I said that was the only reason. Obviously I'm going to miss you like crazy when you're gone, like I always do." I played with the hair at the base of his neck. "I'm just even more honest when I'm pregnant, apparently."

TJ smiled and pressed a kiss to my forehead. "So I shouldn't be so sensitive when you kick me down, is what you're saying?"

I frowned. "Apologizing here, Timothy."

He laughed and ran his hands through my hair. "I know, baby. Sorry. I can't help it sometimes." He gave me a goofy grin, causing me to smile in return. "But seriously. I'm sure I've said and done enough stupid things that you could have hated me for, but you didn't. I guess that's what love is. Loving no matter what mistakes you've made."

I nodded, my eyes searching his. "I love you, Timothy Oshie Jr. So much."
♠ ♠ ♠
i love daddy oshie. ahahaha

comments? :$