Sequel: Dare To Have A Doubt

You having fun there Cas?

Come Round Soon

Bobby sighed as he set the phone down. The boys had just phoned asking for his help, he was just worried about leaving Sunny on her own. Especially as she was scared for the boys, and because Lilly was downstairs. Sunny still hadn’t spoke to her, the main reason being that Dean wouldn’t let her, the other being she was just too scared. “Sunny” he shouted on the brunette, who quickly hurried into the study room.

“Yeah?” she asked leaning her side onto the doorframe.

“The boys need my help, do you think you’ll be ok by yourself for a couple of days?” Sunny just nodded, her face blank. “You sure?”

“I’ll be fine Bobby” she smiled at him before exciting the room. Bobby sighed and closed over the book he had been reading before Dean had called and got to his feet, he followed after the woman and found her sat at the kitchen table with a half empty mug between her hands “do you want something to eat before you leave?” she quickly got to her feet and began rushing around the kitchen grabbing food for him.

“Sunny, stop” he grabbed her arm making her stop, the cup fell to the floor smashing and sending coffee and sharp shards in all directions

“What Bobby? This is the first time they’ve called in months and it’s for help, am I supposed to be happy at the fact they need you?” she let out a heavy sigh as Bobby dropped her arm letting her drop to the floor where she began picking up the pieces “you said it yourself that they’re two of the best hunters you’ve ever known, plus they have Cass…and they only call on you when things…when things are really bad”

“Things aren’t bad…they just need an extra hand getting the final ring…more hands means less time, Cass is nearly out of his angel mojo-”

“Oh well that just makes everything so much better doesn’t it?” Sunny snapped, suddenly she let out a loud hiss of pain and stuck her bleeding thumb into her mouth “great, now I’m bleeding” she got to her feet and moved to the sink quickly to run a cold tap over it “will I be okay here on my own? What about…y’know…feeding Lilly?”

Bobby let out a low sigh as he sat down in one of the kitchen chairs, at his silence Sunny turned to look at him with wide eyes “Bobby?…How am I going to get her food…I can’t let her starve Bobby!” she whispered harshly “I know what she did and I know it was wrong but she’s still a human…I can’t leave her for days without food”

“Sunny I understand that but do you think you can do it? I mean you haven’t spoken to her since before…well you know” he shrugged slightly and scrunched his hand into a fist on the counter top “I don’t like the idea of leaving you here alone but I can’t take you with me Sunshine, it’s safer here than out there” he got to his feet again and cleared his throat “I’m going to pack a few supplies for the trip, guns and the like” softly he wrapped a hand around each of Sunny’s wrists and pulled her towards him so he could place a sweet, if slightly awkward, kiss on her forehead “everyone’s going to be alright, you need to have some faith in us”.

Sunny watched with a sad expression as Bobby made his way into his study and began packing things into a small duffel bag, she didn’t want to be left alone, she didn’t want to stay in Bobby’s big, old, creepy, blood stained, probably being watched by all sorts of monsters including Michael and Lucifer house all alone. She was the type of woman that needed company but at the same time the trust Bobby was showing her made her want to stay, the old man trusted her not to run off and find away back to Arizona, plus he put up with her living at his house ninety percent of the time, she owed him to stay put.

“Alright sweetheart, that’s me ready to go” he dropped his bag and accepted her tight hug “keep yourself safe, iron for ghosts, silver for everything else” he let go of her and pushed her back slightly before picking the duffel up again “alright, I’ve told other hunters I won’t be around so you shouldn’t get any calls on any of the other phones, we’re just a phone call away, if you need us we’ll come help you”

“Okay” Sunny nodded with watery eyes “tell the guys I said hey, tell Cass I miss him” he nodded then backed away from her and made his way through the house. Sunny followed him but stopped in the door frame watching as he loaded up his old truck then climbed into the drivers seat, he sent her a wave that she returned before the truck was brought to life and made its way out of Singers Scrap Yard.

Closing the front door over again Sunny was suddenly aware of just how quiet the house was, she moved quickly into the study where a small TV sat and switched it on, she couldn’t shake the uneasiness that was washing over her body no matter how many times she shifted in her seat. Finally when she got comfortable there was a quiet banging, she froze, a list of a million things that it could be ran through her mind only stopping when she heard the quiet call of

“Bobby? Bobby I’m really hungry, can I eat now?”

Sunny got to her feet and crossed the room but stopped in the doorway, she chewed on her cardigan sleeve as she stared down the empty hallway “Bobby, seriously, I’m hungry” Sunny took a step forward but quickly moved back again, she knew she was supposed to ignore her but the quiet voice that called was the same voice she had known for ten years.

Cautiously she made her way down the hall, she stopped at the door and reached out for the handle, she stopped herself before grabbing it and tugging it open “oh thank god, hey, hi” Lilly was surprisingly friendly considering the way she was being treated, Sunny made her way down the stairs and dodged the clutter on the basement floor to stop in front of the huge iron bunker Bobby had made on a rare day off “Bobby?”

“Bobby’s not here, it’s uh…it’s just me” Sunny informed her quietly, there was a moment of awkward silence and a thick tension in the air

“Hey Sunny” Lilly was quiet “how are you?”

“I’m…yeah….yeah” she couldn’t even think of a way to respond, it hurt to think that at one point the other woman had been her best friend, they had shared everything together but now she felt like a stranger “I forgot to bring you some food, sorry, I can go get it now” she felt herself get flustered as she turned for the stairs

“WAIT! Sunny wait!” Sunny stopped and turned her head.

“Why?” she asked quietly “no” she shook her head “I’m going to go get your lunch, just sit tight” she headed for the stairs again but stopped with her foot on the bottom step, Lilly was still calling on her and each call was breaking down the wall

“I just want to talk to you, I know you must hate me and I know how much everyone else hates me but they never gave me the chance to explain myself, I never got the chance to tell everyone, tell you, why I did it. All I have in here is time to think and all I‘ve done is think about how I stabbed you in the back, please…just hear me out, just once”

“Why should I?” Sunny tried to remain strong, she knew Bobby was going to mad that she’d even gone down to the basement, he’d probably be even angrier if he came back and found her sitting chatting to Lilly like nothing had happened

“Because I want to apologise to you, we‘ve been friends for so long Sunshine and I just fucked you over like it was nothing, I need to say my piece to you so you know it wasn‘t my intentions for you to get hurt”

“I…I don‘t know Lilly” Sunny shook her head again before glancing at the iron door and away again, in her heart she knew that Lilly had already won but her brain was demanding she walked away, that she walked away and left the bitch to rot in her iron prison without a single friend in the world.

“Please Sunny?” her voice was soft as she called one last time “if you really, really don’t want to talk to me then fine just walk away and leave me down here but if there’s even one little bit of you that misses us being best friends then please, please just sit for two minutes”

Sunny slowly made her way towards the door, grabbing a chair and dragging it behind her as she went “oh, thank you so much Sunny, thank you”. She stopped in front of the door and dropped down into the chair, staring up at it with a stern look, she didn’t really know what Lilly could say that would ever make what happened okay.

“I’m listening”

“I…I knew about Sam being Lucifer’s vessel, Lucifer himself had appeared to me and he asked me where you were, that you were a key role in getting Sam to say yes and that he wanted you, he wanted to recruit you…I told him that I couldn’t tell him, that I wouldn’t…” she began hiccupping letting Sunny know that the woman was in tears “he said he was going to rip my skin off bit by bit and pour salt in the wounds and that at the end of every day he’d put me back together and do it all over again until I told him…so I did it, I told him where you were” Sunny scoffed loudly, she wanted to leave, she didn’t want to hear this story anymore “but- but the angels were after you too, I figured if I told Zachariah where you were the angels and demons would find you at the same time and cancel each other out…I didn’t think either of them would get you or hurt you, I didn’t mean any of it, I’m so sorry, you have to believe me please” the sound of heavy tears filled the basement making Sunny’s heart hurt.

Slowly the woman got to her feet and wrapped her fingers around the door lock, she paused briefly, wondering if what she was doing was the right thing but she still spun the lock opening the door. There was a moment where nothing happened before the door was pulled open slowly, revealing Lilly in the doorway, her hair in an untidy bun and her face stripped of make up, her eyes were red from crying but there was a slightly disbelieving look across her face “you believe me?” she sniffed quietly

“You’ve been my best friend for ten years, of course I do” Sunny cried softly before the women hugged tightly, they swayed slightly as Lilly continued to apologise and Sunny continued to tell her everything was okay, that when the boys got home she would explain everything and things could go back to being as normal as was possible in their world. They broke apart after a few minutes and wiped at their tear stained cheeks “lets go upstairs” they held hands as they made they made their way towards the stairs “I’ll make us something nice”.

Suddenly a ripping pain tore through Sunny’s skull, she dropped Lilly’s hand and grabbed her head. Quickly she fell onto her knees and held her hands out in front of her, staring at her blood covered skin “Lilly?” she asked slowly as she looked up to the other woman who was walking around her, she spotted the bloody hammer in Lilly’s hands before looking down to her own again

“You’re so fucking gullible Sunshine” Lilly laughed nastily “a couple of tears and a I’m so sorry and you’re a puddle of mud, enjoy you’re last few hours because you’re probably going to die down here” Lilly looked around and pulled a face “how unfortunate, anyway, I’m leaving, can’t risk being hunted down can I?”

“Lilly, Lilly wait, don’t do this” there was a moment of hesitation before the hammer was raised and brought down again with a dull thud. Sunny could just make out Lilly dropping the hammer and running up the stairs, she gripped her head again trying to stop the blood from running into her eyes making her blurry vision worse. She began coughing blood onto the basement floor as she crumpled slightly, both hands flat on the ground as she desperately tried to drag herself towards the steps, as she crawled her phone fell from her pocket and clattered on the ground.

She grabbed the phone in her shaky hands and found Bobby’s name in her phone book, it rang loudly for a minute before going to voicemail. The phone was thrown at the wall as she began to cry quietly, she shuffled towards the steps again only to be overcome by dizziness forcing her onto the floor. Her eyes closed over and there was nothing.

&&

“Is she going to be alright? We need to head out soon” Dean Winchester’s attempt at a low whisper was the first thing Sunny heard as she came back into consciousness “you guys could just stay here Bobby, me and Sammy’ll be alright and we got Cass”

“Some help I’m going to be” Castiel was the next voice she heard “I’ve got no powers, it’s the day of reckoning and I’m useless” Sunny rolled onto her back and let out a soft sigh “she’s waking up” she heard chairs scrape back across the wooden floors then opened her eyes, she blinked a few times before pushing herself slowly into a seated position. The room was still spinning slightly and there was a constant thumping pain inside her skull but she was alive, at least she had that to be thankful for.

The men were scattered out around the room, Sam, Dean and Bobby sat around the desk staring at her and Castiel sat on a pile of books with an unhappy look across his face but staring at her none the less. She looked between them before getting onto her feet shakily and moved towards the desk, hugging each of them tightly when she reached them

“I’m glad you guys are alive” she whispered quietly trying to ignore the elephant in the room, the elephant being Lilly and the fact that she was gone. A soft cough from across the room caught her attention and she turned to stare at Castiel, she crossed the room towards him and wrapped her arms around his neck, tugging him down from the books. They stood in an embrace for a few minutes before a throat being cleared broke them apart, they kept each others gazes as they held hands.

“As touching as this is we’ve still got a nut job on the run that could easily get all of us killed and an apocalypse to stop” Dean let out a quiet sigh and sat his hands on his waist as he glanced around the room “this might be the last time we’re ever stood in this room” he let out a small, worried smile “I’m just trying to put the fear into you guys” behind him there was a thud that everyone turned to stare at.

In front of Bobby on his desk sat a camera that Sunny figured hadn’t seen the light of day in years.

“Everybody get in” he muttered in a gruff voice, he began pressing buttons as everyone moved into the centre of the room. Castiel on the end with his fingers wrapped around Sunny’s, next to her Dean wrapped an arm around her shoulders, Sam was next to him with his arm around his brothers neck. None of them could muster a smile until Bobby stood himself directly in front of the brothers, there was only a few seconds before the flash went off blinding all of them.

They didn’t say anything as they made their way out of Bobby’s house in single file, they all knew what they were getting themselves into and they all knew it could possibly be the last time they ever saw each other. It was getting to everyone but no one was brave enough to be the first to admit their fears, even Sunny who was prone for bursting into tears anytime one of the men around her did anything stupid was silent, her head resting lightly on Castiel’s shoulder as Bobby’s van made it’s way out of Singers Scrap Yard.

“Where are we going Bobby?” Sunny asked finally after half an hour of silent driving, the older man didn’t say anything for a few minutes but she didn’t rush him, he had been Sam and Dean’s father since John had died.

“The devils in Detroit” he replied gruffly “Cass…” he peered at the fallen angel in the mirror “what are…” he licked his top lip “do you think this will work? What are Sam‘s chances?”

“To hold Lucifer Sam would need to consume more demon blood than he’s ever done before, almost two gallons-”

“So we’re going to have to drain two demons?” Bobby shook his head as a grim look fell across his face “is he going to die Castiel? Will this be the last time I ever see my boy?” Castiel glanced at Sunny in desperate hope of some help with an answer, on some level Sunny knew he had to know that Sam was going to die…he was going to throw himself into Lucifer’s cage, he was going to sacrifice himself so the rest of the world could survive, there was no way Sam was going to come out of that in one piece.

“Uh” Castiel started “he’s going to throw himself into Lucifer’s cage…I’m…I’m sorry?” unfortunately his comfort came out more as a question as he placed his hand on Bobby’s shoulder “we should find some demons soon, the blood has to be fresh” as Castiel sat back into his seat Bobby brought his cell phone from his pocket and called Dean, Sunny chose not to invade in their final moments and kept herself distracted with the wound across her skull.

After a few hours of driving the van rolled to a stop outside an old, wooden house. Bobby grabbed his shotgun from the seat beside him and turned to glance into the back of the van “you two stay here, we don’t need anymore casualties” the man clambered from the van, slamming the door over behind him. Through the windscreen Sunny watched as Sam and Dean joined him, they hugged and it didn’t even look like Dean was uncomfortable, before they made their way inside the house.

“Are you prepared for the apocalypse Sunshine?” the sombre tone of Castiel’s voice pulled Sunny from her trance, she glanced at him with wide, afraid eyes. She wasn’t ready to die, she never married, she never had children, she never got that job she wanted or got the chance to tell her family that she was sorry and that she loved them, there was so much she wanted, no, needed to do before a family feud up above took everything away from her. She had faith in Sam, of course she did, but Castiel’s obvious doubts in the plan bit at her throat, making her afraid again.

Before she got the chance to answer him Bobby was climbing back into the front seat, there was a light blood splatter across his flannel shirt but he said nothing as he backed the van back out onto the road and headed for Detroit.

&&

In front of them was an apartment block, three stories high and looking exactly like the rest of the apartment blocks running up and down the streets but inside the top floor of this block the devil was waiting. He was waiting, ready for the brothers because he always knew, he knew how what move they were going to pull before they made it and he knew the end of the fight before it even began.

Finally the group turned away from the apartment, their eyes washing over everyone else around them. They were silent because nobody knew what to say, there were words that had to be said but nobody wanted to be the first to say them, after a moment it was Sam to break the dark mood with a quiet sigh

“I uh, I guess I should go drink the uh…the demon juice” he motioned to the trunk of the impala with his thumb “look…I just, if this goes wrong-” he was cut off by the groups sudden out bursts of ‘don’t talk like that’ and ‘if you don’t believe in your own plan how are we supposed too?’ he shook his head with a sigh “guys seriously…” he glanced down to his feet then back up again as he pulled Bobby in for a hug, they didn’t say anything until they broke apart again, he looked to Castiel and moved towards him with a hand held out “take care of these guys for me” they shook hands

“You know that isn’t possible” Sam laughed quietly

“Humour me man”

“Oh that’s right, I’m supposed to lie” Sam laughed again “good luck Sam” a grim look fell across both their faces before they looked to Sunny who had began sniffling quietly, he opened his arms for her but she turned away from him the tears building a little quicker

“You know I have to do this Sunny, I need to save the planet” she braved a glance at him but felt like a child as she burst into tears “come on, everything…everything will be fine okay? I’m going to go in there and kick Lucifer’s ass-”

“And then you’re going to throw yourself into the cage with him, who knows how long it’s going to take us to find a way to get you out without letting Lucifer out as well. Just don’t do it Sam, if you say yes you’re playing right into his hands-”

“And if I say no everybody dies” he sighed heavily before grabbing her shoulders and forcing her to look at him “I don’t want you guys to come after me, when I’m down there I need to stay there. I just…you don’t need to be blood to be family, I can’t go into this knowing that you hate me for taking you away from your real family…”

“Then I don’t forgive you!” Sunny cried collapsing against his chest, he was quick to wrap his arms around in a tight hug “I don’t forgive you and I still hate you for it, everyday I wake up and try to think of ways to make you as miserable as you made me. I don’t even blame Dean just you, you‘re the smart one” she hiccupped and stood back from him “now you can’t go kill yourself, I don’t forgive you so you can’t”

She seemed to melt into Castiel’s arms as he pulled her against him, she wailed loudly for a second before burying her face into his chest to muffle the sounds “I just don’t want him to die Cass” she mumbled softly, she turned in Castiel’s arms so she could see Sam stood with a sad expression across his face “I forgive you, please be safe”

“You start swinging the second he gets in there and you keep swinging until he’s damn near dead” the sadness with laced thickly within Bobby’s words “I’ll see you around kid, you better down that demon juice while its still warm” Sam nodded and moved towards the back of the impala, Dean followed seconds later and everyone left them to say their goodbyes alone. They were the only two people Sunny knew that had literally died for each other, she knew that Dean would never just leave Sammy down in that cage, she felt the tears start up again as they hug tightly like it would the last time they had the chance. Sunny turned away as Sam lifted one of the large containers of demon blood to his lips “we uh, we better stay down here, it ain’t going to be safe up there, probably won’t safe out here neither but-” he was cut off by the trunk slamming shut, there was a smirk across Sam’s face as he wiped his lips

“Lets do this” his voice was lower, angrier as he stormed past the group completely forgetting that Dean was going with him, there was a moment silence as they rushed into the apartment, no one said anything until the first gun shot went off.

&&

They lost track of time, maybe it was only a few minutes they waited but it felt like hours, the entire time spent in silence until the ring of Bobby’s cell phone cut the tension, he fumbled for it quickly and sat it against his ear “Dean? Dean are you okay? Did the plan work?” his face fell even further before he took off in a run towards the apartment, Sunny and Castiel were quick to follow him as he entered the building and up to the third floor.

Around them the vessels of dead demons littered the floor and then laying up against one of the walls they found Dean, a few cuts scattered across his face as he clutched his shoulder “what happened?” Bobby asked as Sunny rushed past him and dropped at Dean’s side, immediately helping to put his shoulder back into place

“Sammy said yes, I thought he’d won be time I even got up to the floor, he had the cage open but…but it wasn’t him and Lucifer…he got Sam” his eyes were watering as Sunny helped him back onto his feet “then they beat the crap out of me and he kept laughing, saying he knew it was going to happen and that Sam was always going to say yes”

“Where did they go boy?” Bobby asked in a panicked tone “tell me you didn’t just let him leave wearing your brother like a prom suit, tell me you didn’t let him go” when Dean didn’t respond he turned away and tugged his hat from his head “I knew this was a bad plan, but I let you go through with it” he shook his head and pinched the bridge of his nose to hide that he was going to cry “we gotta go find him before he hurts himself or someone else”.