Status: Going to do a rewritten of this! I feel that I'm at a Writer's Block with this one, so I'm starting over.

Darkest Secret

Posse

I watched in stunned silence as Annisa sprinted out the door. I suppressed laughter as a couple of Slytherins tried to put her hat out – and failed horribly. By this time the Gryffindors, Ravenclaws, and Hufflepuffs were laughing hysterically. I finally gave in and practically fell on the floor, ignoring the death stares from the Slytherin side of the room.

~*~

I ran up to Dumbledore’s office and barely remembered the password. I flew up the staircase, taking two steps at a time. He was sitting at his desk. He looked up and calmly gestured to the chair in front of him. He folded his hands and looked at me expectantly.

I rushed through my explanation, and when I’d finished, his eyebrows had risen a few inches. He opened his mouth to speak when the door slammed open.

Umbridge stalked in carrying her still flaming hat. I shrank back in my chair and hoped she wouldn’t notice me. No such luck.

“Look what this menace to society has done!” she shrilled. I winced. I could tell Dumbledore wanted to do the same, but he controlled it and kept smiling calmly.

“My, what an interesting hat,” Dumbledore remarked. The toad’s eye twitched and I bit back laughter. That probably wouldn’t go over well.

“I demand you fix it this instant! Then we will discuss a proper punishment for this little brat!”

Dumbledore waved his wand and the fire vanished instantly. Umbridge gaped at him.

“Now that that is taken care of, I will take care of the girl’s punishment,” Dumbledore said.

Umbridge look of confusion turned to one of anger.

“I will take care of the child’s punishment!”

“I’m sorry, but I believe I am Headmaster here, not you.”

Her ears turned red and her nostrils flared.

“Fine. But I insist on at least five months of detention!”

“Don’t you think that’s a bit unreasonable for speaking out of turn,” Dumbledore replied.

Umbridge’s ears turned red and her nostrils flared.

“Speaking out of turn! That little brat set my hat on fire!”

“Where is your proof?” He turned to me. “Did you have your wand out Annisa?”

“No,” I replied quietly.

“There you have it. She couldn’t have done it without a wand. I think two months is much more reasonable.”

Umbridge didn’t look happy, but she nodded and stalked out.

“You need to learn how to control yourself Annisa,” Dumbledore said.

“What do you mean?”

“You’ll learn in time.”

I frowned in frustration. But I couldn’t exactly get mad at him. He had just saved me from an extra three months of detention. Anyways, I had something else I needed to tell him.

I fidgeted in my seat, debating on whether or not to tell him. It was obvious that even Dumbledore couldn’t control Umbridge. So telling him wouldn’t do any good.

“Is there something you wish to tell me?” he asked.

I shook my head. He nodded and I got up to leave.

Outside my posse was waiting for me. They practically cheered when I walked into the corridor. Ron clapped me on the back and Fred picked me up and spun me in a circle. George ran over and they hoisted me up on their shoulders and ran me around the hall. Everyone laughed and I thought maybe all this was actually worth it.

~*~

She looks so happy with her friends over there. As soon as Umbridge left, everyone else did too. I practically ran to Dumbledore’s office. But they still beat me there. I guess I should just be happy she looks unhurt. I clenched my fists when the Weasley twins picked her up and started running around like the idiots they are. I turned to go when she started laughing along with them.

“Drakipoo!”
I flinched. Pansy. I extracted my arm from her death grip and quickly walked away.
♠ ♠ ♠
All comments are appreciated :)