Saints and Sinners

November 22, 2012

November 22, 2012.

Caroline paces restlessly on the wood floor, bright blond hair flying around her hair in an unruly mess. It’s a state that Damon doesn’t often see her in. while she works out some inner battle, he chats with the level-headed wolf beside him.

“So you guys are leaving?”

“Yeah, the first shuttles start tomorrow.” Tyler replies, his eyes drifting towards Caroline.

“And you’re positive you’re leaving tomorrow?”

“Yes, Damon we’re leaving.” Caroline snaps, and suddenly she’s before him with his shirt clenched in her fist.

He blinks slowly, glances at her hand then back to her face. Almost immediately Caroline backs away, muttering half sincere apologies. The guys watch her run her hands through her hair, watch her take unneeded deep breaths. When Damon is satisfied that she’s finally calmed down he stands to leave.

“Damon, wait.” Caroline catches up with him in the hallway, shoves him against the wall.

Deciding to take it rather than leave it, he captures her mouth with his and runs his hands through her hair. For a moment, she gives in and kisses back. But it doesn’t take long for her to regain her composure and pull away.

“Oh come on Barbie, we’re just having a little end of the world party.” He says with a wicked gleam in his eyes.

“I didn’t follow you so you could grope me,” She snaps, her eyes narrowed. “I need to tell you something really important.”

Damon sighs, glances at his wrist as if he were wearing a watch. Footsteps approach from the living room, and Caroline frantically pulls him inside the kitchen. He notices the dirty dishes lying in the sink, the overflowing trash. A putrid scent makes its home inside his nostrils.

“Get on with it, Caroline.” His voice is tired, bored and Caroline flinches at his disinterested tone.

“You have to take care of Elena, you’re all she’ll have left. You have to take care of her and you have to love her like you know what love is.” She pleads, tears watering her eyelashes like starved plants. “Now go, get out of here.”

He embraces her quickly before dashing out of the house, rushing towards Elena’s. He notices Jenna and Alaric’s cars backed into the driveway, their trunks open and bags waiting on the lawn. Furrowing his brows, he hurries inside and finds Elena staring blankly out the front door with rivers of tears running down her hollow cheeks.

“Elena,” he breathes, and she snaps. Sobs shake her body, released by a broken dam; a dam that was broken by Damon whispering her name.

Startled, he glances around and notices the absence of people. But as soon as he goes to cradle her in his arms, Stefan rushes down from upstairs and Damon watches as Elena buries her face into his younger brother’s shoulder. The brother himself eyes Damon with unease until Damon backs away, his hands up in surrender.

As he heads home he can’t help but wonder what Caroline meant by him being the only one that Elena will have left. Stefan is always and will always be beside the brown haired girl.