Surviving the Shivering Solitude

The Meeting

Thumbelina watched the Amazonian woman place a large crumb of a chocolate cake. Valary sat in front of her and enjoyed her colossal slice of the chocolate concoction.

“Does it feel different being four-year old, Thumbelina?” Val whispered.

“I feel the same as yesterday,” Thumbelina incoherently said as she ate her cake.

“That's a shame. We must change your feelings.”

“How?”

“Through dancing!” Val's statement earned an expressionless face from the small girl.

“We could open presents,” Thumbelina replied.

Val nodded back, “You made more sense than me.” Thumbelina stuffed the rest of her cake between her full lips, and she chewed obnoxiously. Her arms pushed her small body up. She kept her balance on the table although she slightly stumbled. The small, dark eyes on her porcelain face glared when she saw her reflection in her new flowerpot.

She knew she was different. She was not tall as the children her age nor resembled them. Although for her height, Thumbelina still had long legs and a womanly figure. When she arrived in the world, she looked around 12. Four years later, she can persuade anyone that she just turned 18. Well first she had to convince the person that she existed.

She ran to the edge of the table when she heard Val's footsteps grow louder. Her eyes glowed when she saw the large box in Val's palm. Val put the box next to Thumbelina. She nodded towards box, and Thumbelina quickly started using her small hands to destroy the wrapping paper. Soon, Thumbelina revealed a black ring box.

“Mom, may you open the box?”

“Glad to know you learned your lesson from last year,” Valary chuckled. Thumbelina's body blushed when her mind flashed back to the day. She almost fell off the table when she attempted to open the ring box.

“We should avoid that conversation. Mom, open it!”

“All right, calm down, Thumbelina,” Valary giggled. Her large hand opened the box, and Thumbelina saw pink tissue paper hiding her present. She heard the paper crinkle as she removed it, and her hand touched the prettiest dress her eyes have ever seen. Her fingers grasped the fabric and brought it to her body. She turned to the flower-pot.

In the reflection, Thumbelina saw the icy silk gleaming. However, her gazed drifted to the black, lacy embroidery on the hem of the dress. The flowery design twisted perfectly around the dress. She walked behind the pot, and she changed quickly. She patted down her dress and grinned.

She stepped away from the pot and walked to Val.

“What do you think?” Thumbelina said as she twirled.

“You look beautiful.”

“Thank you. I love you.”

“I love you, too.”

“May I ask you a question?”

“Of course, you may ask a question,” Val softly replied.

“How did you make this?”

“I hired a seamstress.”

“How did you explain the dress size?”

“I said the dress was for a small doll.”

“Oh? Well, thank you.”

“Your welcome. It was my pleasure.”

“It is such a lovely dress.”

“I am glad I know your taste in fashion,” Val chuckled. She grabbed Thumbelina gently, and Val walked to her room. Thumbelina felt her feet touch the hard surface of a pebble. Valary put her down, and Thumbelina walked to and climbed up the long, green steam of the flower.

Once she reached the top, Thumbelina's hands grasped one of the petals, and she pushed her body on to the velvety flower. She positioned herself in the middle of the flower, and she lowered a petal over her frame to keep warmth. She sighed when she heard Valary lower herself on the queen sized mattress.

“Sleep well and good night, Thumbelina,” Val whispered.

“I hope you sleep well,” Thumbelina muttered since her size made it impossible for Valary to hear her daughter from their distance.

Thumbelina woke up startled when a thud projected around the bedroom widow. Her eyes widen in surprise. Then, a glowing light aroused a curiosity from the minuscule girl. She stood up, looked at the sleeping figure in the distance, and decided to investigate. She glided down the stem and ran to the window. She knocked on the window, and she stared right at perfection.

A handsome, young man of tan skin and bright, brown eyes stood behind the glass. Thumbelina's small fingers waved at him, and she received a beautiful smile from the stranger.

'He is the same size as me,' Thumbelina thought. Her eyes took in his black ensemble, his strong bone structure, his eyes, his nose, his lips, and his wings.

“Wings?” Thumbelina muttered. Her eyebrows furrowed together, and she tilted her head in confusion. Her eyes traced the sheer black wings adorned on his back. They resembled the wings of a moth; however, they manged to sparkle and shine like those of a butterfly.

The man behind the glass inquired, “What happened to your wings?”

“What happened to my wings? I was not born with wings.”

“Why are you talking about such absurdities? You must have wings. How else would you fly?”

"I do not know that answer. However, I am not lying. I was not born with wings,” Thumbelina whispered.

The man's fingers scratched his neck as he asked, "you are not a fairy?"

“No. Are you a fairy?”

He smirked and replied, “no. Is it not obvious that I am a certified public accountant?”

“Is sarcasm necessary?” Thumbelina rolled her eyes at him, “Who are you?”

“I am Brian.”

“Hello, Brian. Who are you, Brian?”

“I am a fairy. One of the princes of the fairy clan that reside in these woods.”

“You are a prince?” Thumbelina said in awe. She never met a prince before. This is like meeting a rock star.

He grinned, “did I just say I was a prince?”

“Yes. Yes, you did say you were a prince,” she chuckled.

“Then, I am a prince” Thumbelina's stomach contracted when she saw his toothy grin directed to her.

“Brian?”

“Hmm,” he replied as he leaned brawn body on the window sill.

“What is your last name?”

“What is my last name?”

“Yeah.”

“My last name is Haner,” his deep voice answered.

Thumbelina smiled, “Brian Haner? I really like it."

“Junior,” he whispered.

“Hmm?”

“Brian Haner Junior. My parents named me after my father.”

“I like it. It suits you.”

“Thank you, my sweet.” He slightly bowed his head. Thumbelina curtsied at her prince. Then, she cursed herself when she realized she wore her present to bed. Then, she grinned and raised her index figure to inform Brian to wait. She pushed lightweight screen up and mentioned Brian to enter.

For the past two hours, the discussed the lives of Thumbelina and Brian. She loved how he looked at her. She loved how he looked in general. She knew she had to do something make this moment a conversation she will remember for the rest of her life. A second later, Thumbelina smirked and turned around inconspicuously. She put her hand to her mouth, exhaled, and smelt. Perfect. She turned around and decided to take the initiative.

“Brian? Please, do not panic.”

“What is it?” Desperate to investigate, Brian's tense eyes looked around the room.

Thumbelina could not help to think 'poor Brian'.

She giggled, leaned forward, and kissed him. It took him a few seconds to respond, but soon his fingers were interlocked in her dark, flowing locks. The kiss was simple. The kiss was sweet. The kiss was magical.

However, Thumbelina jumped when Brian yelled. A dark figure pulled on Brian hair, and it rammed Brian's face into the window. Now, Brian lays on the ground unconscious. Thumbelina tried to scream and run; however, the dark figure grabbed her arm and suffocated her with a cloth. Thumbelina sees a dirty, green flash before she becomes unconscious in the stranger's arms.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you to those that have subscribed.

Comment and subscribe