Status: Complete

The Best Thing That's Ever Been Mine

Chapter 22

I woke up the next morning, my eyes sore from crying. I went into the bathroom and took a shower. Once I got in and turned the water on, I couldn’t keep myself from crying. I sat down on the shower floor in the corner and just cried letting the water run. I don’t know how long I was in there but I heard the shower door open and the water being shut off. “Oh baby, come here,” Jon said pulling me up, wrapping a towel around me and pulling me close to him. I wrapped my arms around him and cried into his chest. He put his arms around me and rubbed my back trying to get me to calm down. “Chels it breaks my heart to see you cry,” Jon whispered in my ear. “I’m sorry, I don’t know how long it will take me to get over this, but I’m trying,” I sobbed. “I know and I want you to know that I’m here for you and I love you, so, so much,” Jon said kissing my forehead, “Do you want to come to practice with me today? I don’t want you to be alone.” I nodded. “Alright, I’ll let you get dressed and then we can go,” Jon said leading me out of the bathroom.

We got to the rink and walked into the locker room. Most of the guys were there already. I saw that Jenn, Robyn and Sarah were there as well. “Wow you two look like shit. Rough night,” Kaner asked. Jon just glared at him. “So Chelsey how’s the baby?” asked Robyn. I tried so hard not to cry, but it was no use as tears rolled down my checks. “Baby,” Jon cooed as he wrapped his arms around me. I held tightly onto Jon and buried my face in his chest. “What did I say?” Robyn asked. “We-we lost the baby,” Jon whispered. “What! Oh my god I’m so sorry Chels,” Robyn apologized. “It’s alright you didn’t know,” Jon replied. Everyone came and said how sorry they were. “Okay I have to get ready now. Are you sure you’re gonna be okay?” Jon asked as he wiped my tears away. “I think so,” I sighed. “We’ll be with her to keep her company,” Jenn said. “Alright, I love you,” Jon said bending down to give me a sweet kiss. “Love you too,” I replied. Sarah, Robyn, Jenn and I then went to go sit on the bench and watch the boys practice.

Once practice was over Jon and I went home. I went over and sat down on the couch grabbing a blanket and wrapping it around myself pulling my knees to my chest. Jon came and sat down beside me, pulling me close to him. “How are you feeling babe?” Jon asked as he wrapped his arms around me. “Horrible, I feel like this is all my fault. Like maybe if I did something different we would still be pregnant,” I said tears escaping from my eyes. “Hey, hey,” Jon said wiping my tears away with his thumb, “It is not your fault, nothing is your fault.” “But why? Why did this have to happen to us? It’s not fair!” I cried. “I know but we still have each other, and when you’re ready maybe we can try again, on purpose this time.” “You mean you’re ready for kids?” “Yeah, I am, when you’re ready though.” I smiled and leaned up to kiss him. “Thank you,” I whispered.

A few days past and both mine and Jon’s parents were coming down to visit. I was getting the condo ready while Jon went to go pick them up at the airport. About an hour later I heard the door open, “Chels we’re home,” Jon called. I came to greet them. “Hi mom, dad. Hi Andree, Bryan” I said giving them each a hug. “Hi Chelsey, how are you?” My mom asked. “Some days are better than others.” “It’s such a shame we were really looking forward to becoming grandparents,” Andree said sympathetically. “So were we,” my mom agreed. I gave a weak smile and then excused myself. I went into the bedroom and shut the door. I went over to my side of the bed and slowly sat down on the floor and cried. A few minutes later I heard a knock on the door, “Chels are you alright?” Jon asked opening the door. I turned around to see Jon in the doorway. “Oh Chels,” Jon said sitting down beside me and pulling me onto his lap. “I let them down, they really wanted to be grandparents and I let them down” I sobbed. “Hey, no you didn’t. And they’ll get to be grandparents one day,” Jon whispered. We heard a knock on the door, “Jonathan, Chelsey can we come in?” Andree asked poking her head through the open door as she and my mom stepped into the room. “Chels,” my mom sighed as she and Andree sat on opposite sides of Jon and me. “I’m sorry I lost your grand child,” I sobbed into Jon’s chest. “It’s not your fault, Chelsey, these things happen,” my mom said. “And we’ll be grandparents one day,” Andree smiled. “Thanks,” I said feeling a little better. “Are you gonna come back out there,” Andree asked. “Yeah just give us a minute,” Jon replied. “See I told you they wouldn’t be mad,” Jon whispered kissing my forehead once Andree and my mom had left. “Yeah I was just thinking the worst I guess.” “I love you so much Chelsey. I don’t ever want to lose you.” “I love you too and you won’t ever lose me,” I said leaning up to kiss Jon.