Status: Finished. No sequel.

Living On A Prayer

XV

Brian pulled into the familiar houses drive way and popped open his trunk before he headed up the front door. Entering the house he smiled when Eloise’s brother passed James over to him. Brian knew that Eloise would want James by the time he got back. Isaac had two bags and the portable crib folded up in his hand. Brian strapped James into the car seat and said goodbye to the Parker family. Shaking hands with Isaac, Brian closed the trunk and waved at Eloise dad as he pulled out of the driveway.

Brian turned his volume down in the car as he headed towards the bank he knew Eloise used. After arriving there Brian grabbed James from the back and made his way into the bank.

“Hi, how may I help you?” One of the younger female bankers asked. Brian glanced around through tented lenses not sure of who he was supposed to talk to.

“Uh yeah I was wondering who I was supposed to talk to about a foreclosure.” Brian said as he shifted James to his other hip.

“That would be our manager, take a seat and I’ll let him know you’re here Mr. . . ?”

“Haner,”

“Alright Mr. Haner I’ll go let him know.” Brian nodded taking a seat in one of the chairs they had. James rested his head on Brian’s chest, eyes slowly closing. Brian glanced down praying that James stayed a sleep for now.

“Mr. Haner?” Brian glanced up to see a guy, mid forties maybe standing, in front of him. He could already tell this guy was a major douche. The slicked hair and high end suit with the shiny polished shoes.

“Yes that’s me.” Brian stood up and approached the man. The bank manager looked Brian over and raised a single eyebrow.

“Well Mr. Haner, I’m Mitchell Emerson, why don’t we go into my office.” Brian followed the banker to the office. He knew the banker probably thoughts he was some low life, what with him wearing ripped jeans and his numerous tattoos. “Alright Mr. Haner you were inquiring to a foreclosure?”

“Yeah,”

“Well I’m sure we can see where you are in pay—”

Brian rolled his eyes and shifted James again on his lap. “I’m nowhere near losing my house. I was wondering about Eloise Kent’s house that was foreclosed on a few weeks ago.”

“Ah Ms. Kent, well she wasn’t paying. She doesn’t pay, we take the house.”

Brian’s jaw tightened by this guy’s flippant attitude towards Eloise. “Do you not have any sympathy that her husband died serving for our country?”

“People die all the time Mr. Haner. If I made an exception for her, then I’d have to make one for everybody.” Mitchell Emerson said leaning back in his chair, hands placed in his lap, a small smirk on his face.

“You’re an asshole I hope you know that.” Brian told him standing up. “And when it comes to it, the Lord will see how you treated people and deny you into heaven.” With that Brian left the man’s office. Shaking his head he thought over what he just said to the man. “I am going to church way to fuckin much.”

Brian set James back into the car seat making sure he was secured in there before he drove off. Still steamed at the point Brian arrived at Costco, he decided to distract himself by buying clothes for James and Eloise favorite ice cream. Finally getting through the check out Brian handed his receipt to the lady at the door.

“He’s such a cutie,” She cooed as James waved at her. Brian said thanks then made his way back to the car. Quickly putting the items in his trunk, Brian picked up James and the diaper bag and put the cart back. After situating James, Brian turned around, his eyes widening.

“Michelle?”

“Brian . . . hi,” They both shifted awkwardly and then Brian remember what Eloise had told him this afternoon. “Um I have Pinkly with me if you want to take her now.” Brain nodded and took the dog, putting her in the back with James. “Oh I see you have the baby . . .”

“Yeah so what?” Brian snapped at tone of voice.

“Nothing. I just hope you aren’t using her for—” Brian let out a groan.

“Goddamn Michelle . . . I am with Eloise because I like her and her family is friends of my family! Her having James is just a bonus.”

“She isn’t using you is she?”

“Do you know what? I am sick of this!” Michelle jumped at her ex’s yelling. “I don’t say shit about that pussy of a guy you’re with and tell you who you should and shouldn’t date. So don’t even think for a second you can tell me or judge the woman I am with.” Brian took a deep breath and closed his eyes. When he opened them he saw his former lover wiping her eyes. “Chelle . . . you know I’ll always love you but you wanted this and I’m finally really happy again.”

“I know Bri, I’m just scared some girl is going to get her claws into you and just use you . . . but the way Val talks about Eloise and the way she was in High school,” Brian nodded pulling her into a hug.

“I better go, I have ice cream in the trunk and a baby in the car . . .” After kissing the side of her head, Brian and Michelle parted.

Eloise let out a yawn as she rubbed her face. She woke up when she heard the garage door opening and closing and a small bark accompanied by a giggle. Going down the stairs, she let out a small surprised gasp to see her baby holding himself up by the couch.

“Hey babe I was just about to come get you.” Brian said as he walked by giving her a quick kiss. “I got us In and Out if you don’t mind."

“N—No, not at all . . .” Eloise muttered. “When did you get James?” She asked sitting down next to Brian.

“Before I went to the store,” Brian answered through a mouthful of a four by four burger. He picked up the remote and put it on Nick Jr. for James. “Go on eat,” Eloise slowly ate her food while Brian seemed to inhale it. “What do you think everyone is up to tonight?”

Brian looked over his shoulder at Eloise as he walked into his kitchen. “Sex probably knowing the guys.”

“Brian!” Eloise exclaimed with her eyes wide.

“What?” He asked as he laughed at her reaction. “It’s true! They probably did something with their girls today and tonight or now they’re going at it.” He sat back down resting his right arm on the back of the couch. “Are you uncomfortable talking about sex?”

“No it’s not that, I was just raised and believe in waiting till marriage.” Brian’s eyebrows winged up at her answer. Eloise didn’t notice his expression as she perched James on her lap.

“So . . . we wouldn’t . . .?”

“What have sex before marriage?” Eloise asked looking over at him. “As of right now no. Honestly I’m not one hundred percent sure how it works if you’re widowed. The bible says to save yourself for the holy spirit . . .”

“Uh . . . well I guess suggesting you moving in here with me is out of the question?” Brian asked as James moved to his lap. Eloise took a deep breath thinking about what Brian had just asked.

“It’s a very thoughtful gesture Brian but . . . it’s too soon for me. My parents place will be fine for the time being.” Eloise declined. She honestly was scared to move in with Brian at the moment, still afraid he’d just leave the picture.

“I understand, but the offers on the table alright?” Brian put James down on the floor where he proceeded to pull himself up by the coffee table. “How long until he walks on his own?”

“Any time now I guess,” Both of them sat there watching as James made his way around the table. He stretched out one hand to reach for Pinkly and grunted when he couldn’t reach her. Eloise let out a small laugh as the dog only lifted her head before going back to sleep. Brian eyes went wide as James let go of the coffee table and took a couple steps towards Pinkly before falling on his diapered bottom. “Oh my goodness . . .”

“What should we do?” Brian asked since James wasn’t crying. He just sat on the floor then placed his little hands on the ground before straightening his legs out and standing up. He wobbled for a second then took a step and fell down again.

“Well he’s determined isn’t he.” Eloise curled into Brian’s side as they watched James continue to stand, take a step and fall.

“Just like his mom,” Brian murmured as he gave her kiss, happy that he was able to see a first of James’s many.
♠ ♠ ♠
Just gave myself a mini heart attack...accidently posted the next chapter then two second after realized what I did deleted it....blonde moment for me.

and after the next chapter expect time jumps, nothing drastic but just to move the story along.

Thank you to all readers/subscribers ('ello new ones!)/comments

oh and Vampirate, I seriously am laughing after I read your comments because I'm wondering if your inside my thought process of how I'm going to do the story.

love to know your thoughts!


and since I am in a very, very, very, very good mood tonight. (and if you pay attention to hockey you'd understand why I said very 4 times)

I love You Guys as much as I love the LA Kings (feel very honored because if you know me then you know I love nothing more then the boys)

not that I didn't love you guys before.