Status: Finished. No sequel.

Living On A Prayer

VII

Brian sat at the restaurant table playing with the chop sticks he didn’t use. He was supposed to be listing to what his manager Larry was saying and the other guys. He knew that this meeting was important as relating to summer dates and maybe a music video. Feeling eyes on him, Brian looked up seeing everyone staring at him.

“Are you alright Brian?” Larry asked slightly worried about Brian’s behavior lately.

“Yeah, sorry just had something on my mind.”

“Okay, so what do you guys say to the show?” Larry asked. Brian cocked his head in confusion.

“What show?”

“Well if you’d been paying attention you would’ve heard that the LBC asked us to put a show on next Saturday.” Matt said shouting a glare towards his lead guitarist.

“Oh . . . okay then,” Brian mumbled slightly put off by his best friend’s behavior. Zacky and Johnny glanced between their band mates wondering what was going on.

“So, everyone agree?” Larry asked again. Getting nods Larry signed the check telling the band he’d call them with the information later. After Larry left, Zacky and Johnny turned to Matt and Brian for an explanation.

“Matt what’s up with the mood?” Johnny asked.

“Are Val’s mood swings affecting you that much?” Zacky added on.

Matt just rolled his eyes and looked over at Brian who had gone back to playing with the chopsticks. “I want to know what’s up with you Brian. Val had a good idea but she says you keeping telling her no.”

“I don’t need her help Matt.”

“Wait, what’s going on?” Johnny asked totally confused.

“So you’ve decided to just blow off her idea?” Matt asked. He was tired of his wife constantly going on about Brian and Eloise.

“No, I know what I’m going to do.”

“So you’re going to ask out Eloise?” Matt conformed with a dimpled smile.

“You’re gonna ask her!” Zacky exclaimed happy his friend was moving on.

“Who’s Eloise?” They all turned and looked at Johnny. The smaller man shrunk a little still confused. “What . . .?”

“Eloise Parker, is who Bri is going to ask out.” Zacky informed him.

“Seriously? She was a T.A. in my science class when I was a freshmen.” Johnny then looked over at Brian. “I’m guessing she looks different then she use to?”

“What’s that mean?” Brian asked slightly offended.

“Well . . . you never paid attention to Eloise in high school. Even though you guys a few classes together and the fact she babysat your sister.” Johnny explained remembering how Brian didn’t pay attention to Eloise in school. “You even dated a girl on her Volleyball team and went to the games.”

“Well, Eloise must’ve not played much.” Brian defended.

“No, she was captain.” Zacky corrected. Brian sat there deflated and feeling slightly guilty about that. “Oh and that chick you dated, uh Chelsea? Yeah she was Eloise best friend.”

“You know what, I’ll see you guys later.” Brian said getting up from his seat. His band mates stared after him as he left the restaurant. Brian took out a cigarette lighting it. Leaning against his car he took a drag as his named was called out. Looking up he frowned not recognizing the man in front of him. “Can I help you?”

“Are you Brian Haner?” Brian just nodded, taking in the guy standing in front of him. Sandy blonde hair, brown eyes, Brian knew he was looking at a surfer. “I’m Cody,”

“Ah,” He wanted nothing more than to get into his car and drive away. “So . . . what’d you want?”

“Uh, well,” Cody rubbed the back of his neck feeling awkward. “I just wanted to make sure that we were alright, you know since I’m—”

“Look, bro—” Brian dropped his cigarette smashing it with his foot. “I honestly don’t care if you’re with my ex. But let’s just make this clear, I still love her and always will but if you fuck with her in anyway and I find out you hurt her, I will kill you.” Cody visible gulped and gave Brian a small nod.

“Cody? Brian, what’s going on guys?” Michelle asked as she approached the two men. She looked over seeing Brian had his hands stuffed in his pants pockets, head down. “Um Cody why don’t you go put our name down, I just need to talk with Brian.”

“Yeah sure.”

Brian glanced up seeing his almost ex wife standing in front of him. “Hey Chelle.”

“How are you doing Bri? And please be honest.” Brian just shrugged shaking his head not really wanting to answer. “Bri . . .”

“Look I’ve got something I need to take care of,” Michelle just nodded realizing that Brian wasn’t healed as much as she way yet. “So, I’ll uh see you later. Or um we got a show next Saturday I guess at LBC I’m sure Val will tell you about it.” He just waved getting into his car, leaving the awkward atmosphere.

Driving the path he memorized, Brian pulled in front of the small one story house and let out a deep breath. “You can do this Bri, you’ve done it before you can do it again.” Getting out of the car, Brian stood in front of the house feeling like he was about to hand his heart over on a silver platter.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you to all readers/subscribers/commenters
and welcome to the 13 new subs!


love to know your thoughts.