Enchanted

Reaction

Alex stared out the kitchen window at Charlie, who stood in the semi-frozen garden outside of the Burrow, staring at the fields. She felt bad about what she did and even 24 hours later, he had still not spoken to her about it. After helping Molly put the finishing touches on dinner, she slowly walked outside and wrapped her arms around him.

“I’m sorry.”

He didn’t speak, so she continued. “Charlie it was a stupid decision. I shouldn’t have gone without anybody’s help. I know that.”

“Then why did you?” His tone was harsh.

She winced slightly and sighed. “Because I couldn’t bare for us to lose anyone again. We just got them back.”

He turned to face her, his eyes angry. “And what if we had lost you? What would have happened then?”

She stared at him. “What?”

“What are you not understand about what Bill and I have been saying? You are so afraid of losing anyone again that you forget about what would happen if we lost you. I couldn’t bare it, Alex! If you had been killed, I wouldn’t know how to go on. You are my entire life. And we wouldn’t be able to bring you back at all! You are so important to us…to me.”

She watched as tears fell down his face. “You have no idea how scared I was when I woke up and you were nowhere to be found! For such along time we couldn’t figure out where you were! If we hadn’t figured it out…you would probably be dead right now! Do you get that?”

“Yes! I am sorry that I am stupid for going alone. I couldn’t let you guys die. I had a nightmare and there she was. I knew where to find her and I knew that I had to stop her. I should have stopped to think about what would happen if I went alone, but the only thing I could imagine at the time was what would happen if I didn’t go right then. We could have lost people, Charlie. Thank Merlin we didn’t.”

It was true. This battle wasn’t nearly as large as the war at Hogwarts a few months beforehand, and luckily they did not lose anyone on their side. Many Death Eaters were perished, but many of them also ran away once they realized that they were being overpowered.

Charlie sighed and pulled her to him. “I need you to understand how scared I was. I thought for sure I was going to lose you. It would have been horrible.”

She shuddered at the thought of Charlie alone, worried that he would focus too hard on the dragons and never marry or have children. “I do…now. I was stupid and should have thought but I didn’t. I can’t change that now, Charlie.”

They were silent for a few minutes, holding each other, before she spoke again. “How did you all find me anyway?”

He sighed. “After we figured out that you had gone, we had to do some quick thinking. It was actually Ginny and Hermione who figured it out. They remembered that the room with all the prophecies had been where Voledmort had cornered Harry last and once we realized that the room was now empty, and you were so hung up on the prophecy, as was Demetria, we knew where you’d be. I am just so glad we got there when we did.”

She nodded into his chest. “I realized just before you arrived that even if I did successfully kill her on my own, I would be in trouble with those damn Death Eaters. I thank Merlin you showed up when you did.”

He kissed her forehead. “But now that this is over, we can finally get back to what is important?”

She looked up at him. “Oh? And what is that?”

He smirked for the first time since arriving back home. “Our wedding.”

She thought for a moment and smiled. “Hey Charlie? I have a weird request…”

He cocked his head. “What is it?”

She grinned even bigger. “Let’s get married here…in three days.”

He paused. “What?”

She nodded quickly. “When we go back to Romania, we will officially be married. That way everyone will be here…” She trailed off and he knew what she was thinking.

Smiling, he kissed her. “I like this idea.” he hesitated. “Now we just have to tell Mum…”

Five minutes later there was shouting from the kitchen. “Three days?! How can you possibly drop this on me now?! Are you both mental?!”