‹ Prequel: I'm Scared
Status: Active!

Family Man

seven

I felt someone crawl into bed beside me, disturbing my sleep. I felt an arm wrap around my waist, and I slowly opened my eyes. I rolled over, my eyes meeting the bright blue ones of my husband. I chewed my lip as TJ smiled at me, reaching his free hand up to brush my hair out of my eyes.

"Hi, baby."

"Hi," I replied softly. He had just come home from a road trip in early November, and I was overjoyed to see him home. We had spent three weeks in the summer in his hometown of Mt. Vernon with his parents, and three weeks with my family back home in Vancouver before heading off to Disneyland for a week's vacation. Travis had enjoyed every minute, as had we.

TJ pressed a kiss to my lips, and I lifted my back so he could wrap his arm around my shoulders. I leaned into him, and he pulled the covers over both of us.

I awoke an hour or so later to Travis' cries. I let out a sigh, bolting out of bed towards the sound. I gripped the side of the cradle to steady myself as the blood rushed to my head. I smiled as I felt arms around my waist. TJ kissed my neck and rested his chin on my shoulder. "I'll take care of him, okay? Go lie down."

"But you just got home," I protested. TJ shook his head, lifting a finger to my lips.

"Go," he instructed, and I obeyed, crawling back into bed. I watched as he picked Travis up, cooing to him. The baby quieted, and TJ began to head to the door of our room, the baby in his arms.

"The milk bottle is-"

"Cupboard to the left of the fridge, top shelf." TJ smiled. I looked forward to the day when Travis didn't need the bottle anymore. That day would be coming soon - Travis had been born late January, and would stop needing the milk formula in a few months. "Haven't been gone that long, babe," TJ reminded me. "Go back to sleep. I love you."

I smiled as he turned Travis towards me. He lifted the baby's hand with his own, making him wave to me.

"Say bye to mommy."

I waved back before blowing TJ a kiss. "Love you, Timmy."

***

I sat on the floor, watching with a smile as Travis crawled towards me. "Atta boy," I cooed, pulling him up into my lap. I handed him one of his toys and continued watching the news. It was a crisp, chilly day in early December, as the weatherman went on to inform me. "Brr," I said to Travis, bending down and pressing a kiss to his cheek. I tickled him and he giggled, making me laugh as well.

The front door opened and I smiled.

"Where are my babies?"

"In the living room," I called.

TJ's head appeared moments later. He grinned at the sight of the two of us, stepping into the room completely. He set down his water bottle on the table beside the couch and squatted down, holding out his arms.

"Hey Trav, wanna come see Daddy?"

I picked Travis up by his waist and set his feet down, holding him under the arms as he wobbled a bit. I cautiously let go, bracing myself in case he fell. But he didn't. He took one step, stumbled, caught himself, and took the remaining five or so steps until he was scooped up into Daddy's arms. My hand flew to my mouth, and I stood up. TJ stood up too, beaming.

"Did you see that?!" I exclaimed.

TJ nodded, grinning. We quickly walked towards one another and the three of us embraced in a hug.

"Way to go, baby boy," I whispered, my eyes brimming with tears. TJ's arm wrapped around me and he pulled me into him, holding Travis with his other arm. He pressed a kiss to the side of my head, before I turned and kissed him for real.

"I love you," he said, kissing me again.

"I love you too, Teej. So much," I said quietly, my throat blocked with happy tears. We stared at one another before I turned back to the baby. "And you, Mommy's boy. I love you."
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry it's so small, but I figured I owed you guys SOMETHING.
I'm really focusing on my Taylor Hall story though, "Change".