Status: Finished. No sequel.

Living On A Prayer

I

Tracing his finger over the haunting words that graced the stone in front of him, Brian let out a heavy sigh. Brian had decided that morning to visit his friend, even if it was only forty degrees this mid March morning.

“I need your advice Jim, I don’t know what to do anymore.”
Brian whispered as he held back all the emotions he held inside.

Knowing that he couldn’t spend all day in the cemetery, Brian stood up and glanced around seeing no one in sight. Shaking his head, he stuffed his hands in the leather jacket he was wearing. Eyes kept down casted, maneuvered his way the pathway he memorized. Not paying attention to where he was stepping, Brian’s foot kicked something.

“What the . . .” Looking in front of him, Brian bent down picking up the plush stuffed monkey. Looking around he noticed down the pathway a lady carrying a kid. “Hey! Ma’am!” Setting into a jog to get to her, Brian hollered out again, getting her attention. “Excuse me, did you drop this?” He asked holding the monkey out.

His breath caught as the woman turned around. The strangers aqua blue eyes glanced down to his hand, a relieved smile gracing her face, making it all the harder from Brian to breathe.

“Thank you so much, James would’ve been devastated if he woke up without this.”

“Uh, no—no problem at all.” Brian stuttered out. “His names James?” He asked glancing at the blonde boy asleep in her arms.

“Yes, well thank you again Mr. Haner.”
The lady turned around and headed back down the path towards her car.
Still in his own world, Brian shook his head deciding it was pure coincidence that the little boys name is James.

“Wait! How’d you know my name?” Brian asked once again catching up to her.

The woman let out a small laugh. “Everyone knows who you are Mr. Haner.” As she began walking again, Brian just stared at her retreating form until she paused and turned to him. “Oh and the fact we went to high school together.”

Stunned into silence, he stood there as the woman continued to her vehicle. Finally realizing that she was gone, Brian just shook his head getting rid of all thoughts. Slipping into his car, Brian head towards his home, not really wanting to be there. As he pulled into the drive way he saw a truck was parked next to the curb in front of his house. Letting out a defeated sigh, he exited the car and headed inside.

Upon entering he noticed a few boxes stacked on top of one another. Looking up the stairs, he saw Michelle walk down with another box in her arms.

“Hey Brian,” Michelle greeted setting the box down next to the rest.

“Hi Chelle, who’s truck?” Brian asked gesturing towards the window with his head.

“Oh, that’d be Cody’s . . .”
Michelle admitted, twisting her hands together.

“Oh is he—”

“No, he let me use it . . .”

An awkward silence fell over them. Brian kept his gaze on his shoes while Michelle look anywhere but Brian.

“Fuck this is so awkward.”

Michelle let out a small laugh. “Yeah it is . . .”

“So um, who’ll get Pinkly?” Brian asked noticing that all the dog stuff was in its normal spot.

“You can.”

“But I’m always gone and—”
Michelle held her hand up to stop his excuse. Closing the distance she placed her hands on his shoulders. She knew this was affecting him worse than her.

“When you’re gone I’ll watch her, okay?” He just nodded in answer. “Bri, I’m sorry it came down to this.”

“It didn’t have to,” He mumbled not wanting to admit the end.

“But it did Brian. It sucks I know, not even a year and here we are, filed for divorce.”
Brian didn’t hide the fact he flinched when she said that word. “You know we can still be friends, we kinda have to be seeing as your best friend is my brother in law.”

“Yeah, I guess . . . are you—are you happy with Cody?” Brian asked finally looking his soon to be ex wife in the eyes.

“Yes I am Brian.” Michelle admitted knowing that no matter her answer, he’d still end up hurt. “You’ll find her one day Bri and she’ll be able to give you everything I wasn’t.”

“You were her though Michelle!” Brian snapped finally with his voice raised. He saw Michelle bring her hands up to wipe her eyes. “Chelle . . . don’t cry,” He whispered pulling her into a hug.

“Be strong Brian, please.” Pulling out of his embrace, Michelle placed a kiss on his cheek. “I’m going to finish putting these in the truck, then I’ll be official out of the house.”

Brian went back to just nodding. He stalked into his kitchen and opened the fridge grabbing a few beers then headed to the living room to watch whatever happened to be on the television.

Chugging down two beers, Brian looked over to see the last box sitting the hallway. Shaking his head, Brian flipped the television off and grabbed his car keys.

“Just, lock up when you’re done Michelle.”
Brian muttered as he passed by her and got into his car. Backing out of his driveway, he headed to the familiar street he grew up on. Quickly getting out of his car he walked up to his dad’s house not bothering to knock he went in. Hearing the television on he walked down the entry way to see his dad sitting on the couch.

“Hey Junior, what are you doing here?” Brian Senior asked glancing back at his son. When he didn’t get an answer Brian Senior sat up and fully turned to look at his eldest son. “Bri . . .”
Not able to ignore the heartbroken and defeated look on his boys face, he motioned for him to join him on the couch.

Brian sunk down next to his dad, the last time he remember being like this right next to his dad admitting defeat what when he was eight. “Does it get easier dad?”

“The divorce or—”

“The divorce. I don’t think I can really get over . . . ya know?”
Senior just nodded knowing that his son’s world seemed to be going to dark.

“Someday, it’ll all make sense. Remember the lord works in mysterious ways.”

Brian Junior let out a scoff muttering. “More like fucked up ways.”

Brian Haner Jr. didn’t realize that the Lord had already started to guide him down the new mysterious path of his life.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here's your teaser into the story.
Remember, everything isn't as it seems.
Sadly, Jimmy will not be in this story </3

Thanks to the 8 that have already Subscribed and the one that commented.

Thank you to all subscribers/readers/commenters.

love to know your thoughts.