‹ Prequel: Don't Give up on Me
Status: Active(:

Unsaid Things

Meet Lilly

“Lilly, baby, come to mummy!” I encouraged, holding out at my arms as I crouched to the floor. She flung her arms up and giggled with some spit, before she pulled herself to her feet and attempted to walk. She made a few steps before she just stood there, staring at me. She held her hands out, creating a fist before retracting her fingers, and then creating a fist again. She wanted to be held. “Keep going!” I tried, and she let out a loud giggle before she flung forward again, smoothly walking toward me. She nearly fell twice but she got to me none the less, flinging herself into my arms. “Good girl!” I grinned, hugging her close to me. I picked her up, placing her in her carriage and she giggled.
“Mummy!” she giggled, throwing her hands up as I held up her stuffed animal. “Mummyaa!” she dragged the word out, making a pouty face as she struggled to reach the toy. I handed it to her and she let out a loud laugh, cuddling it close to her as she grinned.
“You little weasel!” I teased, causing her to giggle again. ‘Mummy’ was the only word she knew, so far, and it made me smile every time I heard it. Finally, at 14 months old, she was communicating with me. “Ready to go to Aunty Rachel’s?” I asked, grabbing our duffel bags and tossing them over my shoulder, placing my hand on her cheek. The last time I had seen Rachel was the day I gave birth to little Lilly. She didn’t stay for long, considering she had to get home and get back to work. We’ve talked on the phone a lot, but never once had she visited. Finally, I decided to take matters into my own hands and visit her.
“Niccy?” I heard a voice behind me, causing me to turn in shock. Damien was leaning against our doorframe in our little house, that was situated in between two others; literally. “Where are you going?” he asked, as if I were leaving forever. I had told him a few days before that me and Lilly were visiting Rachel for a few weeks, I guess he had just forgot.
“Rachel’s. I told you last week. She wants to see Lilly, so I’m staying over there for 3 weeks. I’ll be back before you even notice that I’m gone.” I nodded, pushing Lilly’s carriage through to our kitchen, before I made my way toward the front door.
“Oh. Okay. Love you, call me sometime so I can make sure you’re safe.” He nodded, pecking me on the lips. I smiled softly, nodding my head at him as I pulled on my shoes. He had been the most amazing man in the entire world since Lilly was born and I couldn’t help but be thankful. But something bothered me. Whenever he tells me he loves me, he always looks away. But I don’t understand because…just a month ago, he asked me to marry him.
“Got it. Love you too. Don’t have too much fun without us.” I chuckled, pecking his lips once more before I made my way toward my blue Subaru, placing our bags in the trunk and the baby seat right behind mine. The ride toward Rachel’s was silent, Lilly mumbling coherent words to herself as she played with her old, stuffed bear. I watched her through the mirror, smiling softly as she gargled and blew bubbles off of her tongue, before she would laugh and clap her hands before doing it all over again. “Look, Lilly. We’re at Aunty Rachel’s!” I announced, pulling up to the same house I had spent 6 months living in. I parked and shut off the engine before taking a deep breath.
“Mummy!” Lilly called, playing with her bear as she cried softly. I pulled open her door, unbuckled her and placing her in my arms; rocking her back and forth to sooth her. She hated car rides, and she also hated being in new places. All she wants to do if stay home forever and just play with her stuffed bear. I heart Rachel’s front door open, causing me to turn around with a grin. Lilly’s crying subsided as she stared over at Rachel, eyes large in wonder.
“Come meet little Lilly.” I said, causing Rachel to run over in excitement. She held her arms out as quickly as she had shown up and I laughed, handing my baby over. Lilly looked up at Rachel with her wondering green eyes, opened as wide as they could be. She brought a hand up and touched Rachel’s nose, before letting out a loud giggle.
“She is so amazing, Niccy.” Rachel whispered, causing me to smile softly with a nod. I grabbed the bags out of the trunk before following Rachel into her house, dropping my bag at the stairs and falling onto the couch with a sigh. “You, in no way, shape, or form, look like you were ever pregnant.” Rachel commented, causing me to laugh. She took a seat beside me, rocking Lilly back and forth as she hummed a soft melody.
“I know. I love it.” I chuckled, sitting up and letting out a sigh. “You have no idea how stressful it is to take care of a baby.” I muttered, placing my head on the back of the couch. “I practically do everything myself because I do not trust Damien at all. Once, I went to my car to get my bag, and when I got back, Lilly was screaming and Damien just left her on the floor. He’s a real idiot.” I muttered with a chuckle, causing Rachel to laugh.
“I understand.” She nodded, rocking Lilly back and forth. The pure excitement on Lilly’s features slowly began to disappear as she slipped in and out of sleep. I smile softly, running a hand through her curly brunette curls. “Whoa. Care to explain that?” she asked, amazed, as she pointed at my ring finger. I smile softly, admiring it from afar.
“He proposed.” I whispered, smiling at Lilly with amazement. “I wanted to say no, because it was just a few months ago, but I couldn’t bring myself to it. We don’t know when it’ll be, but I just know it’ll be in a few years.” I nodded, turning to Rachel with a soft smile. Rachel looked confused.
“You were going to say no?” she whispered, now that Lilly was dead asleep. I nodded slowly, looking down with a sigh.
“Well, I mean…I love him, I guess. But I’m only 19…I can’t get married already.” I whispered, causing Rachel to nod slowly. I turned to Lilly as she made noises in her sleep, hugging her bear tightly in her grasp. “But something told me to just say yes…and so I did. I don’t necessarily regret it.” I concluded, turning to Rachel. “I just think I jumped into it too fast.”