Status: Finished. No sequel.

Living On A Prayer

XXXII

Eloise relaxed more into the bubble bath she had drawn up before she had to get ready for tonight. After being gone all day yesterday for her birthday with Brian, James hadn’t left her side all morning now. In order for to get ready for the ceremony at sunset, Brian had to take James to the other part of the house. It broke her heart hearing him cry while Brian tried to comfort him. The ceremony was only mere hours away. Even though there are no bride’s maids or grooms men, Gena was doing everyone’s hair, if needed.

“El, honey?” Hearing her mother’s voice, Eloise called out letting her know where she was. “There you are,” Eloise sat up when she saw her mom had James in her arms. She noticed he was red in the cheeks and kept sniffling.

“Mom,” Eloise sat up and leaned forward against the edge of the tub.

“No matter what we did, what Brian did, he wouldn’t stop. If we set him down he’d try to run over here. Brian even tried to take a nap with him and it didn’t work.”

“When was the last time his diaper was changed?” Eloise asked as she nibbled on her bottom lip.

“Not that long ago, why?”

“Strip him and hand him to me.”

Jane just nodded doing what her daughter said. She got her grandson undressed and lifted him to Eloise. Once Eloise had him, Jane sat on the edge of the tub as her daughter cradled James to her chest.

“Why is he acting like this?” Jane asked, knowing that James had gotten over his separation anxiety.

“I don’t know. I guess he isn’t use to me be being gone all day, not seeing me before he went to bed. Then again, he only saw for a few hours this morning before Brian took him to the guy’s side.” Eloise said thinking over everything. She stroked James’ blonde hair as he shifted in her lap, resting his head on her chest. Watching his eyes slowly drift close, Eloise just smiled lightly as he calmed down enough to sleep.

“Well now, if I knew that he would fall asleep if you just held him.” Jane said throwing her hands up earning a small laugh from her daughter.

“He is a mama’s boy,”

“Well—”

“Uh I know I’m not supposed to see Ellie till tonight but . . . can I speak with her?” Brian’s voice rang out through the bathroom. Jane just laughed shaking her head.

“You two don’t follow tradition; technically she’s already your wife Haner!” Jane said as she patted his shoulder. Brian rolled his eyes and took a seat where Jane had been.

“All he wanted was his mommy?” Brian asked as he leaned down giving her a kiss.

“Yep,” Eloise just gave him a smile. She sighed as she felt his hands on her shoulders and relaxed as he started rubbing them.

“Brian!” Gena growled. “Seriously? Get out now; I need to get her ready.”

“Okay, okay.” Brian stood up chuckling. He grabbed a towel and picked James from Eloise. “I’ll make sure he stays asleep until the ceremony otherwise you’ll have to hold him while walking down the aisle.”

“Brian,” Gena stated waiting for him to go. “Don’t think about—” Brain bent over kissing Eloise. He pulled away then turned to see Gena glaring at him.

“I’m going,” He chuckled out as he held James close to him. On his way out, Brian grabbed James’ things and walked back to the room Eloise’s parents were staying in. He placed a diaper on James and laid him in the middle of the bed, surrounded him by pillows.

“Hey man, he calm down yet?” Matt asked as he slipped into the room.

“Yeah, a couple minutes with Ellie and he was out like a light.”

“So, you ready for tonight? Only a have a couple more hours till sunset.” Matt gave his best friend and former brother in law a smile as he sat next to him on the bed.

“Yeah, I am. I think with Chelle, we just knew each other for so long, didn’t start our relationship right.”

“But you loved her dude,”

“I did, still do just . . . not in that way anymore. There’s just something different about El.” Brian admitted as they felt the bed move a little. Turning, they saw James sitting up, rubbing his eyes. “Come here little bud,” James crawled onto his lap and rested his head on Brian’s chest.

“What about baby Haner?” Matt asked as he watched Brian cradle James.

“What about it?”

“Nervous about having a kid that’s yours?” Brian looked over at Matt confused then shrugged.

“Weren’t you nervous?”

“Yeah of course but I was excited then as the kid was coming out, that’s when it hit me. Nothing will ever be the same.” Matt told him honestly. “I know you have a taste of it with James but with the new baby you’ll be up all hours of the night, she’ll be ten times more tired, sore, her hormones will be out of whack. Then add a toddler on top of that, who will need potty trained soon . . .”

“I didn’t think about that,”

“Well too late to do anything about it know dude.” Matt patted Brian’s back as he chuckled. “I was wondering something,”

“Okay,” Brian handed James over to Matt as he went to get himself ready for the ceremony. As he stepped into the shower, he could hear Matt walking into the bathroom.

“How did El get pregnant?”

“Dude, you have a kid, you should know!”

“Not that you smartass!” Matt rolled his eyes as he shifted James in his arms. “I meant, how did she get pregnant.” Matt heard Brian let out a sigh. “From what Val told me, El wasn’t on birth control.”

“No,” Brian answered wrapping the towel around his waist. “She wasn’t. She was going to, that is when she found out she was pregnant.”

“Did you guys not use condoms or something?”

“No, we did.” Brian told him as he got his razor and shaving cream out. “Only once we didn’t use it and I know she didn’t get pregnant because of that one time.”

“Then what was it?” Matt asked as he sat James on the counter. Who looked up, watching each stroke Brian made with the razor.

“Expired condoms.”

“Seriously?” Brian just nodded as his best friend howled with laughter. Brian rolled his eyes and went back to shaving.

“What’s so funny in here?” Zacky’s voice rang out, Johnny following behind him.

“This shit head—”

“Dude, language!” Johnny shouted pointing over at James.

“Whatever,” Matt said waving off his small friend. “This idiot forgot to check the expiration date on his condoms.”

“Dude . . . we learned that shit—”

“Zack,”

“Sorry, we learned that in like, the tenth grade!” Zacky exclaimed as Brian dried his face.

“I know we did, but that was the last thing on my mind. And honestly, I don’t care, I’m happy Ellie got pregnant.” All the guys were stunned into silence at Brian’s admission. Brian just carried on getting dressed then getting his hair done.

“Wow . . . okay, I’m taking James since that’s what I was sent here for.” Johnny said picking James up from the counter and leaving the room.

“Why are you in here Zacky?” Matt asked while Brian continued to perfect his hair.

“Got done setting up, have nothing else to do.”

“I think I love El even more for not making me wear a tux.” Brian said as he looked down at the light, loose clothes Eloise had picked out.

“Shit man, I wish that’d been my case.” Matt said as he saw the slacks and light button down shirt.

“Wait till you see Eloise man, that dress is all Gena’s been able to talk about.” Zacky told him with a smile.

“Boys! Come on, time get out here!” Suzy hollered from the hallway.

“Be there in second!” Brian answered back.

“So where are you taking El after this?”

“Well the reception is here then I got us a hotel room on a different part of the island for a couple of days.” Brian told them as they made their way outside and down the hill to where the look over the water was.

“Good, Brian you go up there next to the minister and wait right there.” Suzy said guiding him to the spot that over looked the water.

Brian let out a deep breath as they waited. He kept his eyes casted down so he wasn’t tempted to look up the hill, or the area where Eloise would be coming from. He could see his family and her family in the front row of the chairs and their friends behind them.

“She looks beautiful,” Brian heard the minister say. “You’re a lucky man.” Glancing up, Brian felt his breath hitch as he took in Eloise walking closer to him. His mouth went dry as he noticed her dress showed off her pregnancy. Brian agreed with what the minister had said, he was a very lucky man and knew this was the right choice for him and for her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Honeymoon is about to be over.
That's all I'm sayin.

Thanks you to all the readers/subs (even tho a few subbed then unsubbed, w/e)/commenters
Love ya!