Pantheon

Nyx et Hemera I

The Setting: Chaos, the Realm of Nothingness, an area of preparation for the Gods and Goddesses before they descend to the Mortal Realm for their daily tasks.

Persona:
-Nyx: The Greek Primordial Goddess of Night
-Hemera: The Greek Primordial Goddess of Day and the Sun


Nyx: How these mortals lament my arrival! They wail within my embrace as if I seek to whisper Doom into their ear; that is the task of Erebos and Tartarus, but not I! You, my Sister, are revered by almost all; how is this so?

Hemera: I could not tell you; you and I were created as a balance upon their terra; you nor I were intended to hold a greater sway over the other. This is simply the way of things. Have closure.

Nyx: Ha! Closure! How may I obtain that when I am thus perplexed? You are no more fair than I, nor more Beautiful, nor Powerful, and yet I am detested! I have my own share of Gifts which I so readily offer them, and they more often than not are wasted for want of their acceptance!

Hem.: Peace, Sister. Your grievances are just as poorly spent as your Gifts; this is the way things are, and they shall not change. There are those who eagerly await your presence, as you know. How you so easily dismiss them.

Nyx: Dismiss? There is no harm in that; it is the equivalent to one dismissing a handful of sand when they are in want of an island; the sand matters not. Those who follow me are the dregs of their kind, and they only follow me for want of cover, so they may enact their vile habits without fear of retribution.

Hem.: They do you proper honors. They worship your Daughters in their own way.

Nyx: Daughters? They are so lightly deemed so. Mere stationary things of beauty. They hold little sway over the course of things.

Hem.: Not all of us may be of Gaia's stature, nor or Uranus'/ We each have our station assigned to us. You govern Night, and I Day. These things are not so different, separated only by varying amounts of light.

Nyx: You may say that, for you hold Dominion over the lively and vivacious Creatures of the Light, the things that run and frolic and hold celebration; your Kingdom is one that thrives. Mine is one that asks for Silence, and only wishes for a stillness of things. How well would you uphold your Duties were you in my position?

Hem.: That is not something which I think about.

Nyx: And why not? Are you so swollen with pride over your reign that you do not bother yourself with the 'trivialities' of Wandering Thoughts?

Hem.: No, my reasons are not so crude as you hope; the Duty of contemplation is left to those such as Epimetheus and Metis; Thought is their offspring, not mine.

Nyx: You are so easily resigned to only extend your reach to the end of your Day?

Hem.: That is my Duty. Why should I bother to strive for more?

Nyx: Maybe I am not so unlucky if what you say is true.

Hem.: What do you mean by your words?

Nyx: I only mean to say that, unlike you, I have the desire to rule over whatever realms I may.

Hem.: I do not know why you bother; there are Duties assigned to--

Nyx: Yes, yes, to each of us our own Duties; but, if you but pause a moment to truly consider your own words, I am sure you would see how each of us manages to invade the other's Duty.

Hem.: What say you?

Nyx: For instance, my Domain is Night, and yours, Day. However, my offspring, Sleep, prepares those below for your coming; they would not remain to greet you were it not for my aid. They would not have the stamina to await your coming, nor would they take part in the tasks of your Offspring.

Hem.: Cease this play! You speak dangerous words, Sister.

Nyx.: Dangerous? Why? Because they infringe upon the Rule which you thought was your own?

Hem.: Chaos did not harbor us with the intention of letting our tongues run rampant; we are expected to follow Order and Obligation--

Nyx: Is that not the 'duty' of some other Brother or Sister?

Hem.: Do not test me.

Nyx: Why? As you have said, neither you nor I hold more sway or power over the other; we are a negating pair.

Hem.: I take my leave of you; it is time for me to fulfill my Duty. Prepare yourself for your Vigil of Loneliness.

Nyx: Only if you have prepared yourself to be denied your followers whom I have not allowed into your Domain this day, as I have the Power to do.

[ Hemera exits ]