Status: Finished. No sequel.

Living On A Prayer

XXI

Brian laid across his couch, his head in Eloise’s lap while James was laying across his chest asleep. He had yet to tell Eloise about this morning when he got to her parents house. Brian was unsure of how to react to it. Part of him was proud that James called him ‘dada’ and the other part of him, was scared out of his mind. Scared that if something happened, he’d never get to see James, scared that if he tells Eloise, she’d react badly.

Eloise noticed Brian’s eyes were drifting close every few seconds as she kept running her hands through his hair. Smiling she looked over Brian and James, happy with how comfortable Brian was with her son. Carefully maneuvering Brian’s head to the couch, Eloise stood up to let Pinkly outside. Hearing the door bell ring, she quickly glanced seeing the boys were still asleep then went to Brian’s front door. Opening the door she saw Michelle standing there.

“Hello Michelle, may I help you?” Eloise asked being polite, she was still a little on edge about the media thing.

“Is Brian here?” Michelle glanced over Eloise, an eyebrow slowly rising.

“Yes but he’s taking a nap with James at the moment.”

“Oh whatever just let me in I need to speak with him.” Eloise crossed her arms and gave Brian’s ex wife a deadpan look.

“I don’t think I will with that attitude.”

“This is still my—”

“No it is not, the divorce was finalized the day before Brian’s birthday. I know, he showed the papers, told me what he got. And I know he got this house because he bought it.” Eloise told her straight out. Before Michelle could respond, the door was opened wider to reveal Brian holding a sleepy, yet awake James.

“What are you doing here?” Brian asked, his voice still groggy.

“I need to speak with you,” Michelle told him then glanced over at Eloise. “In private.” Brian let out a sigh before he gently handed James to Eloise.

“We’ll talk in the studio,” He muttered letting her in. Eloise held a glare as Michelle sauntered past her. “Sorry but it’ll be the easiest was to get rid of her. I promise baby,” Brian leaned down giving Eloise a kiss before heading to his studio.

Eloise just closed the front door with the shake of her head. Pulling James closer to her, she got him back to sleep. Eloise placed him in his play yard with his stuffed monkey. Sitting back on the couch, she nibbled on her bottom lip waiting for Brian and Michelle to come out. Due the studio being sound proof she couldn’t hear what was going on, until the door slammed open.

“Don’t you dare fucking pull that shit again! I swear Michelle, I will reconsider us ever being on a friendly term or you getting Pink!” Brian hollered after her as Michelle left the house.

Brian’s chest heaved trying to calm himself down. Hearing a cry, he snapped out of his anger and went into the living room. Before Eloise could even get off the couch, he was over at the play yard picking James up comforting him.

“What happened Brian?” Eloise asked as he sat down on the couch next to her.

“She’s just trying to pull shi—crap and got mad I accused her of talking to the media.”

“Did she?” Eloise asked rubbing James’ back as he drifted back to sleep again in Brian’s arms.

“I have no clue, she wouldn’t answer me honestly.” Brian muttered.

“Well—” Brian’s cell phone ringing cut her off. She took James so he could answer the phone.

“Hello? . . . No shit, well yeah uh hold on a sec,” Eloise looked over at Brian as he brought his phone away. “Val went into labor, they’re at the hospital now,”

“Do they want us there?”

“Yeah,”

“Tell Matt to call us when Val get’s to eight okay?”

“Matt, yeah call us when she gets to eight . . . I don’t know unless Val really needs her we’ll come earlier.” Brian hung up the phone and gave her a small smile. “He’s a few weeks early,”

“He’ll be okay Bri, she’s at thirty eight weeks, and the weeks following are just growing time.” Eloise put James done one more time praying that he’d actually get his nap so he wouldn’t be cranky.

“Sorry about waking him,”

“It’s okay Bri,” Eloise told him. Brian grabbed her hips and pulled her down onto his lap. He nuzzled his face into her neck giving her light kisses. “Are you alright Bri?”

“Hmm?”

“You’ve just been off today,” Brian pulled away debating whether or not to tell her. “Brian you know you can tell me anything right?”

“This morning, when I woke up James . . .” He paused glancing up at her. “He uh, he called me dada.” Eloise froze, her face giving nothing away.

“Oh,”

“Oh?” Brian asked confused.

“I’m sorry Brian, we just have to teach him—”

“El, calm down.” Brian brushed some hair behind her ear. “Honestly, I didn’t really mind . . .”

“You didn’t?” Eloise closed her eyes feeling relieved.

“No, but I admit a part of me freaked out but then . . . I realized how much I want to be in his life, and yours.” Brian gave her a smile and noticed her eyes were watering. “Hey, it’s okay.”

“I’m sorry, I—I never thought,” He wiped away the stray tear that slipped down her cheek. Leaning forward, he placed a light kiss on her lips. Eloise wrapped her arms around his neck not letting go of him.

A few hours later Brian and Eloise were sitting in the waiting room at the hospital with everyone else. McKenna came over to watch James, with the promise of fifty dollars, a new pair of shoes, and a bag she’d been wanting. Brian of course rolled his eyes but agreed, he didn’t mind spoiling his little sister.

“How long does it usually take?” Johnny asked.

“It depends, she was lucky that it’s only been six hours.” Eloise answered as she curled into Brian’s side.

“How long were you in labor?” Gena asked.

“Fifteen hours, but I didn’t go into the hospital till I was about seven centimeters.” Brian chuckled as everyone looked at her with wide eyes.

“Did you get any pain meds?” Lacey asked feeling like she was in pain as she thought about it.

“No,” Eloise answered as Brian kissed the side of her head. Looking over, Brian saw Matt walk into the waiting room wearing a big smile, bigger than any of them have ever seen.

“You guys want to see him?” Matt asked the smile never disappearing. Everyone stood and followed him to the room. Val was lying on the bed with their son in her arms.

“Hey guys,” All of the guys made their way over, giving her a kiss on the forehead then the girls cooed over the baby. “Do you want to hold him Brian?”

“Uh, sure.” Brian bent over and moved the baby boy into his arms. Eloise guided him to a chair in the room. He stared down at the little boy in his arms, a heavy feeling coming over him.

“Brian you okay?” Eloise asked as she noticed his face. She took the baby into her arms as Brian stood leaving the room. “What’s . . .?”

“I’ll go talk to him,” Matt told them leaving the room. Not having to go far, Matt found Brian leaning against the wall with his eyes closed. “Bro, you alright?”

“I—sorry,”

“What’s this about?” Matt asked leaning against the wall next to him.

“You know Matt, and then add the fact Jimmy should be here to see your son born.” Brian muttered.

“Okay . . . do you want me to get El?”

“Yeah, tell Val I’m sorry and Owen’s a good lookin kid.” Brian told him as they hugged each other. After they pulled away, he noticed that Eloise was leaning against the wall watching them.

“Hey El,”

“Hi Matt,” She gave him a hug and kissed his cheek. “Don’t hesitate if you guys need something okay?”

“Will do, I’ll see you guys later right?”

“Yeah you will,” They waved at Matt as he went back into the room. Eloise turned around and looked at Brian. “Ready to go home?” He asked.

“Sure,” Eloise didn’t ask any questions. She knew that if he wanted to, he would tell her what made him leave the room. Driving back to his house only took them about fifteen minutes, then Brian left for another ten to take his sister home. Meanwhile Eloise changed James into some pajamas and laid him down on Brian’s bed.

“So you staying here tonight?” Brian asked as he walked into his bathroom.

“If you want us to,”

“Of course I do. If it was up to me, you two would be living here.” Brian told her with a grin. Eloise rolled her eyes while Brian handed her a pair of his basketball shorts and a shirt. “You should keep some of your stuff here,”

“Maybe I should.”

Brian shook his head as she left to change and get ready for bed. Brian pulled his pair of basketball shorts on then laid out on the bed next to James. He ran his fingers through the light blonde hair and down James chubby cheeks that were slowly going away. Feeling the bed shift, he looked up to see Eloise settling herself in his bed. Brian scooped up James and put him in the play yard.

“You’re so good with him.” Eloise murmured as she placed her head on Brian’s bare chest. “You’ll make such a good father one day,” Brian just nodded and tightened his grip on her. Looking down he saw that Eloise had drifted off already. Brian looked across the hallway to the empty green bedroom with sigh he turned off the lamp.
♠ ♠ ♠
Your guys comments...ah honestly I never even thought of it being Michelle that talked with the media. Never occured to me to make those connects >.<

and I was going to post this yesterday while I watched the Kings game but one of our Alt. Captains Kopitar, broke his ankle during the game. The look of pain on his face is just heart breaking, plus playoffs start in a few weeks and he's suppose be out for six or more. So I just couldn't :( (still won though.)

Thank you to all readers/Subs (over 200 now, I am beyond amazed)/commenters

Love ya!