Status: Finished. No sequel.

Living On A Prayer

XXXIV

Brian watched as the screen on his phone went blank. No call or text from his wife. He would be lying if he said he was surprised. After their fight, they barely spoke to each other the next morning. He still was trying to figure out why she flipped out about it. At least she had sent him the ultra sound pictures from her appoint a couple days after he went on tour. She had said in the email they wouldn’t find out the gender until he returns home. Brian bit his lip as he watched Zacky, Johnny, and Arin play poker at the table.

“She still not call you yet?” Zacky asked as he dealt out the cards.

“Nope,”

“You know, you can always call her. It’s a phone, not a TV.” Johnny told him dryly. Johnny had let it be known that he wasn’t happy with him. Brian had told the guys what had happened after a few days of him being in a bad mood.

“Or he can apologize and realize what an idiot he’s being.” Matt’s loud voice boomed as he came down the narrow bus hallway. Brian groaned as he leaned his head back on the couch.

“I don’t see what’s wrong with it? We only do shit on the bus and sometimes the hotel room.”

“You’re an idiot.” Zacky muttered.

“Seriously Gates, I quit doing all of that shit once I found out Val was pregnant.”

“But you rarely even did that stuff anyways.” Brian pointed out.

“Doesn’t matter. I knew that I could still carry toxins if you guys smoked stuff around me and then bring it around Val and the baby.”

“Plus, El has never been on tour with us so she doesn’t know. We know Michelle wouldn’t care because she’s known us for so long. Eloise hasn’t, at least not that well.” Johnny pointed out. Brian just shook his head.

“I still don’t get it,”

“Apparently it’s already affected your brain cells.” Matt grumbled as he tossed his water bottle away. “Gates she doesn’t want you to die. She knows how Jim died and she doesn’t want that happening to you. She doesn’t want to lose her husband to stupidity.”

“Did you say her sister emailed you?” Arin chimed in. Brian only nodded, curious to what Arin had to say. “Well you said that her sister didn’t like you much. So Eloise is probably embarrassed that her sister brought this up to her. She probably wanted to prove her wrong but now feels like her sister was right . . .” Arin trailed off quietly.

“Bri, you need to sit down and talk with her. We’re going to be home in a few days and your wedding reception is the night we get back.” Zacky told him, hoping that what they’re saying goes through his thick skull.

“You don’t want to end in divorce, especially if you’re still thinking about adopting James.” Johnny added. “Plus you’ve only been married a month.”

Brian just sighed and got up from his spot on the couch and went to his bunk. He shut the current to his bunk, his cell phone screen lighting up the small area. Bring up a message, Brian typed away, and hit send to Eloise. Letting out a sigh, Brian hoped this was the right thing to do. He didn’t like giving up something that relaxed him and helped past the time. But in order to save his marriage, he knew some things he had to give up.

Eloise set her phone down with a sigh then let out a groan as she heard James let out a scream, again. She walked into the living room to see he had thrown all the toys from the chest on to the living room floor.

“James why did you do this?”

“Me, no!” James shouted as he threw one of his toys across the room.

“James Alexander Kent!” Eloise gasped. “You do not throw your toys.” She scolded.

“No!” James shouted again. Eloise held in a frustrated groan. She thought the terrible twos were suppose to start after he turned two, not six months before.

“Come on, you’re taking a nap.”

“No!” This time instead of just screaming, he added crying. She picked him up off the ground, having trouble keeping a firm grip on him as he wiggled around. She quickly got him upstairs while he continued to thrash around. Eloise let out gasp and set James down. James looked up at Eloise with wide eyes. She held her stomach as the baby inside her stopped moving around as much as it usually did. “Mama,” He cried as she continued to rub her twenty three week belly.

“Jamie,” She picked him back up as he really started to cry. Eloise knew he was sorry for kicking her stomach as hard as he did. She soothed him while walking back down the stairs to call her doctor. Most of her knew that the action wouldn’t affect the baby but she knew to be safe she had to go in just to make sure nothing was wrong. “I need to see Doctor Hill as soon as possible,”

“What is the reason?”

“My year and half old accidently kicked my stomach.” Eloise told the lady while James continued to cry.

“Okay, Doctor Hill said to come right in, so we’ll see you . . .”

“In about ten minutes?”

“Alright then Mrs. Haner,” Eloise hung up the phone and grabbed her purse and car keys. She quickly buckled James up who was still crying, though silently now. She bit her lip as she dialed Brian’s number knowing he should know.

“Hello?”

“I just thought I’d let you know I’m going to the doctors right now.” She told him as she drove towards the doctor office.

“Why, what’s wrong?” Brian asked panicking. He left the front of the bus and headed to the back, closing the door behind him. “Is James crying? Did something happen to him?”

“No, he was throwing a temper tantrum,” Brian quirked an eyebrow because he knew that was out of character for his step son. “So I decided to pick up and put him down for a nap. Well he was wiggling around and screaming. He ended up kicking me.” Brian felt a lump form in his throat.

“Are . . . What’s . . .”

“Bri it’ll be okay, I promise. James is crying because I talked with him last week about why mommy’s tummy was growing and showed him the ultra sound. So he’s just upset.” Eloise reassured him as she got out of the car and picked up James. She walked into the doctor’s office and was directed to go to the back to Doctor Hill’s office.

“Okay, call me when you’re done, alright?” Brian said quietly, the worst thoughts consuming him.

“I will,”

“. . . I love you,” He told her as he squeezed his eyes shut.

“I love you too Bri. I promise, everything will be fine.” Brian nodded and hung up the phone. He folded his hands together, resting his forehead against them, as he let out a shaky breath. He didn’t think about what he did next. He got down on his knees and prayed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you to all readers/subs (close to 300 O_O )/commenters
Love ya guys!