Status: Finished. No sequel.

Living On A Prayer

XXXI

Brian swept his hand across his forehead as he made his way up the rented villa’s drive way. He knew that down in St. Barts it’d be warmer than at home but he didn’t expect the humidity. He had woken up in the middle of the night to an empty bed only to find that Eloise was taking a cold shower. Brian ended up closing all the windows and turning on their room’s air conditioning.

Once inside the house, Brian noticed his dad and soon to be father in law were in the pool at the drop off edge. Not hearing one in the kitchen or seeing them in the dining room, he figured his mom and soon to be mother in law were playing at the tennis court the house came with. Shaking his head, Brian made his way to the bedroom he was sharing with Eloise and James, for the moment.

Setting the manila envelope down on the bed, noting James wasn’t in his play pin; Brian made his way back into the bathroom. Seeing Eloise standing in front of the mirror doing her hair, he smiled taking in the small but noticeable belly. He kissed her cheek before he stripped off his sweaty clothes and stepped into the shower. He thought about how they had to have a civil marriage at the courthouse in order to marry on the island. So the night before they left they just went to the court house and signed the papers with Matt and Val as the witnesses.

“Hey Bri?” Eloise called out. Snapping out of his thoughts, Brian took a couple steps out to see Eloise tying her bikini top. “Can you spray the sunscreen on me, please?”

“Sure,” Brian flipped the water off and grabbed a towel wrapping it around his waist. He took the can and sprayed the sunscreen on her. Finishing up, he walked over and pulled on his swim trunks, letting Eloise spray him. “Alright, ready to go down to the cove?” He noticed Eloise hesitation. “What’s wrong babe?”

“I . . . do I like alright?” Eloise asked as she played with the tie cover she had over her bottoms.

“Beautiful Elli, why would you think otherwise?” Brian walked over to her wrapping his arms around her. She just shrugged, her belly resting against his stomach. “Come on, you look great.” Brian grabbed her hand and led her down to the private beach where their friends were.

“Did you get everything set up with a minister?” Eloise asked as they walked down the path.

“Yes, showed them the papers, got the others we need.” Brian wrapped his arm around her shoulder as they got down to the sand. Val was sitting in a beach chair under the sunshade with Owen while Matt was in the water with the other guys playing with James. Lacey and Gena were lying out in the sun tanning. “Where’s Kenna?”

“She is playing tennis with the moms; no doubt she’ll be down here soon.” Val answered as Eloise took a seat next to her. “You look so cute in that suit! Now take off the wrap, put some tanning spray on you and go lay in the sun.”

“You girls have fun; I’ll be in the water.” Brian chuckled as he heard the girls jabbering on about something. Going out into the clear blue water, he smiled as James started wiggle in Matt’s arms trying to get to him.

“Whoa little guy,” Matt laughed as he tightened his grip on James.

“Dada!”

“Are you use to being called that?” Zacky asked while he watched Brian take his step son into his arms.

“Yeah I guess, it was a little weird at first but it’s all good now.” Brian told them as he let James slash in the water.

“How are you guys going to tell him about his dad?” Johnny asked as they all heard the women on the beach laugh.

“Uh we haven’t even thought about that.”

“Well you’re going to have to. He’ll notice he looks nothing like you Brian and he’s going to ask.” Matt told him as he crossed his arms over his chest. “Have you thought about adopting him?”

“Uh,”

“Dude, come on, let him worry about one thing at a time.” Zacky said as he flicked water at Matt. “Seriously, focus on marrying her and then worry about if you want to adopt James. Even then, it’s up to Eloise if she wants James to legally be yours too.” Brian nodded thinking about it.

“It’s up to El, even though she isn’t on speaking terms with his parents . . .”

“Brian?” Eloise called out at the edge of the water. “Can you bring James in? He needs another coat of sunscreen.” Brian lifted James up to his and carried him to the beach. “There’s my boys.”

“Mama!”

“Hi big boy,” Eloise smiled as Brian stood in front of her. “You have fun with your uncles?”

“Yeah!” Brian shook his head as they went back to where they had the sun shade set up. To Brian it was amazing how many words James actually knew but liked to play shy around everyone. Sitting down on the towel, he laughed as Gena held James up so he could be sprayed.

“Okay Brian, you take James and go have your boy talk.” Val said shooing them away.

“Hey, what if I wanted them to stay?” Eloise asked as she propped herself up on her elbows.

“No this is girl talk time.” Lacey giggled.

“I wish we could’ve given you a bachelorette party.” Gena said with a sigh. “We could’ve had so much fun!”

“How? I’m breast feeding so I can’t drink much. Eloise can’t drink at all plus I doubt she’d want to do what we did in Vegas for mine.” Val told Gena as she shifted Owen against her chest as the baby slept.

“No fun,” Gena mumbled. “Well, we’ll get to throw you a baby shower right?”

“Yes, if you want to do that along with my mom, Suzy, and Brian’s mom.” Eloise answered with a smile. She knew the moms wouldn’t give up on anyone else planning the shower.

“How about a co-ed shower?” Lacey suggested.

“No,” Val and Eloise groaned out.

“Okay then . . .”

“When will you know what you’re having?” Gena asked when she reached over to rub Eloise’s belly.

“Well I could find out at my appointment when we get home but Brian will be on the road and I really want him there when we find out.”

“Aw, that’s so cute!” Val gushed. “No matter what, the kid is going to have people chasing after it.”

“And if it’s a girl,”

“Brian’s got his guns ready.” Eloise told them earning a laugh.

“I have a question,” Lacey stated getting Eloise’s attention. “Are you going to have Brian adopt James and take Haner as his last name?”

“I was wondering that too,” Gena added in. Eloise sighed and just shrugged as answer.

“I haven’t really thought about it. Do you think it’d insult Wyatt’s memory if I have James’ last name be changed to Haner?”

“Well you can hyphen it. Make it Kent—Haner.” Val suggested. “You know James will ask when he’s older why he doesn’t look like his daddy.”

“I know and that’ll be hard enough to tell him.” Eloise mumbled.

“We know sweetie, but you’ll have Brian to help you.” Lacey told her.

“Plus Brian can tell James how Wyatt will always be James’ father but Brian’s the dad.” Gena comforted.

“I think you should think about it honey.” Val told Eloise honestly. “Plus it’d help later down on the road and he wouldn’t just be the step dad.”

“Thanks guys, I’ll think about it.” Eloise gave them a smile even though the suggestion was added onto the list of something else to think about. “Okay I’m done roasting in the sun, I think I’ll join them up by the pool.” She made her way up to the deck and let out a sigh as she sat down on the couch.

“Hey sweetie, how are feeling?” Suzy asked taking a seat next to her.

“I’m good, just tired.”

“Why don’t you go take a nap then?” Suzy suggested. Eloise nodded and got up heading to her room. Suzy shook her head as Jane came over to the couch and sat down.

“Where’s Ellie going?”

“To take a nap,”

“Ah, one of those days.” Jane said with a smile. “I was always tired when I was pregnant with her.”

“I had a lot of energy with McKenna,” Suzy said as she looked over to the pool where her daughter was playing. “Explains a lot doesn’t it?”

“Hey, where’d El go?” Brian asked as he got to the deck.

“To take a nap, which by the looks of it, was James idea too.” Jane told him.

“Yeah, he started getting sleepy so I thought I’d bring him up here. Thanks guys,” Brian made his way to their bedroom making sure he didn’t wake up James. Once he got in, he saw that Eloise was already asleep. Quietly he got out a diaper for James and a towel to lay him on. Changing him out of his trunks and little swimmers, Brian put the diaper on him and set him in his travel pin.

Cleaning up, Brian stripped himself and pulled on his briefs before climbing on the bed. Lying behind his fiancé, he rubbed his hand over her stomach and kissed the back of her neck. Two days from now they’d be married. Their child would be born in five months and now Brian had the question floating around in his mind. Should he bring up adoption to Eloise? Shaking his head, Brian closed his eyes figuring he should try to get some sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
thanks to all readers/subs/commenters