Status: Finished. No sequel.

Living On A Prayer

X

Brian held in a sigh as he stared at the Church building in front of him. Eloise was standing next to him, her hand in his as she talked with a member of the church. James was perched on his hip, his stuffed monkey held close to his chest while his head was rested on Brian’s shoulder. He wasn’t sure what he was suppose to expect from today. He heard stories of how some churches were but he figured from the way Eloise personality and beliefs were that the church wasn’t that bad. Brian even noticed a few other men at the church had tattoos on their arms. This is when he wished McKenna had come today instead of staying home.

“Oh this is Brian Haner Jr.” He whipped his head towards Eloise and flashed a smile to the older couple.

“This is the musician your mother was telling me about?” The older lady asked, looking over Brian.

“Yes he is Mrs. Lowell.”

“Successful?” She questioned her eyes narrowing at Brian. “Because I won’t have this sweet young lady and her baby around some wanna be.”

“No ma’am, my band is very successful.” Brian reassured her not wanting to give people the wrong idea. Mrs. Lowell nodded before walking away. “Do I look unsuccessful?” Brian questioned quietly.

“No you don’t. You look very dapper actually.” Eloise complimented as she fixed the collar of his black shirt. A couple of the buttons were undone showing some of his chest piece, while his sleeves were rolled up right under his elbows showing off the colorful monsters. “Come on let’s get inside.”

Brian followed Eloise through the church giving small smiles to people greeted him and said their welcomes. Eloise gestured to the pew that her family always occupied.

“I’m assuming this man holding my grandson is Brain?”

“Dad . . .” Eloise scolded narrowing her eyes.

“Oh calm down, your mom wants in you in the kitchen to help set up communion.”

“I’ll be back Brian,” Eloise placed a kiss on his cheek and set the diaper bag on the pew then headed towards the back of the church.

“So Brian is it?” Mr. Parker asked.

“Yes sir,”

“Take a seat, don’t worry, I’m not going to play twenty questions with you.” Isaac Parker said as he took a seat next to Brian. “I’m actually good friends with your father.”

“Well that man can be considered a compulsive liar.” Brian joked knowing how his dad talked about him.

“You certainly have his sense of humor,” Isaac noted with a smile. “I see James really has taken a liking to you.”

Brian smiled as he looked down at the little boy who was playing with Brian’s long fingers. “Yeah he seems to be.”

“Did you ever want a family?” Brian raised his eyes to Eloise’s father slightly confused. “It’s just, Eloise has already gone through so much and I don’t want my grandson to get attached to someone who’ll just leave.”

“I don’t have any intentions of leaving. I’ve always wanted kids . . .” Isaac patted Brains back with a smile.

“Well I need to go get ready to do opening song and prayer.”

Brian let out a quiet sigh as he sat in the pew with just James. Glancing over he saw a family of five sitting down next to him. Looking over the woman, he figured she was related to Eloise somehow.

“Sorry Bri, the church ladies wouldn’t let me leave.” Eloise grumbled as she sat next to him. Brian just smiled and wrapped his right arm around her shoulders before kissing the side of her head.

“Eloise, and who are you?” Brian saw it was the woman from the family standing there, a hard look on her face.

“Sarah, this is Brian, Brian my older sister Sarah.” Eloise introduced, Brian noticed that Eloise tone of voice was off slightly.

“Hmm, well it’s nice to meet you Brian.”

“You too.” Brian looked over at Eloise once Sarah sat down next to her husband to see she was rolling her eyes.

“Just ignore her.” Eloise whispered. “She thinks that since she’s seven years older than me that she’s always right and can boss me around.” Brian nodded with a small laugh. “But her husband is really laid back and puts her in place . . . sometimes.”

Throughout church Brian kept his arm rested on the back of the pew behind Eloise, his hand wrapped around her shoulder. The song book was rested half on his thigh and half on hers while James was sitting on Brian’s other thigh. Brian found himself actually paying attention to the sermon that was being given, seeing as it was on sinning.

“Everyone turn to page two hundred and eighty two, two hundred and eighty two.” Eloise flipped through the book and glanced as the title.

Brian eyes widened when he heard how harmonized the church members were singing.
He glanced over at Eloise, smiling when he heard her sing.

“He arose! He arose! Hallelujah Christ arose!”

As the song finished everyone started to stand and chatter with each other. Eloise smiled over at Brian then leaned in giving him a light kiss on his lips. “So, did you enjoy it?”

“The kiss or church?” He countered with his cocky smirk plastered on his face.

“Very funny,” Brian smiled and pulled her in closer to his side.

“I enjoyed both but I think I will always enjoy the first one more.” Eloise dropped her head a little, blush covering her cheeks. “Awe babe,”

“Eloise?” Both Brian and Eloise looked up to see her mother standing there with a smile on her face. “Are you guys coming over to the house today for lunch?”

“Um,” Eloise looked towards Brian for the answer.

“We’ll be there Mrs. Parker.”

“Oh great! I assume you eat meat right? With those arms how can you not?” Brian let out a laugh as Eloise mom walked away. Eloise had her face hidden in Brian’s chest.

“Don’t be embarrassed El, come on let’s meet them back at their place.” Eloise lifted her head and nodded. She picked up the diaper bag while Brian carefully stood so he wouldn’t wake James up.

Brian followed Eloise directions to her parent’s house. Looking out his windshield confused, he parked in front of the house in the familiar neighborhood. As Eloise climbed out of the car she noticed Brian’s confused look. Giggling she grabbed James’ carrier and diaper bag then led Brian inside her parent’s home.

“So you grew up literally around the corner from me?” Brian asked as he followed Eloise down a hallway to a bedroom.

“Yes I did Brian,” Eloise set the car seat on the bed before she gently lifted James out. Frowning she let out a sigh. “Do you want to try changing a diaper?”

Brian arched his eyebrow and stared at the sleeping baby. “Wouldn’t it wake him up?”

“If it does, he’ll just go back to sleep afterwards.” Eloise told him as she got the diaper and wipes out. “Besides, it’s just a wet diaper nothing horrible.” Brian begrudgingly agreed. Huffing he went from memory of the rare times he changed McKenna’s diaper. Eloise stepped back with a small smile on her face as she watched Brian change James without any problems.

“Okay there.” Brian said snapping the onsie shut.

“Good job, and look he’s still asleep.” She kissed Brian’s cheek before she picked up James and set him in the travel crib her parents always had set up. Hearing the front door open and voices, three loud ones included, fill the house; Eloise led Brian back to the living room.

“Auntie El!” Three voices yelled. Brian’s eyes widened as the three boys rushed Eloise wrapping their arms around her legs.

“Hi boys, you’ve got to be quiet alright?”

“James napping?” Eloise youngest nephew asked with wide eyes.

“Yes he is Michael,” She answered picking up the three year old. “And how about you?”

“No!” Michael gasped then his eyes caught Brian. “He colored on his arms!” Brian glanced at his arms then back at Michael. “And his chest!”

Brian let out a chuckle as he approached the little boy in Eloise’s arms. Michael’s eyes got wider making Brian start laughing. “Brian . . .” Eloise scolded, all she got was a shrug.

“Boys why don’t you go outside and play?” Sarah suggested. Eloise set Michael down, he chased his brothers outside. “Eloise come help in the kitchen.”

She rolled her eyes then glanced over at Brian. He gave her a light kiss and pushed towards the kitchen.

“So Brian,” Sarah’s husband started as he sat down on the couch. Brian followed suit taking a seat on the two seater couch. Mr. Parker was situated in his recliner, with the Lakers game playing on the TV. “It’s Brian right?”

“Yeah, Brian Haner Jr.” He introduced himself, offering his hand.

“Daniel Portwood, nice to meet you.” Brian shook his hand. After they released their hands, Brian leaned back into the couch watching the basketball game. His gaze shifted when he saw Eloise standing next to the coffee table setting two bottles of beer down. Brian cocked his eye brow as she sat next to him handing him the third bottle. “Thanks sis,”

“Thanks sweetie.”

Brian wrapped his left arm around Eloise, pulling her closer into his side. He placed a kiss on the shell of her ear and murmured his thanks. “You’re welcome,” Eloise let out a sigh as she slipped off her shoes and pulled her legs up on the couch tucking them underneath herself. Brian shifted as he felt Eloise tuck herself into his side.

“And she’s out.” Daniel said amused as he observed the young couple. Brian looked down to see that Eloise in fact had fallen asleep. “How late did you keep her up last night?” Daniel asked with a laugh.

“We got back by eleven thirty,” Brian answered.

“I heard Jane mention something about James keeping her up for a couple hours.” Isaac answered not taking his eyes off the basketball game. Brian set his beer on the coffee table, then turned around and picked up Eloise into his arms. “Where you taking her Brian?”

“The room we set James in,” Brian walked down the hall to the room, pushing the door open with his foot. He set Eloise gently down on the bed then moved off the diaper bag and her purse. Hearing a small whimper, Brian looked into the travel crib to see James had his eyes open. “Hey bud,”

Brian lifted James out of the crib and checked his diaper, letting out a silent thank you that he was still clean. Deciding to take advantage of James’s sleepy state, Brian laid down on the bed next to Eloise. He rested James on his stomach and wrapped a supporting arm around him before drifting off.

Eloise groaned as she stretched out, opening her eyes she looked around confused as to how she got into the room. Looking to her side she saw Brian lying with one arm under his head and the other wrapped around her son who was sleeping on Brian’s chest. Smiling she leaned over placing a kisses on his jaw.

He let out a groan as the lips continued. Opening his eyes, Brian smiled as Eloise nestled her face into his neck. “That’s a way to wake up.”

“So did you move me here?” She watched as Brian nodded. “We should wake James up otherwise I won’t get him down at a reasonable hour tonight.” Eloise took her son from Brian’s chest and brought him into her arms. “Hey little guy, time to wake up.”

Brian stretched his muscles but kept his eyes on Eloise and James. She glanced up to see brown eyes glued on her, a smile on his lips. Blush she dropped her gaze back down to James.
“You know Eloise, I had a really good time with you this weekend.”

“I did to Brian.”

Brian sat up and reached his hand out, brushing the hair out of Eloise’s face. Leaning in, making sure he didn’t squish James, he brought her into deep, sensual kiss. Slowly pulling away, he opened his eyes to see Eloise breathing deeply, her eyes still closed.

“I don’t know what I’m going to do if you keep kissing me like that Brian.” Eloise told him as she slowly opened her eyes. Keeping eye contact with her, Brian smiled and leaned in, kissing her again.

“You can say yes to being my girlfriend.”
♠ ♠ ♠
thanks to all readers/subscribers/commenters
love to know your thoughts.