Ambushed Love

Just Another Morning

There was a calming glow that shone through the window curtains that morning – just like any other. The room was tidy, not sparkly clean, but homely nonetheless. Nothing was able to deny the fact that the two people that occupied the bed within loved each other more than they thought possible. It was just another morning.

The occupants of the room’s fortress were tangled together in a mess of sheets, sleeping peacefully while the rest of the world continued to move outside. Not a muscle stirred; so firmly were their arms wrapped around one another’s waists.

It was the female who awoke first. Her long blonde hair, usually flawless, was tousled from the previous night, while her eye makeup remained smudged, having not been removed beforehand. She yawned, revealing perfectly straight white teeth, her soft brown eyes squinting uncomfortably to read the time.

“Mike…” she murmured, repositioning herself so she was in better view of her partner. She tapped his nose affectionately, trying to awaken him from his deep sleep.

He groaned, stretching out his long legs yet keeping his eyes firmly closed. “What time is it?” he mumbled incoherently, his deep voice croaky.

She smiled, tucking one of the many strays of hair behind her ear and nestling into Mike’s chest. “Late enough,” she murmured, drawing circles with her finger against his singlet. She knew that if she could she would stay by his side forever – yet it just couldn’t happen. Not while he was in a band, anyway.

“How long until you go on tour?” she asked reluctantly, keeping her voice quiet. She desperately didn’t want to hear the answer. The thought of having to remain home alone in her partner’s big house frightened her.

He sighed, filling the short silence that followed with gentle strokes of his girlfriend’s soft locks. “I don’t know… soon,” he answered in an un-committed voice. He pressed his lips against her forehead, pausing for thought.

“… Mike?” His girlfriend’s voice was uncertain. She wanted a straight answer, rather than for him to avoid giving it to her again. Brittney sat up, readjusting herself so she was properly facing her boyfriend. She let her gentle brown eyes meet his vivid blues, not letting Mike redirect his gaze away.

He sighed again, taking his time to empty the air from his lungs. “It’s… soon,” he repeated, yet upon receiving an annoyed look from his girlfriend he continued. “A – a month.”

“A month?!” she exclaimed, trying to ignore the mixed feeling of annoyance and possessiveness that pressed against her conscience. She knew it was wrong to feel like he was solely hers – but she also knew how longs tours went for.

His eyebrows folded together in sincere concern while his clear blue eyes remained gentle. He too, sat up, not moving his strong gaze away from her face. “Britt, you knew it was going to happen soon.” He leant forward and planted a small kiss on her lips. “Believe me, I’d rather stay here,” he murmured as an after-thought.

She felt slightly ashamed at having made a fuss over something that was inevitable. It would be hard for her partner to be on the road, harder than for her to stay at home alone.

“Look, before you know it, I’ll be back home again,” he said softly, holding back a small smile. “Back to normal, and you’ll have me all to yourself.”

She grinned at the thought. The thought of having Mike back to herself, away from the media and away from thousands of fans was enough to encourage her to persevere with the inevitable loneliness she would feel while he was away. Still smiling, she tugged at the hem of his singlet, swinging her long legs over the edge of the bed. “You still can’t be late for band practice.”

He groaned, reluctantly following her lead. “I could always just not go.”

“And have Billie kick your ass so close to tour?” she replied slyly, making her way to the door of their ensuite bathroom.

“Pfft, Billie couldn’t kick my ass.” The blue-eyed bassist grabbed a pair of nearby trousers and pulled them on slowly. “I could take him on any day.” Smiling absently, he buttoned on a shirt and made his way downstairs for his regular morning coffee. The coffee machine was always out on the kitchen bench, having always been in regular demand.

Brittney soon joined him, wrapping an arm around his waist and nestling into his side while he busily made himself a coffee. “Any chance of making me one too?” she asked with a small smile.

He raised an eyebrow. “Let me see… no.” He grinned, picking up his coffee and moving away from his girlfriend. “Have fun making your coffee…”

“Mike!” she pouted, giving a mock evil glare in his direction. “You’re just not fair.”

“Nah, I’m just in a hurry.” He moved back towards her, giving her a quick kiss on the cheek. “I’d better head off, before Billie does kick my ass.” His face became more serious. “We’ll go out for dinner tonight, okay? Just the two of us.”

Brittney smiled. “I’d like that.”

“Anyway – I really must be off now.” He kissed her again, this time on the lips. “See you later!” Mike grabbed his bass by the front door and headed outside to where his car was parked. His girlfriend watched him drive out the driveway from the front window, giving a sad sigh while realizing that this was how it would be in a month’s time.

She turned back to face the interior of a now eerily-quiet house. Yet the peace was not to last forever…