You've Got a Perfect Skin With a Devil's Grin

Chapter 10

The next time that I woke up, I couldn't remember where I was. I could feel a dull ache on the back of my head, and steady beeping could be heard all around me. I slowly opened one eye, a bright white room coming into view. I sighed as I realized that I was in a hospital bed, but there was not a person to be seen around me. I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes and tried to sit up, only to fall back down, landing on the sore spot at the back of my head. I groaned in pain, grasping for the source of the pain. The door to the room was closed but I could see a shadowed figure standing in front of it.

Whispered voices were coming from the otherside of the closed door, one sounded like Katty but I couldn't distinguish the other voice. My heart began to flutter as I thought of Katty; she was such a perfect girl and I was so lucky to have her. The smile that had begun to creep across my facial features quickly faded as I thought of Brian. It was all his fault that I was laying here, he shoved me into the corner of the counter in the bathroom. Anger flew through my body at the memory, how could he do that to me? I curled my fingers into a fist, gripping and un-gripping the sheets on the bed. How did I get here? I wondered.

The anger began to drain from my body as I realized that Brian must have brought me here; just before I'd passed out, Brian had held me in my arms and appologized for his actions. I told him I missed him, I thought. Did I really miss him though? Of course you do, don't be stupid, the voice in my head told me. I sighed, I can't be mad at him, he makes me feel happy and a part of me feels like it's missing when he's not around. I wish I could be with him, I really do. But it would devastate Katty as well as Zacky, poor Zacky is so hung up on Brian that he'd walk to the end of the world just to be with him, I couldn't take that away.

I sat up in the bed, careful not to hit my head or injure myself even further. I saw a button beside the bed, I'd never been in a hospital before but I figured if it was anything like what I'd seen on television, if I pressed the button then a nurse would suddenly appear. I shrugged my shoulders and quickly pressed the button. My eyes darted around the room in every direction, hoping that I hadn't done something very stupid. My eyes came tor est on the doorway as a young, blonde woman quietly entered through it. When she saw that I was awake, she smiled at me.

"It's nice to see you awake, Mr. Seward. You've been out for quite sometime. My name is Betsey and I'll be your nurse for the duration of your stay."

I silently thanked God for sending the nurse from my wet dreams, "How long have I been here?" My voice cracked.

"About three days... Would you like a glass of water?"

"That would be nice, thanks."

She walked across the room and picked up a bright pink water jug, beside the jug was a matching plastic cup. I visibly cringed at the colour of the utensils and the nurse chuckled slightly. She placed the jug back onto the counter and brought the glass over, carefully handing it to me.

"If I had a dollar for everytime a guy has cringed at the site of this cup, I'd be rich."

I smiled at her, "pink isn't really my colour."

"I noticed."

"So, has anyone been here to see me?"

The nurse nodded her head, "there has been a young boy, about your age sitting beside your bed for the past three days. He refuses to leave your side."

I grinned, "oh, that must be Jimmy. He's my bestfriend."

The nurse shook her head, "no, this guy told me his name was Brian, the boy who brought you in?"

"He stayed with me this entire time?" I whispered.

"It seems that way, yes. He's waiting outside, would you like for me to invite him in?"

"Sure, and could you maybe give us a moment alone?"

"Of course."

When Brian walked through the door, my heart rate began to speed up. My face grew warm as the heart monitor I was hooked up to mirrored how I was feeling. Brian giggled when he saw the blush growing across my cheeks, he pulled up a chair beside the bed and grasped my hand in his slighlty larger one. I looked into his eyes and my heart broke; the hurt was so deeply embedded in those gorgeous chocolate orbs. I knew that I was the reason for his sadness and that really killed me inside. I lightly squeezed his hand, and tucked a stray piece of hair that had fallen into his face behind his ear. We continued to stare at each other for a few moments, neither breaking the comfortable silence.

"I was so worried about you." Brian finally spoke in a hushed tone.

"You didn't need to stay."

"I wanted to."

I could feel a fresh batch of tears welling up behind my eyelids, I didn't want to cry but I couldn't help myself. "Hold me?" I whispered.

"Always."

Brian crawled up onto the bed beside me and wrapped his warm arms around my small frame, careful not to hurt me. I snuggled into his embrace, trying desperately to stop worrying about Katty and Zacky. Brian placed a kiss onto my forehead then laced his fingers with my own, they were a perfect fit. I could feel my eyelids growing heavier by the second but fought to stay awake.

"What are we, Brian?" I asked.

Brian looked into my eyes, "I don't know what we are Johnny, but I know that we could be something."