Jail Break

Snow

Snow and I have become close friends. We are both caged for crimes that are not our fault. She is caged for being a snow leopard and not human- a beautiful creature that people want to stare at like she is a wondrous toy or something, not a living being. Me, I am caged for being a shapeshifter. I can't be myself around those that I love most.

I can not even tell the person I am dating. Yes, we love each other, but he is human. He would look down his nose at me like a science experiment, just like my sister deals with constantly at the zoo. I am not a science experiment. I am not a tourist attraction. I am a living, breathing creature.

Snow knows I feel angry today. She greets me with a "tell me everything" look. She doesn't have to know much- just the basic part that she will take part in.

"Are you tired of being stuck here?" I asked. She snorted a "duh" at me. I grinned. "Good. Tonight, I am breaking you out of here. I promise. You and I can go live with the wolves- they worship snow leaopards like us, I hear. If not, we can take 'em."

She looks at me like I'm crazy. She doesn't think we will be able to pull it off. I chuckle as I tell her that since it is a relatively small zoo, they only have two guards- one at each entrance, and one of them falls asleep on post every night while the other can be easily distracted. She shoots me a "holy shit, you are serious" look, glances around her cell, then looks back at me with a grateful smile on her face which turns menacing.

If she had developed vocal cords, she would have just told me she loves me. I rolled my eyes and looked for my hiding place, considering it was nearing nighttime.

We would be free.