Enchanted

Confessions

The next few days went by in a blur for Alex. It seemed as though ever since they had become aware of this new impending threat, everyone’s lives had suddenly become rushed and careful in their movements. As they informed Kingsley, and the rest of the order of Demetria and the prophecy, they also had to figure out what they were going to do. One afternoon, nearly a week after James and Lily had spoken to the family, Charlie and Alex were still staying at Shell Cottage. The afternoon was fading when Bill looked out the small kitchen window, and saw the young woman walking along the snow-covered beach.

“I know you are there, Bill.”

He walked up behind her and sighed. “I didn’t make any noise!”

She smirked. “I can always tell.”

She was silent again and he wondered what she was thinking. Ever since she had arrived at his and Fleur’s house, she looked as thought she was keeping something in. Knowing her all too well, he was certain that something was bothering her.

“Talk to me.” he whispered against the crashing, near-frozen waves.

Her steps slowed to a stop, and although she wasn’t facing him, he knew that she had her eyes closed, pushing whatever thoughts she had father from her mind.

“There is nothing to say, Bill.” she said in a steady voice, but he could see right through it. “Honestly.”

He wasn’t convinced, and walked forward so he was blocking her path. “Yes there is. I can see it in every move you make. You can fool Fleur, and I have no clue how, but you have fooled Charlie. But you know that there is no bloody way to fool me, Alexandra.”

Her eyes, filled with anger, flashed up at him. “Don’t. Call. Me. That.”

His face never flinched, or lost it’s stern look. “I will call you that, Alexandra, until you tell me what is going on inside your thick head!”

His voice got louder in mid-sentence, and she stared at him, her walls suddenly falling down around her. Although she had barely winced during this time, he could almost see her carefully built barriers crumbling, and crashing to the snow-covered sand beneath her. Then, as if someone had punched her, she grabbed her stomach and fell to the ground, tears pouring down her face.

Bill dropped down next to her and pulled her close. Pressing her face into his shoulder, he kissed the top of her head. “Alex you’re my best friend. Please tell me how I can help you. It breaks my heart to see you in pain and you are one of the most important people in my life. Without you…well things would be different.”

She sniffled, and pushed away from him. A few tears still fell down her face and she left them there. “Everything was too good to be true.”

He looked at her, quizzically. “How so?”

She sniffled and licked the stray tear that had fallen onto her lips. “My parents…they can’t stay. They only came back to help with Demetria.”

Bill watched her, trying to keep the shock and surprise off of his face. “When did they tell you this?”

“That night at the Leaky Cauldron. Just before we came home.” She paused. “I have gone my whole life without parents, Bill. I was finally starting to think that my life was possibly making sense…that everything was going to turn out alright. But of course, something must happen to ruin it.”

He watched her expressions, waiting for the right moment to speak. When she sighed, he waited for her to continue.”

“I feel like…nothing in my life will ever be good again. I can’t stand this nasty feeling that my life is cursed, somehow. Like…I will never truly be able to be happy again. And I hate myself for dragging Charlie, and your family, into this. I sometimes wonder…why I even have my life at all.”

“First of all, stop. That is all rubbish. Alexandra Lillian Potter, I want you to listen and not speak while I tell you these next few things.” he put his hands on her forearms and stared into her watery eyes. “This is a terrible outcome, yes. These new threats are horrid and while it brings us back into a short period of fear and danger, no one blames you for it. Losing your parents again, after just getting them back…it’s a terrible thing. And no matter when they go, or what happens, I will always be by your side to help you and so will Charlie and your brother.

“As for your life, if I had never met you, there would be a great hole in my life. My family is not concerned that you are dragging us into anything, because you are not. None of this is your fault. You will be happy as soon as all of this is over. The minute this ends, you will have your happy life back and you will marry my brother and everything will be okay again. But you have to understand that there are people here, who love you and will help you through this. Charlie is head over heels for you and he worries about your every move. He is terrified that something will happen. He won’t let it. And he isn’t the only one.

“I love you. You really are my best friend and you have gotten me through some of the biggest things in my life. Now it is my turn to get you through this. Please do not lose faith in yourself.”

After he finished talking, he watched her face carefully. He knew that while she was a strong woman, her emotions were fragile in some moments. All she could do was stare back at him.

After many moments, she blinked--her first movement since her breakdown. She leaned forward and kissed his cheek. Standing, she walked quickly away from him towards the house. When she entered, she ignored Fleur’s suggestion of food, and walked directly upstairs. Walking into the room, she saw Charlie at a desk in the corner.

When he heard the door fly open, it surprised him, and he jumped out of his chair. Before he could turn he felt two thin arms slide around him. He grabbed Alex’s hands, and felt her rest her head into his back. After a few minutes, he grabbed her hands and pulled them up to his face, kissing them. Slowly, he turned to face her and saw that she had silent tears falling down her cheeks.

She looked up into his eyes, searching for some kind of hope; some kind of reassurance. “Hold me.”

He kissed her forehead gently, and pulled her close, holding her and planning on never letting go.