Status: Finished. No sequel.

Living On A Prayer

V

Sitting on the edge of his couch Brian set down the black book that read Huntington Beach High across it. Opening the book he went straight for the senior section of the book.

“Kent . . . Kent . . . Kent . . .” Brian’s eyebrows drew down as confusion swept over him. There wasn’t anyone by the last name Kent in the book. Taking a different approach Brian began looking for Eloise. “Ah . . . Eloise . . . Parker?” looking over the picture his eyebrows winged up.

“Bri! You here bro?” Zacky’s voice called out. Walking in Zacky took a seat next to Brian and looked over at the book. “Why are you looking at our senior year book?”

“Because of her.” Brian answered pointing at the picture of who he assumed was Eloise.

“The science geek? Jesus she was such a nerd in high school and a total Jesus lover.”

“You remember her?” He was surprised, High School wasn’t exactly Zacky’s favorite time.

“Yeah, she was in my P.E. classes. Surprisingly good at Volleyball though, she was on varsity.” Zacky and Brian looked through the book until they got to the club and sports section. “Why is there a picture of her and Val?”

“Hmm . . . maybe I should call Ma—Never mind they just pulled up.” Brian squinted as he watched Matt help Val out of the car even though she was barely showing. “Hey Matt, Val.”

“Hey guess Zee read our minds in coming over there.” Matt sat down in the recliner while Val wondered off into the kitchen.

“I went grocery shopping with Kenna yesterday Val!” Brian hollered knowing exactly what his soon to be former sister in law was doing.

“Just making sure. Oh the year book I haven’t looked at mine in awhile.” Val said as she sat down on Matt’s lap, his large hand resting on her small belly. “Oh my god! I forgot El and I had this picture taken!” Val took the book from the boys and looked through the book. “She’s such a sweetie and so pretty.”

“Is that who you went out to dinner with Friday night?” Matt asked leaning back into the chair.

“Wait, that’s where she was Friday? I had to take McKenna to her house so she could babysit her kid.”

“She has a kid?” Zacky asked as he looked at the picture of the strawberry blonde wearing thick framed glasses and braces.

“Yeah, he’s eight months old. Cutest little boy.” Val murmured feeling a small amount of guilt. “She is one of the most carrying people you could ever meet, even when kids in school would tease her she’s just smile say that one day they’d need her help.”

“Babe, you okay?” Matt asked noticing his wife’s eyes water up. He looked over at Zacky and Brian and mouthed “Hormones.”

“Yeah, I just feel so bad that she has to raise little James all alone.” Brian tilted his head trying to get what Val meant. He remembered all the pictures in Eloise house of her and another man, their wedding and of her just her and him.

“Alone?” All the guys voiced out.

“Yeah, a year ago, as of last Tuesday actually her husband died.” The guys sat there stunned into silence. “He was in the Marines. Been going overseas most of the time they were married, she was six months pregnant just found out they were having a boy.”

“I think I know how he died but . . . was it?” Zacky asked quietly.

“Yeah, his convoy hit a roadside bomb but she’s been really strong.” Val answered while Matt rubbed her back comfortingly.

“So, she doesn’t look like this anymore?” Zacky asked as he glanced back at her picture.

“No, her hair now is straight and to her shoulders instead of that curly mess and I’m guessing she got contacts and well those braces did their job.” Brian answered not noticing everyone in the room was giving him a smile.

“Syn’s got a crush, Syn’s got a crush.” Matt sung.

“Shut up . . .” Brian muttered ducking his head down.

Val let out an excited squeal clapping her hands together. “Oh Brian I can so hook you up with her!” Matt let out a snicker when he noticed his best friends wide eyed look.

“Uh Val no, it’s okay,”

“Oh please, you need to start dating again!” Brian just sat there looking at Val’s face that was sporting a pout. “You two would be perfect for each other!”

Brian just sat there with his head in his hands, his fingers knotting in his hair. “I don’t know Val it’s just—isn’t it too soon?”

Zacky and Matt glanced over at each other then back at Brian. “Look bro, I know you and Michelle are still in the process of a divorce but . . . she already has a boyfriend.” Zacky told him not wanting his best friend to end up in a rut.

“I know she does, I could care less, but—I don’t think I’m over what happened yet.” He mumbled not wanting to relieve the phone call he got on tour.

“I know it’s hard Bri. I had to help Michelle with it then she met Cody and he’s helped her a lot but Bri, you can’t let this rule your life.” Val told him as she stood up and made her way to him. Brian placed his hands on her barely there fourteen week stomach. “It’ll be alright,” Val comforted running her hand soothing through her distraught friends hair.

***

Eloise wiped down the kitchen table as she glanced over to the bouncer where James was giggling away. Hearing her cell phone go off, she sighed tossing the wet rag into the sink and grabbed her phone.

“Hello?”

“Hey El!” Eloise smiled as Val’s voice greeted her. “So, what are you up to?”

“I’m just cleaning up the kitchen then I need to give James a bath and then I have to put him to bed. Then finish grading papers then get some sleep before James wakes up at two thirty.” She could hear Val let out a laugh and then Matt in the back ground shouting at the TV. “Is he yelling at thirteen year olds again?”

“Uh huh . . . look there was a reason I called you.” Eloise frowned as she picked her son up and made her way to the bathroom. “Um what do you think of Brian?”

“Brian, as in Brian Haner Junior?” Eloise asked confused as she set James in the water.

“Yes, what other Brian’s do you know?”

“Um a couple. But why are you asking? Isn’t he married to your sister?” She flinched as James patted his hands on the water splashing her. “James, no.”

“Well, actually they’re going through a divorce right now.”

“Seriously?” Eloise asked surprised as she wrapped James in a towel. “And why are you asking what I think of him? I don’t really know him Val.”

“Well . . .” Val trailed off making Eloise roll her eyes.

“Not again Val.” She groaned as she dressed James and put him his crib handing him his pacifier. “I know you mean well but I don’t have time to date.”

“Come on El! You couldn’t ask for someone better then Brian!”

“Uh huh. I am Synyster Gates and I am awesome! I remember when he screamed that as I was walking home with my brother from church.” Eloise could hear Matt let out a laugh and telling Val to give up. “I love you Val but, I don’t think Brian and I mix well.”

“But he isn’t like—okay sometimes he is but he could really use someone like you!”

Eloise sighed as she sat down on the edge of her bed. “I’ll think about it alright?”

“Okay! This is so exciting. I’ll call you later!”

Eloise hung up and let out groan falling back onto her bed. She felt like she just made a deal to a blonde haired devil in heels.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to all readers/subscribers/commenters