Near to You.

007.

She could feel her blood pumping like never before as she pulled into the parking garage of Lisa's home. It was late now, the sun was setting against the scenic backdrop of Laguna Beach and the etched out cliffs lined the blacking sky. Asher had never been more embarrassed of Matts actions but still deep down she loved the adrenaline rush, a taste of the wild side hidden away deep within her. She walked right into the dying down party and immediately started to apologize to every guest finally making her way to Lisa and Kevin. 
"Listen, don't worry about it. This wasn't your fault or Matts. You should not be embarrassed whatsoever." Lisa smiled warmly and embraced her in a hug.
"Yeah, I would have reacted the same way. When Robert called Lisa a tramp, I was going to beat his ass down by Matt beat me to the punch." He said with a chuckle filling the room. "That guy is a total jackass, tell Matt not to worry." 
Asher was the one who felt like a jackass. She completely overreacted, Matt was only trying to defend her. Although the wanted to run over to his house and apologize, she still didn't want to see him. What he said had tore open old wounds, the memories she once forgot came rushing back and the familiar tone that ruined her life several years ago sent chills down her spine. That name; the one that everyone, even the geekiest people called her haunted her still to this day. 
"So are you going to stay a bit longer?" Lisa asked and took a sip of the red wine that sloshed around in her glass. 
"No," Asher felt as though she was going to vomit. "I'm tired and I don't really want to fall asleep at the wheel." She faked a laugh and made her way out the door and down the stairs. As Asher made her way put to her car she heard her best friend Lisa call after her. 
"Asher!" She screamed, "Ash!" Lisa's high heels were clicking against the asphalt. 
"Lisa?" She asked puzzled, clicking the unlock button on her keys. 
"He's a good guy," Lisa breathed. "I can tell," She smiled widely and wrapped Asher into a hug. "Its time for a change," She said with a whisper. "Lighten up." 
Ash just pulled away and shook her head. She didn't like him, she couldn't like him. "Bye Lisa." She forces her self into the car and took off down the street. Her apartment wasn't far, she lived in Laguna also. Ever since her parents moved to "The Top Of The World," when she was in her first year of college, she decided that when she returned from Los Angeles, she would move there too. And she did, although the rent was ridiculous, she still managed to get by thanks to her parents. 
The whole way back to her house she was just waiting to crawl into bed, turn on The Queen, and drink a big cup of hot chocolate. She turned off the ignition and rested her head on the steering wheel of her Audi. She just wanted to forget the whole night. 
Asher shook her head, brushed her self off, and stepped out of the car, finally arriving at home. It was up the stairs that something was different, a dark shadow casted at the top. She shook with fear, remembering when she was just an innocent teenager. Matt had saved her. 
"Asher," A booming voice called from the darkness. She was relieved, it was only Matt. 
"I don't want to speak to you," Asher hissed and made her journey up the steps. 
"Just here me out," He grabbed her arm and stopped her dead in her tracks. His grip was tight, but not tight enough to leave a mark. "I am so fucking sorry for overreacting and calling you..." 
"Newport," Asher whispered. The only light illuminating them was the little lamp the hung against the wall. They were surrounded by darkness other than that and it felt like they were the only people in the entire world. Asher gazed down at Matts hazel eyes and heard the words of Lisa bounce through her mind. Lighten up. Those eyes made her lighten up. 
"I promise, I never meant to call you that and I never will again. I was just so fucking rowelled up. He disrespected you, me, and where I grew up. Those three things I would kill to defend." 
She froze. Did he really say that? Asher watched as his face contorted, waiting for her response. "Wanna come in?" She asked and opened the door, biting her lower lip. Matt nodded. "How long have you been waiting there?" 
"20 minutes," He rubbed his arm and feel onto her couch. 
"I'm sorr-" 
"Don't apologize." Matt said quickly. 
"Do you want hot chocolate?" Asher asked, letting the black shawl fall to the floor. 
"Sure," Matt smiled and kicked his shoes off. He watched a Asher moved around the kicked, heels clicking against the tile floor. His heart raced at house easily this night was turning around. He honestly couldn't believe it. 
"My brother left some basket ball shorts and some shirts here, you can change if that's uncomfortable for you." Asher suggested shyly as she began boiling the milk. 
"That would be really great actually," Matt said with a chuckle. He hoisted himself off the couch and slid into her bedroom. The bed was unmade and he couldn't help but fantasize waking up naked with her in his arms every morning. He could feel him self grow excited. "Shit," He mumbled to himself and quickly changed into a ratty pair of basket ball short and a faded Thrice shirt. Matt calmed himself down by remembering Ashers brother, Gavin. Matt had got along with him whenever they talked and they both, back in high school, equally agreed that Ash was a freak. He remembered how they would stand up for one another in the weirdest ways. If Zacky, Jimmy, or Brian weren't there to have his back in a fight, Gavin would jump in and vice versa. He remembered the night he and Jimmy has rescued Asher from that attack, Gavin alway thanked him. Always. 
"You okay in there?" Ashers angelic rand throughout the small house. 
"Uh," Matt paused, checking his lose shorts. "Yeah. Sorry, I couldn't find the shorts." He lied and took a seat next to her on the couch. He grabbed a mug off the coffee table and pressed it to his lips, the scalding liquid pouring down his throat. "Asher, I'm sorry." 
"Let's just not talk about it." She smiled and snuggled into the couch. 
"What do you want to talk about?" 
"Jimmy." She smiled. Memories flooded both of their minds. 
"He used to call you Baby girl," Matt beamed, "I always made fun of him for it." 
"He was the only nice one," Asher sighed. "I loved him so much," She laughed, "That I broke the rules." She faked a gasp. 
"Really?" Matts eyes twinkled in the dim table lamp lighting. 
"Yeah! I would alway get him out of trouble and sign his notes when he ditched school." 
"You were such a rebel." This caused Matt and Asher to erupt into laughter. "You know, Jimmy loved you." He nodded. 
"You don't know that," She laughed.
"I do," Matts smile faded. "That's why he kept in contact with you."'
"What?" Asher was startled that he knew. Only Leana was the one who knew who Asher was.
"I was going through an old calendar Jimmy left at my house. It said your name a couple times through out the year."
"Oh," Asher sighed and sunk low into the couch. 
"Yeah," The room fell silent. The television was on the lowest volume and Asher reached over to turn off on of the lamps. 
"Sing for me." Matt whispered. It was not a request, it was a demand and it made Ashers palms sweat. She was nervous for the first time in her life to sing infront of someone. Infront of Matt. "It's okay," He pulled her into his arms surprisingly and she boldly wrapped her arms around his waist. "Don't be nervous." Could he read her mind? 
Asher took a deep breath and began. Her soft, velvet smooth voice sailed through his ears. He shuttered as her petite fingers brushed against his skin to the beat. Right at this moment he was finally content with everything in his life. All he needed was this, Asher in his arms and her voice filling the room to be sane. 
♠ ♠ ♠
No spell check, I apologize.
My friend and I started our own music magazine. Were just starting out but we have 6 interviews lined up for this month. LIKE US ON FACEBOOK!
Bailout Magazine Facebook!
Follow us on tumblr!