Status: Finished. No sequel.

Living On A Prayer

XXXV

Brian and his band mates made their way through the doors of their friend’s restaurant on Main Street. Their friend, as a wedding gift, let them have the restaurant for the night to hold their reception. All of the guys disbursed in the crowd, Brian took off looking for his wife. He saw the familiar strawberry blonde hair, talking towards the back with Nicole and Joel. Brian smiled as he approached them. He rested his hand on her lower back, letting them continue with their conversation.

“Gates, good to see you man!” Joel greeted doing their man hug. “El said you guys got stuck in traffic?”

“Yeah, some big tie up on the four oh five right after LAX.”

“At least you’re here now and congrats man, on the baby and everything.” Brian smiled and thanked him. He looked over at his wife’s growing belly. Brian was happy that nothing was wrong and their baby resumed its constant movement.

“Hey, where’s James?” Brian asked quietly as Nicole went off to talk with Val.

“Around here somewhere with my brother,” Eloise answered just as quiet. She looked over Brian’s appearance and saw that he was wearing a mask for everyone there. “When we get home, we’re talking.”

“Alright . . . do you need anything?” Eloise just shook her head. “Okay, I’m going to go see if I can find James.” He made his way through people until he spotted his brother in law sitting in one of the booths with James on his lap.

“Daddy!” James shouted as he spotted Brian walking towards him.

“There’s my little guy!” Brian picked him up, letting James squeeze his neck while he hugged him to his body.

“Miss you daddy,” James mumbled as he rested his head on Brian’s shoulder.

“I missed you too little guy.” Brian kissed his step son’s forehead then rested his head on his. White flashes were going off around him but Brian ignored them, knowing it was friends. James wouldn’t let Brian set him down or hand him off to anyone throughout the evening.

“I think someone really missed you,” Eloise said as she sat down next to Brian. She rested her head on his free shoulder and brushed some of James’ hair out of his face. “I missed you,”

“I missed you too babe.” Brian leaned down, capturing her lips, savoring the taste. “Are you ready to head out?”

“Yeah, James needs to be put down.” They got up and said their goodbyes to everyone. Matt and Zacky had loaded up the back of Brian’s car that Eloise had driven with the gifts. She put James in his car seat, smiling when he fell back asleep. Eloise sighed as she adjusted the seat belt as Brian drove them back home.

“Baby still active?” Brian asked as he glanced over to see Eloise rubbing her stomach.

“Mhm,”

Once they got to the house, Brian had Eloise just get James out of the back and ready for bed while he unloaded everything. He shifted everything in his arms as he walked into the house, trying to quietly shut the front door. Brian set the gifts on the formal dining room table. He went through his usually nightly routine that he did when he was home. Locked everything, made sure Pinkly was inside and set the alarm. Pinkly dashed up the stairs to where she usually slept as he walked into his room. Eloise was in the bathroom removing her makeup, already in her pajamas.

“So, how was tour?” Eloise asked as Brian changed into his pajama pants.

“Good, like normal.” He answered, crossing his arms over his chest as he leaned against the counter next to her. Eloise turned and looked at him, waiting for him to answer what she was really asking. “No, no drugs. I was actually chewed out and bitched at almost every single day.”

“Good, I’m proud of you.” Eloise gave him a kiss and pulled away smiling. She studied his face to see something was still off. “Honey, what’s wrong?” Brian just rested his hands on her belly, feeling the baby kick. “Brian . . .” Eloise mumbled as a tear came down Brian’s cheek. “Your eyeliners going to run,” He just shook his head and drew her body into his, holding her tightly. She stroked his head as he buried his face in her neck. “We’re okay Bri,” Eloise guided them into the bedroom and sat on the bed with him. “The baby is perfectly fine.”

“I know but . . .”

“I was scared too honey.” Eloise got up and grabbed a photo off their dresser and handed it to him. “There’s the ultrasound from that day. Our doctor said that the baby was just upset but James didn’t kick anywhere hard enough to do anything.” She told him as she stood in front of him. Brian just nodded and rested his head on her chest, his hands staying on her stomach.

“I just kept thinking about what if something bad happened and—”

“Baby, even if they had to do an emergency cesarean, the baby would still have a good chance of survival.” She reassured him. “And we’ll find out the sex tomorrow, aren’t you excited about that?”

“As long as it’s healthy.” Brian told her as they laid out on the bed. “I need to go visit Jimmy tomorrow,” He told her quietly as she curled against him.

“His birthday right?”

“Yep, would’ve been thirty one and kicking my ass.” Brian told her with a chuckle. She looked up at him confused. “He would’ve loved you and your son. He would’ve kicked my ass for being stupid as I was.”

“Him and I use to have conversations during P.E. freshman year. He always came to our church sometimes,” Brian frowned as Eloise continued to talk about things Jimmy would do at their church.

“That’s where he disappeared to on Sundays?”

“Yes, where else did you think he went to?”

“Having sex, doing drugs, or getting drunk . . .” He answered honestly. “Or playing drums.” Eloise just giggled. “You have work tomorrow after the appointment?”

“Yes, you should take James to meet Jimmy.” Brian smiled, kissing the top her head and rubbed soothing circles on her belly. He looked down to see Eloise had fallen asleep. He quietly slipped out of the bed and shut off all the lights. He went into James room and gently picked up the sleeping boy. Brian sat in the glider, smiling.

“You’re going to meet my best friend bud, then maybe we’ll go to the lawyers to see what it takes to make you mine.”
♠ ♠ ♠
thanks to all readers/subs/commenters
Love ya!

and I'm think I'm finally satisfied with the banner.