‹ Prequel: I'm Scared
Status: Active!

Family Man

four

"TEEJ!"

TJ came running into the living room so fast that he had to hold onto the back of the couch to keep from slipping on the hardwood floors.

"What?" he asked, breathless.

I motioned for him to join me on the couch and as soon as he did, I grabbed his hand and placed it on my stomach. I watched, my heart bursting as I watched TJ's eyes grow wide.

"Is that...?"

I nodded, biting my lip and grinning as he stared at me in awe. He finally seemed to snap out of it, bending down in front of my stomach.

"Hey, baby," he whispered. "How are you? I hope you're super healthy. I've been taking good care of Mommy. I don't let her do anything stressful."

I rolled my eyes. It was true, he barely let me do anything.

He looked up at me, and I was surprised to see his eyes glistening. I placed my hand on his face, willing him with my eyes to tell me what was on his mind. He pulled himself back up properly onto the couch, leaning back against it. I leaned back into him and he placed his arm around me, staring down at my oversized stomach.

"I can't..." He paused, scratching the back of his neck. "I can't believe I was here to feel it move for the first time."

My mouth fell open slightly and I bit back my own tears. I leaned up and pressed a long kiss to his lips as a tear fell. He wiped it away with his thumb and kissed my forehead as I placed my hand on my stomach. We didn't need to speak as TJ placed his hand on top of mine, willing for the baby to move again.

***
I could hardly contain my excitement as the game ended. Usually I loved watching the games, but I hadn't seen TJ this morning and I had to talk to him.

"Whoa there, Seabiscuit," Jamie laughed as she grabbed my arm. I pouted at her. "You can't try to run out of the stadium, kiddo. You've got a little one in there. You'll be trampled."

I rolled my eyes and tapped my leg impatiently, waiting for the crowd to disperse. I didn't calm down at all until Jamie finally reminded me that TJ wouldn't be out right away anyway since he had to get undressed.

I finally found myself standing outside the locker room, leaning against the wall. My eyes didn't leave the black doors, and as soon as TJ appeared, I nearly pounced on him. As much as a pregnant woman could, I guess.

"Hey, baby," TJ laughed, kissing me quickly. "What's up, mama?" He leaned down and pressed a kiss to my stomach. "What's up, baby boy or baby girl?" He straightened his back and I bit my lip.

"Baby boy," I said softly. TJ's eyes flew from my stomach to my eyes and his jaw dropped.

"What?"

"It's a boy."

TJ pumped his fist in the air and let out a whoop.

"Slow down there, love. What if he doesn't want to be a hockey player?"

TJ scoffed and gave me a look. "Doesn't want to be a hockey player," he muttered. "My girl's funny." I simply shook my head and laughed as we made our way out of the arena, TJ chattering about all the stuff he had to buy so the baby would be ready for hockey.

***
I smiled at Ella as she handed me a soup can from the top shelf. "Thanks, El."

Emma laughed and held up her hands. "No problem, baby mama. I know it's a rough stretch with all that weight on you."

We continued to make our way through the grocery store. I felt as though I shouldn't be able to move. I sure couldn't see my feet.

"When are you due again?"

"Sometime this week." As I spoke the words, I was incredibly nervous. TJ was on a road trip for 4 days, and if he wasn't here when the baby was born...

Ella seemed to notice my face. "Are you okay, sweetie?"

I shook my head, my hand on my stomach, fighting back tears.

Don't cry in the middle of the grocery store, don't cry in the middle of the grocery store.

"Are you worried that TJ won't be home when you go into labor?" I looked up at Ella in shock. She nodded knowingly. "Been there three times, darling. David made it back each time. Even if TJ was in the middle of his game, he'd book it out of the arena in his hockey uniform as soon as he heard and use all his money to get the first and fastest flight back here."

I nodded, knowing she was right. I rubbed my hand up and down on my belly as I felt a kick. "You're almost here," I whispered. I was half nervous, half excited. Either way, there was no going back now.
♠ ♠ ♠
come baaaaaack TJ!

comments.. please?