Near to You.

005.

Christmas lights were hanging, draped from wall to wall in Asher's loft and a small table tree lay lit upon the redwood antique coffee table. Her feet were kicked up on the leather couch and her fingers were absent mindedly click the remote, scanning every channel. It had been a week since Matt had challenged her at Zackys barbecue and she had not heard a peep from him, that is until a soft knock fell against her door. 
She groaned, rolled off the couch, letting her bare feet skid against the cold dark wood floor. 
"Coming!" She hollered and unlatched the golden lock. 
"Hey," Matt smiled, holding out a bottle of Baileys. 
"How do you know where I live?" Asher allowed him in and shut the door behind her. It slammed, rattling the picture frames hanging against the single brick wall in her upscale apartment. 
"I have my sources," He smirked, walked into her kitchen and searched the cupboards for mugs. 
"Who are you to come here and make your self feel at home?" Asher made were way into the kitchen, crossing her arms defensively against her chest, and leaned against the counter. 
"Ash, calm down." 
"I told you not to call me Ash." She hissed and watched as he poured the coffee she was previously brewage into the mugs and then poured in the baileys. Matt handed her the cup and threw himself on her couch. 
"Asher," He set his cup on the table and smiled, the strung lights along with the moon illuminated his hazel eyes as he gazed at her. "Sit with me." It almost sounded like he was pleading. Asher sat at the far end of the couch and curled her legs into her chest. "You don't have to act like I'm a damn leper." He smirked and pulled her just two feet away from him. "Wanna watch a movie?" He asked, pulling up the guide and clicking whatever Christmas movie was playing on ABC Family. Of course it would be cheesy, but Matt didn't mind what he was watching as long as it was with her. A feeling he hadn't had since high school. 
"I love this movie," Matt turned to see Asher's smiling face. Her long blond hair was in messy curls, the gray tank top was form fitting, and the black sweat pants she wore seemed cozy and warm. Her black rimmed glasses,where far better than the ones she wore in high school. Gold rimmed and almost round. "It's so sad but it's good." She smiled at Jack Frost playing on the screen. As the sat in the Christmas light filled room and sipped on their baileys, Matt could feel Asher start to inch closer and closer as the minutes passed. 
Asher didn't know what she was doing, subconsciously she was moving closer and closer. His warmth was making her sleep and she rested her head on his shoulder. She couldn't tell if this was what she actually wanted or if it was the alcohol that was running through her veins. 
Matt felt her curly locks fall on his shoulder and he knew she was quickly going to fall asleep. He cautiously wrapped an arm around waist, afraid she was going to protest. His fingers gripped tightly on her side and pressed her body against his. Matt leaned back and let her head fall against his chest. She was sound asleep and he couldn't help but smile down at her. 
As the movie progressed, Matt ran his fingers through her hair softly and breathed in her scent. She was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen, touched, or heard. His heart melted with any word she spoke to him, even if she was screaming and cussing at him. 
"Mhmm." She mumbled and pulled a bit of his shirt into her knuckles. 
"Ash-Asher." He corrected himself and brushed the hair out of her face. Credits were rolling and he was starting to feel a little tried himself. 
"Mmm," She struggled to wake, finally opening her eyes slightly. She eyes grew wide and she jumped to her feet, startling Matt. "What the-" She shrieked. "Get out!" 
"Asher calm down! Why are you freaking out?" 
"Just get out!" She was pacing near the front door, running her fingers through her hair and biting her nails. 
"I'm not leaving till you tell me what the fuck I did!" 
"I hate you, just leave!" She cried once more and swung her front door open. 
"Asher!" Matt tried to reason with her but she refused to even look at him. He shook his head and left, as soon as she slammed the door shut, he plopped down on the steps and waited. 
Asher kept pacing back and forth, afraid of what had just happened. She was close to him, actually feeling something. Breathing in his welcoming scent, she wanted nothing more than to kiss him. It was wrong for her to feel something so strongly about a man the tortured and tormented her all through out high school. Suddenly, as she slowed to a stop, she realized she was to harsh. Over reacting for the simplest thing and she didn't want to come off as a bitch. Her heart began to race and palms began to sweat as she twisted the door knob, hoping she would catch him. But to her surprise he was sitting down comfortably on her front steps. 
"Matt?" She asked, taking a seat next to him. She hated her self for taking pity on somebody that never took pity on her. 
"I'm sorry about overreacting." She sighed, watching as he took a drag of his fresh cigarette. 
"It's okay," He smiled genuinely.
"Look, my friends are throwing this early Christmas party and I wanted to know if you would come with me?" 
"Is this a pity date?" He laughed, the twinkle in his eye warming her heart. 
"Yeah, it's a pity date." She cracked a smile and stood up. 
"I thought you don't date," His confidence oozing past his lips. 
"It's not a real date, it's a pity date." Matt smirked, wrapped and arm around her and pulled Asher into a sideways hug. He pushed her hair away from her ears. His fingers lingering a little longer than they should and bent down to whisper in her ear. 
"I'm going to win." He breathed. 
♠ ♠ ♠
:D

REV